PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you trade Tom Brady for 1st pick next year to snag USC's Matt Barkley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't have traded Brady for Luck. And I wouldn't trade him for Barkley. College QBs are just prospects. There's as much risk that Barkley could be the next Vince Young as he could be the next Cam Newton. Brady is ready to win now and he's an all-pro poised to win championships over the next 3 years.

In short, no, and for good reason. You don't throw out your championship window with an all-pro elite QB for a lottery ticket.

Tom E Curran, twitter tag @tomecurran , Asked the question today, would you trade brady for 1st pick next year to pick barkley? Matt Barkley is a helluva quarterback and for sure he looks to be a great QB but what would you do knowing that brady is in the twilight of his career? Do you keep him? or do an indianapolis colts move and try to think about the future?

I honestly would think about it before committing to it. because there aren't that many qb's out there in college football who even come close to being like matt barkley. Thoughts?

I wouldn't have traded Brady for Luck. And I wouldn't trade him for Barkley. College QBs are just prospects. There's as much risk that Barkley could be the next Vince Young as he could be the next Cam Newton. Brady is ready to win now and he's an all-pro poised to win championships over the next 3 years.

In short, no, and for good reason. You don't throw out your championship window with an all-pro elite QB for a lottery ticket.

Well, if the prospect is a bust you're up crap creek in 5 years whether you traded for him or not. If he becomes a pro bowl/all pro/hof qb then you extended your team's window of success by 10-15 years.

It's worth looking at unless you think Brady is going to be an MVP candidate for the next 3-5 years. I think it's pretty questionable. A lot of QBs have played well until their late 30s but they have generally been much more up and down later in their careers. We already saw Manning looking like he was tailing off even before he got injured. You have to consider the fact that Brady might not be 'Brady' sooner rather than later.

The first overall pick and what else? Look at what the skins gave up for RG3. I'd give up Brady for an overall 1 next year another first rounder, 2 seconds.

Obviously not. Neither team would do that deal.

The only kind of team that would give up anything for Brady would be a team that was one piece away from being contenders a la Vikings trading for Favre. Typically one piece away does not equate to 2-14 the previous season.

There is no rookie in the history of football for whom I'd trade Brady at this stage of his career.

A third or fourth year player who'd shown likely greatness? I still wouldn't, but at least there's an argument for doing it that makes some sense. The same if it's Brady 4 years from now, for another Andrew Luck. (Similar to the choice the Colts actually made.) But somebody who hasn't proven anything other than in college, for a guy who's still MVP caliber and likely to be for several years? Ridiculous.

I want to trade Brady for sanchez

There is no rookie in the history of football for whom I'd trade Brady at this stage of his career.

A third or fourth year player who'd shown likely greatness? I still wouldn't, but at least there's an argument for doing it that makes some sense. The same if it's Brady 4 years from now, for another Andrew Luck. (Similar to the choice the Colts actually made.) But somebody who hasn't proven anything other than in college, for a guy who's still MVP caliber and likely to be for several years? Ridiculous.

Why would someone trade a young player who has shown 'likely greatness' for a guy who has only a few years left in him? It would have to be someone who still has a fair degree of uncertainty involved.

Calling Brady MVP caliber for several more years may be whistling past the graveyard.

Food for thought...

Top QBs of the last ~25 years:

QB - Age of last MVP - Age of last All-pro - Age of last Pro Bowl - Age of last 20 TD season

Marino - 23 - 25 - 34 - 37
Favre - 28 - 28 - 40 - 40
Montana - 34 - 34 - 34 - 34
Young - 33 - 33 - 37 - 37
Warner - 30 - 30 - 37 - 38
Elway - 27 - NA - 38 - 38
Kelly - NA - 31 - 32 - 35
Moon - NA - NA - 41 - 41
Manning - 33 - 33 - 34 - 34

Montana had the latest MVP and All Pro season at 34. Everyone but Moon and Favre were done by 38. It's not impossible to score an MVP after 34 obviously (Gannon did it at 37), but the best of the past were pretty much past their MVP days where Brady is right now, let alone in 3 years.

Why would someone trade a young player who has shown 'likely greatness' for a guy who has only a few years left in him? It would have to be someone who still has a fair degree of uncertainty involved.

Calling Brady MVP caliber for several more years may be whistling past the graveyard.

Food for thought...

Top QBs of the last ~25 years:

QB - Age of last MVP - Age of last All-pro - Age of last Pro Bowl - Age of last 20 TD season

Marino - 23 - 25 - 34 - 37
Favre - 28 - 28 - 40 - 40
Montana - 34 - 34 - 34 - 34
Young - 33 - 33 - 37 - 37
Warner - 30 - 30 - 37 - 38
Elway - 27 - NA - 38 - 38
Kelly - NA - 31 - 32 - 35
Moon - NA - NA - 41 - 41
Manning - 33 - 33 - 34 - 34

Montana had the latest MVP and All Pro season at 34. Everyone but Moon and Favre were done by 38. It's not impossible to score an MVP after 34 obviously (Gannon did it at 37), but the best of the past were pretty much past their MVP days where Brady is right now, let alone in 3 years.

Biggest thing that has changed is the way the offense has changed. Qb's are protected more now than before.

No, But I will trade Tom in 6 years for the 1st round draft pick.

So, lets delete this stupid thread and revisit it in 6 years. Ok?

Good. Carry on.

No way do you trade Brady. I would like to see them go after Tyler Wilson from Arkansas. He reminds me most of Aaron Rogers and he is tough as nails.

Not saying I'd trade Brady, but we need to do something. Mallett isn't the answer. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use a high draft pick on a QB soon.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...I didn't ask that. A follower asked me. I asked him if he felt Barkley would be better than Brady next year. Didn't have room on twitter to say, "Or in 2014, 15, 16 or 17." I would not trade Brady at any point in his current contract for a rookie, including a No. 1 overall. Eventually, his level of play will decline to a point where someone will be a better option. Or the team will forecast that point. But I don't think it's at all imminent.

Tom E Curran, twitter tag @tomecurran , Asked the question today, would you trade brady for 1st pick next year to pick barkley? Matt Barkley is a helluva quarterback and for sure he looks to be a great QB but what would you do knowing that brady is in the twilight of his career? Do you keep him? or do an indianapolis colts move and try to think about the future?

I honestly would think about it before committing to it. because there aren't that many qb's out there in college football who even come close to being like matt barkley. Thoughts?

Not saying I'd trade Brady, but we need to do something. Mallett isn't the answer. I wouldn't be surprised to see them use a high draft pick on a QB soon.

Why isn't Mallet the answer in your opinion? I think it is way to soon to pass judgement on Mallet. He played the preseason behind a pieced together offensive line throwing to WR and TE that were either cut or added to the practice squad.

Aaron Rodgers was awful as a backup early in his career. If you go to a Green Bay forum and search Aaron Rodgers in 2005,2006,2007 you will see hundreds of posts about him not being the answer to replace Brett.

i saw a lawnmower on the side of the road today....lets trade brady for that

Not sure why anyone would consider getting rid of the greatest QB of all-time (arguably) for a kid who may/may not end up being 1/2 or at best 2/3rds as good.

I wouldn't trade Brady right now for Barkley AND an additional 1st rd pick.

Guys, as a GM in my very own Madden Franchise, let me tell you why I think we should trade Brady now:

GTFO ten char

Why isn't Mallet the answer in your opinion? I think it is way to soon to pass judgement on Mallet. He played the preseason behind a pieced together offensive line throwing to WR and TE that were either cut or added to the practice squad.

Aaron Rodgers was awful as a backup early in his career. If you go to a Green Bay forum and search Aaron Rodgers in 2005,2006,2007 you will see hundreds of posts about him not being the answer to replace Brett.

Just a hunch. Rodgers was a 1st rd. pick, BTW.

Not saying Mallett is garbage, just haven't seen what I want to see yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST