PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Your 2016 Pittsburgh Steelers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I forgot you guys had Gilbert now lol.

I think this game will be much closer than expected. I'm thinking of a game like the 2011 Colts 31-24 result where Orlovsky carved us up (partially because we let him).

I think we're going to try shutting down Brown and Bell (who knows how viable that is), which gives Landry Jones a good shot at putting up numbers. I could see the defense letting him throw it all day to Rogers and James. I'm primarily scared that the defense won't play 60 minutes, which has happened too often this season. I noticed you said Jones is a virtual lock to throw 2 or 3 picks--fun fact: the New England Patriots of 2016 have thrown and caught a combined 0 interceptions. Both streaks gotta end someday, though. I've got a feeling both end Sunday.

I didn't talk at all about our offense versus your defense primarily because I don't think this offense really cares what defense they play. They only beat themselves.

I think the Patriots still come out with a 27-20 win, but that's not a blowout.

Wow, you're a Steeler's fan? I have to say that you are a giant among midgets with an excellent and intelligent post like this. I enjoyed reading, thanks and welcome to the board.

Pitt has historically done better than expected with him out of the lineup. I'm hoping to 'hold serve' - basically, play .500 ball for the period he's out.'

The AFCN seems like it's having a down year. The Bengals have a ton of physical talent but I think have been hurt with some of the defections (not least of which was H.Jackson). I wasn't really sold on the Ravens even before their recent slide.

Bottom line, I think Pitt could still win the division with as few as 10 wins. They have a much easier schedule this year than last as well. I've got to believe that they'll be favorites in most of their games down the stretch if they can just get a bunch of their guys back.

Maybe I'm just 'whistling past the graveyard', but I think Pitt at or near full strength can beat most teams in the AFC outside of NE.
Pitt is a high-powered team with Roeth. Defense is average but the O is SB caliber.

Does anyone else feel like Heinz Field doesn't get that loud?

As you may remember last meeting with the Pats, Brown was covered by then super bowl hero Malcolm Butler, who was schooled by Brown that day. It's been over a year and a lot of experience later, but Brown will still treat Butler like he treats every other corner in the league although he may be surprised in Butlers progress..

Luckily for the Pats it wont be Roethlisberger throwing the ball, so that should help Butler a lot.

The Pats have been stout against the run, so I would expect Bell to be brought to earth.

Last game Gronk and Edelman were Brady's go to guys. This game Bennett and Hogan have taken throws away from Edelman, but he is still there and still open as Gronk has been.

I expect a Steelers ground game with occasional WR passes . Unless the game gets out of hand I would expect a slow methodical ground game trying to use up the clock and keep the ball out of Brady's hands.

Good Luck with that.

There's not really a good reason for it, but I think somehow, someway, Pittsburgh hangs around. Patriots 23, Steelers 16.

Well, let's make up a tinfoil hat story then - the Patriots are just trolling the gameday threads! :D

Try getting banned from the Chargers forum because you make your location "Your Mother's Ass". I hadn't even made my first post yet. :(

Baltimore Ravens forums make you wait like 30 days before you can even post, and then they send you consistent warning messages that if you say anything that displeases them, they will ban you for life and have Ray Rice come beat your wife and Ray Lewis will kill your extended family.

Greetings Pats Fans,
lillloyd
Nice job Lloyd, but be careful of all the flattery you've gotten, if you were less pessimistic, it might have been a different story. ;)

Add me to the large number of fans who were looking forward to a nice heavyweight fight amongst equals in order to gauge where are teams are at the near half way point of the season. On the other hand, no one gave us an ounce of sympathy when we were leading the league in starters injuries and players on IR, so it's nice to be on the other side for a change.

I think you ARE being too pessimistic though. It's easy to say, "just bracket AB and stop Bell". But that is what EVERY team's plan is for the Steeler offense, and yet AB and Bell keep on racking up All Pro stats, so I'm sure the Steelers will have something prepared for what the Pats are likely to do.

Along with lots of touches for Bell, I think we'll see AB in motion or in stacked set in order to get him clean releases off the LOS. I also think it would be wise for the Steelers to be patient and take what the Pats give you on defense, because they will give up stuff underneath to protect against the "big play". It's just the way BB wants to play (much to the frustration of many here). We are second in the NFL in scoring D, yet many here think our defense isn't Superbowl quality. I don't understand it but it "is what it is".

I think Landry is good enough that the Steelers will move the ball. We don't have a 4 man pass rush that will scare anyone as individuals, but as a unit they will provide pressure, but few sacks. We blitz rarely but effectively, and our secondary people are all excellent tacklers.

As for our offense, it really IS scary. Right now we have a few guys playing hurt, but they ARE playing. The OL is still our biggest question. The C and 2 G's are either rookies or 2nd year guys. The right T is our back up that a lot of people don't like here, but he seems to be playing better than expected. No probowls here, but rather a better than average well coached group that we hope will get better the more experienced they become. It is however the key to any success the Steelers might have.

The Bengals provided an excellent bluepring last week in how to defend this offensive juggernaut. They were very physical on the LOS to keep Brady from getting rid of the ball quickly and in rhythm. They rushed 4 and got enough pressure to move Brady off his spot, and they doubled Gronk (and held him like mad). It worked well enough to hold the Pats to just 10 first half points. And when they started the 2nd half with a TD on their first drive, they held a 14-10 lead. They actually got a stop on the Pats first drive of the half (actually the pats killed their own drive with penalties).....and then the let loose the dogs.

They made adjustments to the pass blocking and routes they were running and suddenly everyone was open, and Brady had tons of time, and the rest is blow out history. 35-17 in a game that was over by the start of the 4th quarter.

Cinci has that good pass rushing DL, but their LB's couldn't stay with Gronk, Bennett, and James White (a player we'd all like to upgrade, but keeps on being productive if unspectacular anyways) Good hands- zero run threat.

So I think, especially at home, the Steelers can have some success in frustrating the Pats offense. The problem is to be able to do for 60 minutes, because once they decipher the defensive game plan, regardless of how good it was to start, they will be hard to stop.

For the Steelers, TO's are the key. You can't turn the ball over to the Pats, and you have to create some of your own. The Pats have a good Defense, but have been weak in the read zone and on 3rd down. On the plus side, as I said, they don't seem to allow many points (about 15/game).

I'm not worried about Brady playing on the road, but I am about the other 45 guys who will dress. The OL and defense are pretty young, and this is only Brady's 3rd game back from his travesty of justice. Still working out the kink, though the stats say he's doing fine. I see the Pats winning the game, but the ball bounces funny sometimes and sh!t happens. We just have to look at what happened last week in Miami. NO one expect you guys to lose that game, let alone get crushed.

Good teams bounce back, especially at home...and the Steelers might just be the other best team in the AFC. So regardless of what transpires on Sunday, a rematch is likely in our future.

lilloyd-thanks for the post-lotta good stuff-and appreciate all the effort.
I pretty much agree with you on the game-except the final score might be a bit closer-I think the pats will have a big lead by early 4th quarter, so steelers might get a few garbage-time scores. long-term, with ben coming back-we'll likely meet again in January. The steelers are the ONLY afc team that poses a threat to the pats SB hopes. Sorry denver just doesnt scare me-long as pats are healthy, theyll destroy em. If both NE-PITT are fully healthy-theyre the 2 best offenses in the nfl-and very close. Id give the pats a slight edge there because of the 2 tes-especially in RZ. But the pats have a far superior D-top 5 in the league-while i think the steelers are middle-of the-pack.(which is an improvement from where theyve been last few years. in the end, unless injuries ruin our season again like last year, the pats should wrap up the #1 seed-and nobodys beating them at home in the playoffs. Were an afc champ. game being played in heinz-then that would be a close game. i think we could be looking at the 2 best teams in the nfl over the next coupla years.

@lillloyd

I can't match your analysis but yours was a great read. Thanks

Great write up @lillloyd. You're one of the good ones. I also think you're being a little pessimistic. AB and Bell are two supreme talents and there's a chance one or the other might have a frustrating day, but not both. I think the Pats win fairly easy, but it's not like I expect the Steelers to embarrass themselves.

As you may remember last meeting with the Pats, Brown was covered by then super bowl hero Malcolm Butler, who was schooled by Brown that day. It's been over a year and a lot of experience later, but Brown will still treat Butler like he treats every other corner in the league although he may be surprised in Butlers progress..

If it's even Butler covering Brown. Ryan has been getting some of those assignments this season.

Well some Steelers fans are still confident...

Welcome back, lillloyd! Thanks for the great write-up.

Wow, I forgot you guys had Gilbert now lol.

I think this game will be much closer than expected. I'm thinking of a game like the 2011 Colts 31-24 result where Orlovsky carved us up (partially because we let him).

I think we're going to try shutting down Brown and Bell (who knows how viable that is), which gives Landry Jones a good shot at putting up numbers. I could see the defense letting him throw it all day to Rogers and James. I'm primarily scared that the defense won't play 60 minutes, which has happened too often this season. I noticed you said Jones is a virtual lock to throw 2 or 3 picks--fun fact: the New England Patriots of 2016 have thrown and caught a combined 0 interceptions. Both streaks gotta end someday, though. I've got a feeling both end Sunday.

I didn't talk at all about our offense versus your defense primarily because I don't think this offense really cares what defense they play. They only beat themselves.

I think the Patriots still come out with a 27-20 win, but that's not a blowout.

i think you missed a few interceptions by the patriots defense. 4 to be exact.

@lillloyd, this is awesome, thanks. Like others, I've nothing to add as far as gameplay/strategy, so I'll just ask a couple questions about the future. Grab your crystal ball! :)

I'm curious as to how you feel about Bell since his decision making has caused him to be suspended the last two years. Do you feel that his actions are causing a riff between him and the Rooneys for a new contract, regardless of his otherworldly talent, and if so, is it possible that he leaves if one more wrong move, ala Josh Gordon?

The next CBA negotiations are coming and the Steelers were probably the one team that rejected the last one. Do you think it's possible they recruit more teams during talks or continue to fly by their lonesome, especially considering the latest Josh Browns news and how it's riffed a bunch of players?

Thanks again!

i think you missed a few interceptions by the patriots defense. 4 to be exact.

Must have read that one place and decided it was the truth, oops. I do like to see those gifs all over again, though.

As pessimistic as I am about this particular game, I'm actually hopeful for the rest of the season. Theoretically, at least, we should be getting quite a few guys back (including some guys like Green and Dupree who have yet to take a snap). When healthy, we may not have enough to be the prohibitive favorite, but we should have enough to at least be a handful for another squad.

Speaking of guys missing extended time - did Dion Lewis get PUP'd, or fully IR'd? When healthy that guy was amazing to watch last year. Gotta root for guys like that who take advantage and really show something after paying their dues.

This is probably the one season where you truly can afford missing ben 4-6 weeks. Who in that division can take advantage of his absense, probably nobody this year. It may cost you a playoff bye, but you should still be in the playoffs and at that point its a new season. So plenty reason to be optimistic once he comes back.

Dion was pupd and should be eligible to practice soon!

Greetings Pats Fans,

Best wishes for a good and healthy game,

lillloyd

Ah, what the heck, I'm sitting here back killing me when I want to be sleeping in anyway...let me give this a shot...

Pats Offense - skill:

Pick your poison - and it may be nightshade in the first half and arsenic in the second. Two all-pro TEs, quick WRs, speed WRs, White catching, Blount rumbling - the Pats offense has shown every one of those attributes in a game winning fashion so far this year. So while there isn't a lot of experience with the new Pittsburgh defensive staff tendencies, the Pats have the weapons to make wholesale adjustments to whatever they throw at them in this game. Oh, and some guy behind C, married to this supermodel from Brazil...which is probably his least noteworthy career accomplishment...

Pats OL:

You want a weakness? Here it is. Luckily for the Pats, the more "lunch pail" attitude, lost last year, has seemingly returned, but skill wise they're still not on par with the best lines in the game. The right side and C especially can be had with good technique and relentlessness, but it may require some selling out given TB and the aforementioned offensive weapons that can both get open and have massive catch radii particularly. Not great in any one area, but not terrible either.

Pats defense:

Morphology. Fun word. Defines the Patriots defense. 3-4. Yes. 4-3. Uh huh. 5-2. Sure. 4-2-5. Absolutely. 3-3-5. Affirmative. 3-1-6. Roger. The Steelers may see all of them or just one. Will BB decide to take away Bell and leave Butler 1-1 with Brown? Maybe? Or the reverse, let Bell pretty much run all over and flood the zone with DBs hoping to get a couple picks as game changing plays? Maybe try to take both somewhat out with a 5-2 alignment, three cornerbacks and lone safety help to Brown's side (doubtful as that's too gambling, but you never know)? However, the Pats team has struggled on third down - both in execution as well as penalties (about half and half as to reasons why the high percentage). If the Steelers can keep getting positive first and second down yardage leaving short down and distance? They can do some things against this team. Additionally, the pass rush has been held back - picking key moments to bring pressure as the normal front four haven't gotten much push. Though that has also been different in many Steelers games with a couple heavy blitz plans used in the past even with Ben's footwork. As you can see, even I have no clue here as to the Pats defense really - it's been that kind of year so far for this unit.

Special teams:

Bring a helmet.

Seriously, a padded one - with straps.

Love this unit on this team, even with Ghost's struggles this is the Pats unit that just brings it physically, with tremendous speed in coverage. They have maybe 3 of the top four gunners in the league (King, Slater and Jones...wait forgot about Ebner too) and a smart consistent punter. They also have two legitimate game breakers at PR in Amendola and Edelman. If you see the name Jones on the back clap your hands as he's struggled in this area so far as a rookie with muffs. As I said too - the kicking (for points) game right now is just off - many theorizing it's the new kickoffs that have worked his mechanics, while others postulating a more psychological reason from missing in the AFCCG last year. Whichever it is - right now he's a legitimate pucker factor player when he steps on the field to try for points. If the game comes down to that aspect - the Steelers should be ecstatic with hope. So while I LOVE the unit on the whole, they can be had at the "skill" portion.Guess I'm showing bias here huh?

Coaching:
While I think the Steelers love playing for Tomlin...is that an offset? BB is the GOOT (greatest of our time) with some legitimate grasp on GOAT. McDaniels will be a HC again and Patricia may get calls of his own this year. Dante is indeed an inferno...we missed him...he's back...the OL has improved which was our legitimate achilles heel last year. While Haley has made Pittsburgh's offense a machine - and will have success against this defense, can the never ending chess match overcome the talent difference of TB and the Steelers defense against the Pats offense on the whole?

Game Thoughts:
It's the classic 'puncher vs technician' boxing match. Steelers are going to try and land a haymaker early to offset the talent difference with Ben out. They had success last year with deep passes - guys running wide open - but drops haunted your guys. I think they'll try that again to see if they can jump ahead early and make it a shootout which is contrary to everyone thinking it's going to be Bell, Bell, and more Bell - which it will be if that early lead materializes. Defensively I think they'll either mirror what Cinci did last week (bump and run, try to get home with four rushers) and if doesn't work, send the house - a lot. The Pats will do what they always do play a little base to start - analyze what Pittsburgh is doing on offense and adjust. On offense, I just can't see the Steelers LBs keeping up with the triumvirate of Gronk, Marty, and White. TB will isolate their worst guy on one of them and just exploit the heck out of it. And if they go zone - Edelman sits in seams and either Gronk or Marty rips one big one up the middle seam just like always. All that said, Steelers have enough talent on offense, and the Pats don't go too aggressive on D and it's likely a close game all the way so we Pats fans have to sweat a couple Ghost kicks.

Prediction:
I don't predict - because I suck at it. Good game, low flags, no injuries. Sound like a plan?

Must have read that one place and decided it was the truth, oops. I do like to see those gifs all over again, though.

Stop listening to 98.5 the Sports Dud. :mad:

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes