PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Justin Hunter visiting Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hear you but Edeman is in the last year of his deal
Admendola status is in the air
So you have 2 legit receivers Hogan and Mitchel under agreement
You've been drooling over Hunter for like 4 years, if he signs here you may go into cardiac arrest!!

I hear you but Edeman is in the last year of his deal
Admendola status is in the air
So you have 2 legit receivers Hogan and Mitchel under agreement

We have 3 - Edelman is under agreement. Actually, so is Dola.

Floyd wants to come back.

I can't see getting Hunter (please no, anyway) and Cooks to stand there because we'll need receivers next year, maybe.

Hogan is really good in this offense. Brady trusts Mitchell. Jules is Jules.

Cooks would be a great 2-year get at good money. A guy like Hopkins would change the calculus, period. Don't need 2.

Good memory I loved him in the draft
No most excited I ever was as a Pats fan was when the Patriots signed Colvin and drafted my alltime binkie Chad Jackson
Honestly Ive learned to trust the process if BB traded Brady to Cleveland or Houston I would say BB has balls but made the right call.
The board can flame away

Not a crisp route runner at all which would get him into trouble in this system. Zero clue why the team is looking at him. He's not that good and is a horrible fit.
If that is true maybe making New Orleans rethink our offer for Cooks.

Good memory I loved him in the draft
No most excited I ever was as a Pats fan was when the Patriots signed Colvin and drafted my alltime binkie Chad Jackson
Honestly Ive learned to trust the process if BB traded Brady to Cleveland or Houston I would say BB has balls but made the right call.
The board can flame away
I still shake my head on a regular basis when I think about Jackson. I honestly thought he was going to be an all time Patriot receiver and Brady finally had his "Jerry Rice".. Boy was I wrong.

Not a crisp route runner at all which would get him into trouble in this system. Zero clue why the team is looking at him. He's not that good and is a horrible fit.

After really looking at his numbers I agree I guess if you throw enough $h!t @ the wall somethings gotta stick.

Remember Andre Johnson said the sky was the limit for Justin Hunter and he was the most talented receiver he ever seen practice.
What happened?

Apparently, when opposing defenders can actually bump him, play tighter coverage, and hit him; he sucked. Plenty of players look like studs in practice and do nothing on Sundays.

I still shake my head on a regular basis when I think about Jackson. I honestly thought he was going to be an all time Patriot receiver and Brady finally had his "Jerry Rice".. Boy was I wrong.
He diddnt use enough stickum

He caught 10 passes and 4 went for TDs
Maybe BB is thinking what could this guy do with 40 catches?
And hes 25 He may have better football in front of him.
Protypical size and speed maybe Gilmore talked him up?

Well I guess signing him would better than drafting him (he seems like the typical NE bust WR pick). Don't think he plays special teams so he'd just be competing for the last WR spot.

Well, I graded'm as Highly OverRated when he came out, in 2013...

Gave'm a 4th Round Grade. :p

And he made me look pretty damned smart. :eek:

But damned if his Talent wasn't worth the #1 Overall Pick.

"Justin Hunter commands a Fusion of Size & Speed unequaled in this remarkably deep & talented Wide Out Class." is how I put it.

Hell, yeah, I'd take a swing at'm.

Well, I graded'm as Highly OverRated when he came out, in 2013...

"Justin Hunter commands a Fusion of Size & Speed unequaled in this remarkably deep & talented Wide Out Class." is how I put it.

Hell, yeah, I'd take a swing at'm.

Grid, was 2013 really considered one of the best WR classes? Funny. How is it that 2014 was so under the radar and turned out as the better (quintessential?) draft year for WRs? Seems really strange and possibly an interesting case study. Maybe you've revisited some of your analysis on both draft classes?

Don't panic! Hunter hasn't even been signed yet. Even if he does get signed, it's primarily to fill out the 90-man off-season roster (Camp body).

That said, BB probably wouldn't sign a guy who he thought has zero chance to be reasonably competitive (Tebow nothwithstanding).

So, Hunter ...

6040/201, 4.44/40, 1.54/10yd, 39.5/VJ, 136/BJ, 4.34 shuttle, 7.19 3-cone

During the 2013 draft, he rep was pretty much just another tall, athletic prospect with rudimentary route-running skills (and not particularly bright).

For Hunter's first two years in Tennessee (2013-14), he was used almost exclusively as a deep threat, averaging 4 tgts/gm, 18.5 YPC, with a 42% catch rate (below the league average of 52% for regularly used deep threats).

In comparison, in 2016 Hogan averaged 4 tgts/gm, 17.9 YPC on a 65.5% catch rate, well above average (slightly better than even Julio Jones). A couple of notes here:
1) Hogan is shorter and stockier than Hunter (roughly the same hgt/wgt as Floyd ... 6011/221).
2) Hogan's test numbers: 4.50/40, 1.57/10yd, 36.5/VJ, 126/BJ, 4.15 shuttle, 6.75 3-cone
3) Hogan's YPC and his catch rate BOTH improved with Brady, especially his YPC (up from 11.0).

Last year in Buffalo, Hunter was again used primarily as a deep threat with 2 tgts/gm, 18.9 YPC and a 43% catch rate.

But something interesting happened during Hunter's final year with the Titans (2015). He saw 3.5 tgts/gm, but with a YPC of only 12.0. And his catch rate jumped to 71%. Different/shorter routes = more effective?

I think I'd rather re-sign Michael Floyd and/or sign Andre Holmes, who was here for OTAs in 2013, plays STs, and would be fairly inexpensive (Then again, so should Floyd & Hunter).

Justin Hunter visiting Patriots

Hunter is big & fast, but has been an under achiever since joining the NFL in 2016.

I looked at his combine numbers & there was one number that jumped off the page. He scored a 12 on the wonderlic test.

Justin Hunter NFL Combine Results

You need brains to learn our offense as a receiver, just ask Chad
OchoCinco.

It really appears as though BB is looking for more speed at WR to stretch the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down