PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

You fools want to write off Chad Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chad has to demonstrate that he is (1) healthy (2) committed to being the best Patriot he can (3) mature on and off the field. Then all Pats fans will embrace him. It's pretty simple. Performance= love. I still have high hopes for him, personally, but I see his impact in 2008, when either Moss or Stallworth departs.

Last edited:
So i guess everyone is saying Kelley Washington is crap on this team.

I think when they added Moss, it made his chances to make the team very slim. I see him as this year's David Terrell or Johnathan Sullivan. He is a guy they were high on before he was drafted, but ultimately didn't draft him for one reason or another and hasn't performed up to his predraft expectations. The Pats are now taking a look to see if his disapointing career so far is a case of him being in the wrong situation or just that he crapped out at the NFL level. He will need to show a lot of what the Pats liked of him before he was drafted to make it and so far he hasn't done it.

I still think that with Welker, Moss, and Stallowrth probably not going to be 100% up to speed with the offense, it will be crucial to keep Caldwell and Gaffney (and Brown if he can recover enough) on the roster to keep some continuity on the offense. That makes Washigton's chances very slim. Without Moss here, the Pats could have kept him around because they still could keep Caldwell and Gaffney.

I dont think he'd be IR

by week 7 your depth chart goes:

MOSS
STALLWORTH
JACKSON
WELKER
GAFFNEY
BROWN

They will carry 6 receivers this year

Why is your opinion of Welker so low?

Welker will be the #3 WR on this team in July, August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December, January, February...until his contract expires.

Why is your opinion of Welker so low?

Welker will be the #3 WR on this team in July, August, September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August, September, October, November, December, January, February...until his contract expires.

I personally think Welker could be the #2 WR in quite a few games. I am not convinced that both Stallworth and Moss will be our fulltime starters. Their strengths don't play into Brady's. Welker is more of a fit for Brady's surgical strike style. Although Brady doesn't have poor arm strength, it isn't his strength. I still wonder if Moss, in particular, and Stallowrth can fit into a surgical strike offense.

I think we will stretch the field more this year (if we did it in 2005 with Andre Davis, why wouldn't we with Moss and Stallworth), but I don't see us going to a vertical offense unless the defense we are facing dictates it. I think that means that Welker (and Gaffney, Caldwell, and potential Brown) will see the field a lot more than a lot of people are expecting and Moss and/or Stallworth may be taken off the field more than people are expecting.

Chad has to demonstrate that he is (1) healthy (2) committed to being the best Patriot he can (3) mature on and off the field. Then all Pats fans will embrace him. It's pretty simple. Performance= love. I still have high hopes for him, personally, but I see his impact in 2008, when either Moss or Stallworth departs.

Your on it Pony....he needs to get and stay healthy first of all and then he needs to show up for meetings on time, with his playbook. It would also help if he learned his playbook and while I know he is young - he needs to grow up.

He has the talent - now he needs to figure it all out, he sure did not get off to a rousing start.

I dont think there are any Pats fans on here that don't want Chad to have a great season and career. With his God-given talents it would be a shame to not be able to see the heights he could achieve. Plus he wants to fail on a second round pick?

I personally think Welker could be the #2 WR in quite a few games. I am not convinced that both Stallworth and Moss will be our fulltime starters. Their strengths don't play into Brady's. Welker is more of a fit for Brady's surgical strike style. Although Brady doesn't have poor arm strength, it isn't his strength. I still wonder if Moss, in particular, and Stallowrth can fit into a surgical strike offense.

I think we will stretch the field more this year (if we did it in 2005 with Andre Davis, why wouldn't we with Moss and Stallworth), but I don't see us going to a vertical offense unless the defense we are facing dictates it. I think that means that Welker (and Gaffney, Caldwell, and potential Brown) will see the field a lot more than a lot of people are expecting and Moss and/or Stallworth may be taken off the field more than people are expecting.

Either 1000 yards, or 10 TDs, is truly, truly a standout year for any given receiver. So in that sense, no, we won't see jaw-dropping numbers from Moss or Stallworth.

The "surgical strike" you mentioned here a couple of times means very little. You don't go deep too often when you don't have deep threats, in most years. A fast guy, by the way, is not necessarily a deep threat, not a truly dangerous one. Witness Bethel Johnson and Andre Davis. Think about those guys' hands and instincts versus Moss' or Stallworth's.

But I do know what you mean: the Pats will more likely burn you for 10, 12, 15 yards than for 30 or 40. Brady is not a "gunslinger."

I agree. He will burn you once or twice a game via that deep threat -- and from then on, you have to respect the deep threat, if indeed you did not begin the game that way. The Welkers, Maroneys, and Watsons will benefit greatly from the performance of the Mosses and Stallworths.

Ask me whether Moss will be here next year and I have to say I don't know. Ditto Stallworth. Ask me if Welker will be, and I have say odds on he will be. This is pretty much telegraphed to us by the nature of the respective deals they have signed.

Jackson's on a rookie deal, and will be again next year. They have the luxury of not rushing him back, but they will want a peek at what they've got in him. If he produces we will see him again. But he will not star.

All the 1-year attention for other receivers suggests that this year handsomely fills the gap between the past -- Branch, Givens, Patten -- and the future -- Chad Jackson? Stallworth and/or Moss? Welker. This year is sort of like "what we shoulda done last year," rather than the "New Look Patriots" or the "look of the future." Though I think we get to see half of the future -- the golden years of Moss, or the rising star of Stalloworth -- combined with the Slot of the Future, Welker, and if we're lucky, a "#2" [sic] of the future in CJackson.

This year we're pretty much throwing a bunch of guys at the wall to see who/what sticks. And don't be surprised if a Kelly Washington, Reche Caldwell, or Jabar Gaffney snakes in there. Past production does not guarantee future performance.

PFnV

If he proves himself, next year you'll see his 700 yards and 8 TDs, not this year.

I agree. It's as silly to just declare CJ's unavoidable ascension as it is when the haters call him a no-doubt "bust." I like the guy, but he will VERY likely do little this year. If he can stick around, learn, stay healthy (once he IS healthy) it will be reflected in 2008.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/06/23/jacksons_rehabilitation_moving_without_a_snag/

Chad Jackson will be a factor this season. He has all of the tools to be as good as any in the NFL. For those of you think he was a waste of a draft pick need to realize that most NFL receivers need an average of 2 years to catch on. Chad is better than Reche, Jabar and Wes; He could very well be the number 3 on the depth chart, or even 2 next to Randy.

Write it down 62 catches 745 and 8 touchdowns.

Agentspeak, that's all that is. A nice article to keep fans like us talking about the Pats during the dead period of the offseason. Works for the agent, works for the Globe. Like so many on this board, I believe Jackson is headed for PUP. Once injuries start to take hold and under-performers show their true colors, Jackson will be a mid-season replacement.

As for the Randy Moss naysayers, let's not write off one of the few players in the history of the game to score 100 touchdowns. He's played in the league for 9 years, and had 7 1000-yard receiving seasons. All the other guys COMBINED did that only once (Troy Brown, 2001).

Now you're talkin.
Welker will be a monster, of that there is no doubt.
What a pickup.

#2 in theory, yes, but he'll be lining up in the slot the majority of the time.

http://www.boston.com/sports/footba...acksons_rehabilitation_moving_without_a_snag/

Chad Jackson will be a factor this season. He has all of the tools to be as good as any in the NFL. For those of you think he was a waste of a draft pick need to realize that most NFL receivers need an average of 2 years to catch on. Chad is better than Reche, Jabar and Wes; He could very well be the number 3 on the depth chart, or even 2 next to Randy.

Write it down 62 catches 745 and 8 touchdowns.

I think it was foolish of you to tell fools that CJ has tools. We all know that otherwise he would be figure skating and not playing football.

I agree. It's as silly to just declare CJ's unavoidable ascension as it is when the haters call him a no-doubt "bust." I like the guy, but he will VERY likely do little this year. If he can stick around, learn, stay healthy (once he IS healthy) it will be reflected in 2008.

Oh I agree, Patsox.... he obviously didn't score any points by being a receiver (from florida, no less,) who got hurt immediately and barely saw the field. But calling him a bust? When he's a bust, BB will call him a bust.... maybe we'll be right in saying it a little before then, depending.

But now? After one, ahem, "hamstrung" year? No way. Next year is the proving year. This year he gets to work in, with vet. help all around.

About Moss and the 100 TD club - I'll hope and not say that we get to see "the Randy Moss of old," with a fire under his butt and a chip on his shoulder to prove the league wrong. Corey Dillon c. 2004, in wide receiver form. Yeah I could go for that. I could go for our passing game going to that level, just as we went from the Antowain Smith level to the Corey Dillon level in the running game. Rather, I dare hope it... it would be so sweet to watch that script unfold.

That's the beautiful thing about the future... it's unwritten.

PFnV

Well I still think he needs to develop a little more. He has a lot of natural talent, I just hope he doesn't end up like Bethel.

Oh I agree, Patsox.... he obviously didn't score any points by being a receiver (from florida, no less,) who got hurt immediately and barely saw the field. But calling him a bust? When he's a bust, BB will call him a bust.... maybe we'll be right in saying it a little before then, depending.

But now? After one, ahem, "hamstrung" year? No way. Next year is the proving year. This year he gets to work in, with vet. help all around.

About Moss and the 100 TD club - I'll hope and not say that we get to see "the Randy Moss of old," with a fire under his butt and a chip on his shoulder to prove the league wrong. Corey Dillon c. 2004, in wide receiver form. Yeah I could go for that. I could go for our passing game going to that level, just as we went from the Antowain Smith level to the Corey Dillon level in the running game. Rather, I dare hope it... it would be so sweet to watch that script unfold.

That's the beautiful thing about the future... it's unwritten.

PFnV

The beautiful thing is you don't need the Moss from Minnesota. The the first season in Oakland would be fine. I believe if he plays 16 games you will see 50-65 grabs for 700-1000 yards & 10-14 TD's.

The grabs & yards could vary be the double digit TD's will be a lock IMO. After Game 5 in his first season in Oakland the Raiders pretty much took him off the field in the redzone because of injuries.

Last year, Tom Walsh said that fade's are low % play & he doesn't like them. After the Cleveland game 3 in which Moss caught fade for a TD. The Raiders never threw another fade the rest of the year. He was taken of the the field in the redzone the rest of the year. That won't be the case in New England. I think he's going to be HUGE in the redzone for the Patriots like he was in Minny & not in Oakland.

Reiss has repeatedly stated that the coaches aren't sure that Jackson is committed to being the best football player he can be, until we hear that he spending enough time learning the play book and in the film room it won't matter whether he is healthy or not. He got a mulligan for last year coming out of school early and being injured, but he needs to mature this year and prove to the coaches that he really wants to be there. I'm hoping that he has learned from his mistakes last year and will improve enough to play a role this year and be a real contributor in 2008.

I think it is unrealistic to think that Jackson will be ready for TC; ready for the season. I believe one of the reasons the Pats got so many wideouts was that they knew CJ would not be playing this year.
Best case scenario is PUP and see what has developed 6-7 weeks into the year. He could be added to the 53 or IRed...so that is not a bad situation for him. I do not think he's a bust but I do believe it is going to take time for him..and THAT is OK. 08 is more his year than this one...time to learn rehab.
I think it's silly to believe he will come into this season and have BIG numbers, given where he is and what the WR corps looks like.

So I guess everyone is saying Kelley Washington is crap on this team.

Not me I think he will make the team, The more time goes on , the more I think Troy Brown wont be a factor this yr..

Moss
Stallworth
Welker
Washington
Gaffney/Caldwell
Jackson

We could trade Caldwell for a pick maybee during camp, but we shall see.

I don't think anyone is writing CJ off.

It should be an interesting training camp with the competition at WR. I agree that we will trade a WR before the season starts.

My projected WR corps:

1. Moss
2. Stallworth
3. Welker
4. Gaffney
5. Brown
6. Caldwell/Washington

Jackson on PUP

I don't think anyone is writing CJ off.

It should be an interesting training camp with the competition at WR. I agree that we will trade a WR before the season starts.

My projected WR corps:

1. Moss
2. Stallworth
3. Welker
4. Gaffney
5. Brown
6. Caldwell/Washington

Jackson on PUP

Agree with Jackson on PUP, it will be good to have him as a potential reserve for October.
I find it really interesting (and somewhat understandable) that Caldwell gets written off, but I have to look at last year's stats and this year's lineup and come away with the notion that Caldwell can play the role he's more suited to play: a 3rd or 4th WR with flexibility. Imagine how productive he could be in a secondary or tertiary receiver role, instead of going against defenses looking to stop his as a "number 1" like last year.

I understand he wasn't exactly a clutch guy at times, but he did have a big catch vs. SD in the playoffs, made some nice plays during the season, and (maybe most important) seemed to have the best rapport with Brady by mid-season last year.

If I'm beating the bejeebus out of this dead horse, please say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST