PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WR Free agents!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like at least one, preferably two (with the second being Boldin). The guy is a winner. A solid possession receiver who will win those battles at the first down marker. but here's the thing: you sign Sanu to 7m and Jules will be pissed.

And the Pats should extend at least 2 of the big 4 ASAP, to big money. The cap will keep going up - the NFL just got caught hiding more than a hundred million, right? Look at Gronk's record-breaking contract. Not so bad now, right?

And finally, I don't care about "it's not an area of need," if they can get Weddle, get him. Experience is huge in the secondary. The guy is versatile and smart.

Boldin isn't a game-breaker, but man, he's a tough SOB with great hands and really good size. Still very productive. He and Brady would love each other I think.

Kearse would be fine too, but I bet he'd cost a lot more.

If they have to bring back LaFell...well, they DID win a Super Bowl with him, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Boldin isn't a game-breaker, but man, he's a tough SOB with great hands and really good size. Still very productive. He and Brady would love each other I think.

Kearse would be fine too, but I bet he'd cost a lot more.

If they have to bring back LaFell...well, they DID win a Super Bowl with him, so it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Use him as a Move TE.

It is worth noting that our offense was borderline unstoppable early in the season with healthy Edelman, Gronk, Lewis before LaFell even played. We need those three healthy desperately and we need some young WR coming up as Edelman is 30 with no youth in sight.

So we need to find the next Edelman
Would the Rams trade Tavon Austin?

Not a good FA market for receivers and not a strong class coming in the draft too, so no reason to get desperate. Unfortunately, last draft and the previous one were the drafts that we should have grabbed some talent.

Gronk, Edelman and Amendola are all injury prone players, it's not because they had a healthy 2014 that this is the norm, I really don't get what was the plan. Dobson is a bust and it's been clear from quite a long time.

I'd be ok with Kearse if Tom Brady suddenly grew Russell Wilsons legs. That receiver made a living off of Wilson extending plays. I honestly don't think he is a fit.

Eh? Kearse saw his highest production output when teams forced Wilson to stay in the pocket and go through his reads in 2015. Maybe you can make a case that he's had a good amount of broken plays, which would be correct, but he's able to get separation. Look what he did in the divisional round against the Panthers as an example of that.

when it comes to FA WR's, the Pats haven't exactly been burned......LaFell, Amendola, and Lloyd did not 'burn' the Pats

they all did OK .... they didn't kill the Pats

Eh? Kearse saw his highest production output when teams forced Wilson to stay in the pocket and go through his reads in 2015. Maybe you can make a case that he's had a good amount of broken plays, which would be correct, but he's able to get separation. Look what he did in the divisional round against the Panthers as an example of that.
I can see he's capable of shedding a tackle. That's basically all I need to see considering maybe 1 other receiver on our team can do that too.

I can see he's capable of shedding a tackle. That's basically all I need to see considering maybe 1 other receiver on our team can do that too.

I think he's right up the Pats alley. While he isn't exactly what the Pats NEED out of a WR, he's solid, runs good routes, has good hands, can beat the press, and (most of all) he's a gamer. He makes big plays time and time again just when his team needs them the most. The guy has Patriot written all over him. I hope they can reel him in.

Is it just me or have Pats be getting burned in Free agency past few seasons.. Seem as if they have be losing out on players left and right.. I know a lot of teams are over paying, but some seem to come down to a manageable deal. And especially when it comes to a position of need sometimes you have to spend!! IDK just was a thought!! We been needing WR help for a while now!! Come on!!

Welcome to the board.

How about a name of someone the Patriots should have signed? Free agents were let go by their former teams for a reason. Either they are over paid, injured, or over the hill. Or all three.

I seem to remember Ndamukong Suh being the big splash in free agency last season. Given the performance he turned in in the playoffs, I'd say he was - what?!? The Dolphins finished last and fired two head coaches? Never mind. The Dolphins hollowed out their roster to pay a free agent and are re-building again.

The Patriots, as you say, got burned in free agency, went to AFC championship game for 10th time in 15 years, and would have been in their 7th Super Bowl in the Belichick era had the offensive line not collapsed from injuries to every one of them on the roster.

Please focus on the problems they need to solve. Tom Brady finished 3rd in passing yards only 100 yards, or 6.25 yards per game, behind Drew Brees. The issue was not the passing game in 2015. The issue was the offensive line and injuries to key skill players like Edelman, Blount, Lewis, LaFell, Develin, and every single member of the offensive line.

We all agree they need a receiver or two, and they'll have plenty of guys in camp to compete. All will fit the budget, and maybe somebody can be a decent #3 or #4 option behind Edelman, Gronkowski and Amendola. There's no need to overspend for a #4 guy at this point.

It's time to get their own free agents done and keep an eye on the market, which they are doing. They have the money from the #1 and #4 draft picks to work with plus the money they are freeing up by re-doing deals. Shortly, I expect we read about Amendola being re-structured or let go to free up some more money.

Oh, and the Pats spent to the cap last season.

I think he's right up the Pats alley. While he isn't exactly what the Pats NEED out of a WR, he's solid, runs good routes, has good hands, can beat the press, and (most of all) he's a gamer. He makes big plays time and time again just when his team needs them the most. The guy has Patriot written all over him. I hope they can reel him in.
I like him too, but I haven't heard him connected to New England at all. Of course that doesn't mean it won't happen.

Kearse plays just like Edelman and Amendola he can go inside out and not afraid to take big hit over the middle nuff said!

I'd take Boldin (at the right price, of course). Brady's "long ball" nowadays seems to be mostly comprised of a gigantic arch-like heave down the field, frequently underthrown (but also often overthrown!), that invariably results in a jump-ball, contested ball situation. Boldin seems freakishly engineered for those types of situations. For some reason, LaFell seemed incapable of bringing those down.

The days of Brady hitting a streaking Moss deep down the middle of the field (or sidelines) on a rope, in stride, seem over, and so investment on true separation, deep threat guy would be misplaced given our scheme and Brady's core strengths (which are deadly accurate, quick-strike short passes or seam passes).

The second-to-last time the Pats went to the Superbowl, they made 2 big splash free agents: Albert Haynesworth and Chad Johnson. Obviously they both stunk. I'd rather they get guys that will contribute than those that make the headlines.

IIRC, they were well known names but not big time deals. Everybody was poking at a stick at Haynesworth not knowing if he was still a viable football player. Johnson was just as famous for being a clown as he was a football player. IMO.

I was hopeful of Rishard Matthews as a New WR. Haven't seen contract numbers, I thought he would have been a good fit. When you see guys Choose teams like Titans, Lions, Chargers (Stevie Johnson last year) over Patriots, makes you shake your head, and how do we know Patriots deal may have been that much less. We don't know what they offered. Patriots passing game is not just tied into Brady getting rid of ball quick, We need WR's that can beat man coverage and catch consistently. Pats passing game struggled down the stretch. With the Pats injury history at WR, they need help. Having no depth at position cost us later in year, and most importantly the AFCCG. My main issue is why let LaFell go, and as of now who can come in and replace his production.. Almost all so-called upgrades WR options are gone from a thin Free agent group .With Edleman making 4 mil this year as our #1 WR, good luck bringing someone aboard above bargin basement level.

Last edited:
BB have a plan for WR in the Draft...Oh never mind.:eek::)

BB have a plan for WR in the Draft...Oh never mind.:eek::)

Bill could have the first overall pick and I still wouldn't trust him to draft a WR. Remember the whole Julio Jones thing?

Bill could have the first overall pick and I still wouldn't trust him to draft a WR. Remember the whole Julio Jones thing?

VP I was being sarcastic and I remember the Julio Jones thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe