PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yankees claim Red Sox used Apple Watch to cheat, stealing signs

Unfortunately, the Pat's will forever be tagged with the guilt of taping practices.

Thanks Tomasse.

You can't spell 'ass' without Tomase.

Regarding disgusting treatment of an innocent child, it looks like Nate Silver pulled a Barstoolsports..........

Seriously, it's been up 4 hours now. This guy is completely wired and has to know the situation by 2 hours ago. It's not like this is someone who unplugs.

A sad and truly unforgivable behavior.

• Winner
Reactions: sb1
I don't follow baseball, so you'll have to help me out a bit. This is an unfair advantage , um, because NY can't use apple watches? Isn't this the place that put a guy with a telescope in the center field wall for the shot heard round the world?

I was wondering why my "who gives a fack" meter was going off earlier.

i hope the redsox get dragged thru the mud.

I'm a Red Sox fan and I could give a crap what happens with this - because it is embarrassing so screw them.

I am very confident they did it but also confident it is a fairly minor thing. Obviously a penalty needs to happen but it doesn't need to be crazy. Maybe suspend the manager for 10 games and a 500K fine and move on.

I don't think it effected much if anything but you need to discourage the behavior. Frankly I don't care. Baseball like all sports has a long history of rule bending.

The only time I really really care about cheating is something clearly outside the norm like the Steelers coach interfering with a return that would have been a TD or Crowd noise being pumped into the speakers. Those kind of things are above and beyond as you actively prevent players from doing their job. That is a clear distinction that should be made when talking about cheating.

Nate Silver is getting destroyed over his Tweet which used a Marathon victim as a part of his "joke".

I'll post a screenshot before he deletes his Tweet.

View attachment 17906

People have been asking him for over 3 hours to take it down.
View attachment 17907

Nate Silver is getting destroyed over his Tweet which used a Marathon victim as a part of his "joke".

I'll post a screenshot before he deletes his Tweet.

View attachment 17906

People have been asking him for over 3 hours to take it down.
View attachment 17907

Very low brow.

There's no rule against stealing signs in baseball, although you might get drilled when you do it. After all, every single sign is visible from the center field angle. It's neither cheating nor embarrassing for teams to figure out and use their opponents' signs. Meanwhile, to defend against sign stealing, just use a more complex code.
Apparently it's illegal to use electronics in this endeavor, so you can't decipher the signs, text the next pitch to the trainer via the watch, and have the trainer tell the batter during the at bat, as the Sox did; but stealing signs is a time-honored part of the game.

The Yanks (although Girardi denied it) have a YES camera fixed on the opposing dugout so they can steal signals. Boston filed a complaint again them.

Cleveland had a guy in the bleachers relay signs to the team.

Toronto was accused of stealing signals by KC.

It happens, it's baseball. Stop complaining and develop multiple sets of signals.

I don't follow baseball, so you'll have to help me out a bit. This is an unfair advantage , um, because NY can't use apple watches? Isn't this the place that put a guy with a telescope in the center field wall for the shot heard round the world?
You can't have electronics in the dugout like that. And you certainly cant do it to steal signs.

Disappointed in Silver. That tweet is terrible. He is better than that. Or at least I thought he was.

Edit: it is deleted. He still deserves the roasting he’s getting.

Last edited:
The New York Rats

I am very confident they did it but also confident it is a fairly minor thing. Obviously a penalty needs to happen but it doesn't need to be crazy. Maybe suspend the manager for 10 games and a 500K fine and move on.

I don't think it effected much if anything but you need to discourage the behavior. Frankly I don't care. Baseball like all sports has a long history of rule bending.

The only time I really really care about cheating is something clearly outside the norm like the Steelers coach interfering with a return that would have been a TD or Crowd noise being pumped into the speakers. Those kind of things are above and beyond as you actively prevent players from doing their job. That is a clear distinction that should be made when talking about cheating.

I think you’re probably right about the penalty. Still pretty weak and desperate of the Yankees to snitch over this kind of thing. Everyone knows this stuff happens in baseball all the time and it can be kept “in house”.

Agreed re cheating. I admit that if deflategate was about the Patriots screwing around with other teams footballs I’d have a big time problem with that. That wasn’t the case so whatever.

I read this on Bleacher Report earlier and I don't understand it. They're saying it's a "high tech cheating scandal" using "Apple Watches."

I own an Apple Watch and wear it every day, but there's nothing "high tech" about it. It's literally just a screen that shows me my texts and other notifications from my iPhone, as well as tracks my activity levels, heart rate, etc. I don't see how the scandal "involving Apple Watches" really makes sense. That basically just means they were texting (at worst) but how do you prove that? The guy would have to also have his phone on him for it to work, otherwise the watch isn't gonna do anything but show him the time. So it's essentially "Red Sox trainer caught on video looking at his watch which may have had texts on it but then he could've just looked at his phone for that so what's the point, maybe he was just looking at his freakin' heart rate - Yankees cry foul!"
Since when does logic come in on sports related "scandal"??

@meatface - care to say what you disagree with in my post?

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/09/05/red-sox-accused-stealing-signals-via-video says:

The Times reported that team personnel used the replay system to decipher signs. That information was then transmitted to the dugout via the Apple Watch worn by assistant athletic trainer Jon Jochim.

Jochim relayed the information to players sitting close by who then alerted a runner on base. That player then signaled the batter what pitch was coming.

The text message took the place of clubhouse attendants relaying the information on foot.

The Yankees sent MLB video that allegedly shows Jochim passing information to Brock Holt and Dustin Pedroia, who in turn signaled to Chris Young at second base. Young was one of the Red Sox players interviewed by MLB, according to the Times.

Hey, we're just getting rid of the middle man! :D

This thread belongs in the Bankofamericasox stick-and-ball forum. We're two days from the Pats' season opener.

If the baseball works the same as the NFL, you need to be a good team to be involved in a cheating scandal, otherwise it's just boys being boys. So by that standard the Red Soxs would be safe!
Although I am sure the local media will try and make a huge deal out of it or they will use it to attack the Pats.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back