PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Year of the trade up

The Patriots should definitely trade down, at least once. If the Patriots do not get a 3 for Brady compensation, you can be SURE they will trade down; no way BB heads into the draft with no number 3.

But in general the Patriots should trade down because they have so many holes to fill. Now that the Patriots are not a fashionable choice for free agents, it is will be even more important to use draft picks to upgrade the team.

This draft is going to be a turning point for the team. If they screw it up again with an early round WR (or DB), it could go really bad. I am really worried about them picking WRs; the Patriots desperately need help there, but BB is simply incapable of making good WR picks. He fails again and again and never seems to learn. He and McDaniels seem to overthink the whole process; I have simpler approach--just pick a guy who can get open! How can a schlub like me do a better job at evaluating WRs than them. It buggers[sic] the imagination.

two interesting facts.

1.) whatever characteristic bb is looking for in wide receivers does not work in today’s nfl. But rather than pivot, bb continues to keep bringing in guys year after year that just do not work! Einstein said doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity.

2.) whatever characteristics bb is looking for in the hoards of second round defensive backs he is drafting does not work in today’s nfl. But rather than pivot, bb continues to keep bringing in guys year after year that just do not work. Again, see Einstein’s quote above!

hopefully this is the year that bb realizes the folly of his past approach and makes the necessary adjustments!

ps: for all bb’s utter ridiculous failures in second round defensive backs, he can strike a lot of gold on UDFA defensive backs, so he does know what works! Imagine if he applies that UDFA knowledge to the actual draft!!!!!

Nice post Ochmed; it is so true.

BB has to be the world champion UDFA defensive back picker. The best ever. I suspect that he over-thinks those second round choices....

Great observations. It almost seems like when he's using a pick he over thinks it.

When it's a UDFA they'll take a risk.

Never looked at it like that before.

Do you think potentially with Dugger he broke the mold?

two interesting facts.

1.) whatever characteristic bb is looking for in wide receivers does not work in today’s nfl. But rather than pivot, bb continues to keep bringing in guys year after year that just do not work! Einstein said doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is insanity.

2.) whatever characteristics bb is looking for in the hoards of second round defensive backs he is drafting does not work in today’s nfl. But rather than pivot, bb continues to keep bringing in guys year after year that just do not work. Again, see Einstein’s quote above!

hopefully this is the year that bb realizes the folly of his past approach and makes the necessary adjustments!

ps: for all bb’s utter ridiculous failures in second round defensive backs, he can strike a lot of gold on UDFA defensive backs, so he does know what works! Imagine if he applies that UDFA knowledge to the actual draft!!!!!
Here's the thing. He's on record saying he drafts for "value," not "need."

So a better question might be, "Why does his board keep telling him to draft defensive backs in round 2?" [7 out of 11 second-rounders in the last ten years.] Remember that he actually traded up to get Dawson and Williams.

So a better question might be, "Why does his board keep telling him to draft defensive backs in round 2?" [7 out of 11 second-rounders in the last ten years.] Remember that he actually traded up to get Dawson and Williams.

Tavon "f--ing" Wilson

Was watching the draft with a friend who smashed his smartphone into pieces when this pick was announced...

IMO you can value yourself around every position except QB. Should be fun to watch.

They need speed almost everywhere. That should be BB’s focus. He started to focus a little more on size after the Ravens beat them up in the 2010 playoff game, but now the lack of speed is telling.

Dugger breaks the mold. He should be a good NFL player.

Tavon "f--ing" Wilson

Was watching the draft with a friend who smashed his smartphone into pieces when this pick was announced...

IMO you can value yourself around every position except QB. Should be fun to watch.

Im with your friend on that one. When we took Jordan Richards I pretty much questioned why I even liked this team lol.

Great observations. It almost seems like when he's using a pick he over thinks it.

When it's a UDFA they'll take a risk.

Never looked at it like that before.

Do you think potentially with Dugger he broke the mold?

yes, I think Duggar was the pick that broke the mold. Duggar is bb’s attempt to start drafting more athletic freaks and invest the time teach proper techniques and defensive strategies.

I believe bb drafts for value. I think his actions have proven that.

but what I see is that determination of the skills sets used in calculating that value has been flawed. And worse still, bb stubbornly refuses to acknowledge this and alter his approach.

in order for us to improve as a team, bb has to alter his approach.

Add Wentz into the mix, I would trade #15 for Wentz.
Hmm, Wentz has been great, and he’s been really bad. There seems to be 2 versions. I’m afraid to send #15 for the really bad version.

I believe bb drafts for value. I think his actions have proven that.

but what I see is that determination of the skills sets used in calculating that value has been flawed. And worse still, bb stubbornly refuses to acknowledge this and alter his approach.

in order for us to improve as a team, bb has to alter his approach.
It’s so true. I was wishing he would bring back Scott Pioli. We had some amazing drafts back in the Pioli days. We need other voices in the room during the draft process besides Belichick. I’d be happy if Thomas Dimitroff came back too. Belichick’s drafting has been bad the last 6 or 7 years. Unfortunately, I don’t see any movement in bringing in new voices for the draft. I wasn’t against them bringing back Matt Patricia, but it was also a strange move. Not sure what he brings to the team.

It’s so true. I was wishing he would bring back Scott Pioli. We had some amazing drafts back in the Pioli days. We need other voices in the room during the draft process besides Belichick. I’d be happy if Thomas Dimitroff came back too. Belichick’s drafting has been bad the last 6 or 7 years. Unfortunately, I don’t see any movement in bringing in new voices for the draft. I wasn’t against them bringing back Matt Patricia, but it was also a strange move. Not sure what he brings to the team.
bend don't break defense, so prepare for the SB LII defense next year :rofl:

bb’s draft room probably has the least amount of people in the room of all the teams. He runs the show with an iron fist. His word is final.

someone on his staff is very good at signing UDFA’s and evaluating other team’s pro personnel!

so is bb going lone wolf when it comes to these past 6 drafts or is there a turd in the room whispering in his ear!

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back