PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wynn watch

I have seen the "conversion to TE" proposal on a couple of occasions, but have never seen it happen on the field, so I have ignored those comments in most part. Seeing Harry blocking regularly and integrated with the OLine (blocking DEs and LBs), the TE conversion thought has me intrigued. It would be classic BB to teach Harry to block first, and then start to leak him out into routes second. TE routes are a bit easier to learn ;) , and I am sure Harry could separate from LBs and most safeties. And Harry has good hands to catch in traffic (another important TE quality). Can Harry run the seam? He might be a better fit as a Hybrid TE than WR.

BB spoke to Harry and Harry is not disgruntled as a "blocker only" so maybe Harry thinks a conversion to a Hybrid TE role is a good fit so he is embracing it. We will see as time unfolds, and that would add a great weapon that I am sure Mac would embrace. I am intrigued.

And if I am pathetically funny to you that is OK for me.

Nicely said. But the rub is even if NKeal becomes a cheap TE2 (still a total waste as a 1st rounder), then the Pats have Jonnu at an immovable $14m cap number in 2022 and can't do anything until they pay him $37M through 2023. So then you have politically minded people internally with the conundrum of not looking bad on a 1st round pick or a really bad free agent contract.

Serious question here. How can you tell if Harry is currently playing a tight end or a wide receiver? Is it just in what we are calling him? When he was drafted I noted he was almost as big as many of the top tight ends coming out in the draft. He seems to be blocking better than many tight ends. Just curious.

Isaiah Wynn is a natural Left Guard who is also an inconsistent if not unreliable Left Tackle, due in part to his height & arm length limitations.

Trent Brown should be given a fair bit of Wynn's snaps at LT vs the Fail-cons to see if he can resume his role as a championship-level LT for the NEP.

Wynn should then split snaps with Karras at LG so he can more easily re-acclimate himself to the nuances of the position in time for the showdown with the Titties, should the Trent Brown experiment at LT prove successful.

But if the performance of Brown at LT doesn't match the desired outcome, then they can still return to the Wynn/Karras left side and hope for no injuries.

The Pats OL with Wynn at LT and Brown at RT dominated a very good Browns defensive front to the tune of 184 rushing yards at 5.4 ypc and also did a good job in pass protection and you feel that this necessitates multiple changes on an urgent basis?

Sure, let’s just mess with success and move Wynn to a position that he has never played in the NFL and also move Brown back to LT, where he hasn’t played in more than two years, a move which requires this lower body muscles to adapt to different angles and movements, possible increasing the risk of re-injuring his calf. Congrats on yet another freezing cold take, Captain!

Your posts are even more pathetic when the Pats are on a roll. The greatest mark of shame in this forum currently is a post that is backed only by DKF. Bravo.

Nicely said. But the rub is even if NKeal becomes a cheap TE2 (still a total waste as a 1st rounder), then the Pats have Jonnu at an immovable $14m cap number in 2022 and can't do anything until they pay him $37M through 2023. So then you have politically minded people internally with the conundrum of not looking bad on a 1st round pick or a really bad free agent contract.

Different positions. Possibly you never saw Hernandez play. Free Safety and Strong Safety are both Safeties, but Chung was a great Strong Safety and a lousy Free Safety.

Last edited:
I think it safe to say, very few of us posters are with ex Miss Worlds.

Isaiah Wynn is a natural Left Guard who is also an inconsistent if not unreliable Left Tackle, due in part to his height & arm length limitations.

Trent Brown should be given a fair bit of Wynn's snaps at LT vs the Fail-cons to see if he can resume his role as a championship-level LT for the NEP.

Wynn should then split snaps with Karras at LG so he can more easily re-acclimate himself to the nuances of the position in time for the showdown with the Titties, should the Trent Brown experiment at LT prove successful.

But if the performance of Brown at LT doesn't match the desired outcome, then they can still return to the Wynn/Karras left side and hope for no injuries.
Since you aren't the OL coach, Wynn is likely to continue to play LT and Brown RT.

It just isn't reasonable to go back to the useless ones as OT backups, which is what happens if Wynn is moved to LG.

Yep. Fix whats working has always been your motto :)

Different positions. Possibly you never saw Hernandez play. Free Safety and Strong Safety are both Safeties, but Ching was a great Strong Safety and a lousy Free Safety.

I'm very familiar with the 2TE offense. Pushed for it a dozen yrs ago. This oc has no idea how to use a 2nd playmaking TE. With this oc a GM should get a Dwayne Allen type, not a 2nd TE who does nothing except block poorly as that's not Jonnu's strength

Since you aren't the OL coach, Wynn is likely to continue to play LT and Brown RT.

It just isn't reasonable to go back to the useless ones as OT backups, which is what happens if Wynn is moved to LG.
I think there have been some underestimated early transition difficulties with the OL, such as: 1) despite Mac’s preternaturally quick grasp of the complex Patriot offense so quickly, he is still a rookie and has probably made mistakes that Brady (the best there ever was at this) wouldn’t have; 2) Wynn must have depended on Thuney than we realized and he must have struggled in the transition to a new left guard. Nevertheless, the early struggles of the OL were strange and difficult to understand.

I’m not one to automatically blame the coaches, BB is the best ever, I think Josh has done a masterful job with Mac all year (just look at how Mac is playing compared to the other rookie QBs!), and I’m beginning to wonder if Stevie might actually know what he is doing. However, I will be surprised if we don’t have another OL coach next year.

So are you proposing that the one who should continue to have his snaps reduced be Onwenu, arguably our best OLman?

I would rather the one to have his snaps reduced be Wynn...or make Brown the Swing Tackle and hope that Karras doesn't get injured, because then we would have to go back to the useless Thanksdad Ferentz as the C/G backup...

I'm very familiar with the 2TE offense. Pushed for it a dozen yrs ago. This oc has no idea how to use a 2nd playmaking TE. With this oc a GM should get a Dwayne Allen type, not a 2nd TE who does nothing except block poorly as that's not Jonnu's strength
Another reason you must call the Pat's. Besides being the expert on team building and cap management, you are also a genius OC. Your talents are clearly wasted at whatever you do for a living. How have you never had a job with the NFL?

Another reason you must call the Pat's. Besides being the expert on team building and cap management, you are also a genius OC. Your talents are clearly wasted at whatever you do for a living. How have you never had a job with the NFL?

On the flip side, if a bunch of armchair fans here can plainly see Durant sucked and Karras should have started for 6 weeks in a row, why do you have such blind faith in a staff that clearly sees things SLOW ? Same thing with starting NKeal last year and benching Meyers for 6 weeks for no reason, or continuing to start Michel and benching Harris for no reason until Michel got hurt. This is a staff that doesn't know how to evaluate players aside from BB

So are you proposing that the one who should continue to have his snaps reduced be Onwenu, arguably our best OLman?

I would rather the one to have his snaps reduced be Wynn...or make Brown the Swing Tackle and hope that Karras doesn't get injured, because then we would have to go back to the useless Thanksdad Ferentz as the C/G backup...
The more viable option I believe would be to move Onwenu back to guard and leave Brown at RT where last week he was dominant. I think we all can agree when everyone is healthy, we have 6 starting caliber O-lineman who are very good.

We really have to make up our minds here. One minute you're pushing Mount Brown at LT, next its Trent to swing tackle just because everyone could see he is dominating as RT and perfect fit there.

Onwenu was “arguably our best OL“ first when he played LG - the spot he was targeted for and clearly placed to since the start of preseason.

Karras is playing well and does not make mistakes Onwenu does on occasion (hence benched vs TB). But if you're worried about the only legit b-up center getting injured/NE losing important safety net for January (understandably so) why not put him on the bench & go with the top line the way it was designed and its working.

Big reason why Onwenu is such a valuable OL is that he can legit back up/start at at least 3 positions. So I dont see why is such a problem if they keep him to do that (knowing availability issues of both Wynn & Trent) and use him in rotation if needed + for many jumbo packages where no one on the roster is a better option.

Since im more of a safety net fan id place Karras back to back up. Bill wants to use every advantage that he has and Onwenu as jumbo option is a mismatch hard to counter.

If Mihail Talj could sacrifice his top chess pieces to win position (and match), then this little sacrifice of Onwenu to better the big picture should not be so controversial.

I like Lazar/Barth's suggestion that they might more and more go situationally with 6 OL alignments with Owenu as tackle-eligible TE. Mason/Brown/Owenu is a crushing right side, and Owenu could play left side as well. Owenu is right now also a much better player than Jonnu Smith, who could still be on the field as an H-Back in this configuration.

On the flip side, if a bunch of armchair fans here can plainly see Durant sucked and Karras should have started for 6 weeks in a row, why do you have such blind faith in a staff that clearly sees things SLOW ? Same thing with starting NKeal last year and benching Meyers for 6 weeks for no reason, or continuing to start Michel and benching Harris for no reason until Michel got hurt. This is a staff that doesn't know how to evaluate players aside from BB

As noted, you need to save us from BB and his staff. BB would welcome competent help from you seeing that he doesn't have any.

The more viable option I believe would be to move Onwenu back to guard and leave Brown at RT where last week he was dominant. I think we all can agree when everyone is healthy, we have 6 starting caliber O-lineman who are very good.

My concern with this now is look how slow the staff was to let Onwenu play tackle. If he goes to LG again I can see our D3 OLine coach using bad reasoning to not want to move Onwenu again for awhile. Having Onwenu platoon at RT might make sense until Wynn goes down which is his career pattern (then Trent plays LT)

Last edited:

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back