PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Yahoo Sports Redesign A Disaster

Brady'sButtBoy

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Mods- please don't move this thread, stick it in any other forum and it's DOA, just look at the last post dates. Thanks. Anyway-

Man, how could Yahoo so badly mess up what was a clean, organized, straightforward place to quickly get scores, schedules, etc.?? You could pop in and easily get up to the second stats and plays. Rosters were easy to access and read, depths charts, etc. That they had good writers and columns was just a solid bonus. First Yahoo ruined their front page earlier this year - it still stinks - now they've taken one of their highest traffic sites and just destroyed it.

One thing for certain - whoever 'designed' the redesign had no idea why people were using Yahoo sports. It wasn't flashy and that's why such a huge number of people used it. Patsfans should complain en masse because one of the last best places you could go to get uncomplicated Pats/NFL info has been taken over by the graphics dept. A glaring example of change for the sake of change - what a shame...

Mods- please don't move this thread, stick it in any other forum and it's DOA, just look at the last post dates. Thanks. Anyway-

Man, how could Yahoo so badly mess up what was a clean, organized, straightforward place to quickly get scores, schedules, etc.?? You could pop in and easily get up to the second stats and plays. Rosters were easy to access and read, depths charts, etc. That they had good writers and columns was just a solid bonus. First Yahoo ruined their front page earlier this year - it still stinks - now they've taken one of their highest traffic sites and just destroyed it.

One thing for certain - whoever 'designed' the redesign had no idea why people were using Yahoo sports. It wasn't flashy and that's why such a huge number of people used it. Patsfans should complain en masse because one of the last best places you could go to get uncomplicated Pats/NFL info has been taken over by the graphics dept. A glaring example of change for the sake of change - what a shame...

:confused::mad:

There's a group of three teams, Patriot and Jetfans, many of whom have participated together for 11 years. Absent a "classic" option, we are most likely moving to another website (CBS or RTS, RTS still has UPUFF on it).

The worst part is Yahoo made these changes 10 days before the three drafts. :mad: If you plan to join a League go to CBS.

yup, it's a huge mess. and it seems liek they are sticking with this new design. here's a note from the fantasy football page.

We are listening to your feedback regarding our recent redesign. While we will not be going back to the old format, we will be focusing on improving the readability of the pages, along with other improvements. We appreciate how passionate you are about Fantasy Football and welcome your comments

and from this link, you can see the redesign is universally hated
https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/207810-us-sports-gs/filters/top

Yeah...I was surprised. Found that today when I was looking for something and stumbled on the change. I understand doing subtle things to try and improve things or to improve navigation and engagement, but I don't get the new set up at all compared to the simplicity of before.

It's a lot more legible without the background image. Not great, but that background image makes it hurt to read the page. What a mess.

And the quote written by a PR drone is essentially a giant fu to users. I never use any yahoo services and I'm glad I don't. Apparently they also badly ruined flickr's usability recently (which they had previously ruined before by merging flickr accounts to yahoo accounts right after they bought it). It's amazing yahoo still does the amount of traffic that it manages today, they don't even do their own search any more - it's provided by Bing (of all things).

Totally agree man, yahoo was always the first place I'd go for scores and fantasy leagues, for the same reasons. Just seemed so much quicker and easier to access than the other sites. The new format is awful indeed, and I tried to file a complaint but I just get sent in a big circle of links by yahoo. Anyone have a link where I can actually make one click and it gets sent in?

Fox Sports has changed their site, too. It's as if they've all decided to have a "worst changes" contest.

Fox Sports has changed their site, too. It's as if they've all decided to have a "worst changes" contest.

Yikes, that's awful. I can't get over how many outlets are just getting lazy and installing Wordpress and doing basic template modifications. I get using it for certain sections, but not for an entire site - at least not if you're a big outlet like they are. There are other ways to integrate it and tie everything together, but apparently the days of trying to be innovative and interesting seems to be more or less over with a lot of them :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yikes, that's awful. I can't get over how many outlets are just getting lazy and installing Wordpress and doing basic template modifications. I get using it for certain sections, but not for an entire site - at least not if you're a big outlet like they are. There are other ways to integrate it and tie everything together, but apparently the days of trying to be innovative and interesting seems to be more or less over with a lot of them :rolleyes:

It's a shame, too. I remember trying to start up a blog years back, and deciding I wouldn't do it because I wasn't a talented enough website designer to create the sort of look that I felt would be best for readers. I don't think I was alone with that sort of idea back then.

Today, far too sites just try to fill pages with info, and they don't seem to give a damn about function or appearance.

Just my $.02

Wow is that bad.

I just did a quick search for an easy-to-scan basic info sports site. It's not pretty out there. For just scores, there's this modest offering USAToday:
Scores for Wednesday, August 28, 2013 - USATODAY.com

I'd love to see a full sports info hub on the model of the nice clean "scores & schedule" info boxes Google returns with search results for team names:
https://www.google.com/search?q=spo...d=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fp=13d6aa3a7d487f41&q=bills

Just logged in to check my Yahoo fantasy football team.

Confirmed redesign looks like complete ass.

Yahoo does a lot of strange things anymore, but I agree with you guys 100% the sports deal almost hurts your eyes bad enough to go blind.

Yahoo are a bunch of yahoos, they messed up the simple, easy to use email and now this, tried to file a complaint and got sucked into a *********** vacuum, they can go **** themselves, its not like its only a handful of people complaining. I hope this bites them in the ass some day, people will find an alternative if a company wont give them what they want.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back