Do you take Dez ?

• Yes, take a chance

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • No, the pick is too valuable

Votes: 25 34.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
depends who is still on the board but if he falls to #22, I bet we could fleece Dallas in a trade. Jerry Jones is a sucker for big splash moves.

Intriguing discussion. I'm leaning towards no because I want AJ Green next year, but if we took Dez I wouldn't be upset at all.

Last edited:
in a heartbeat

Me too. 2 months ago Dez Bryant was widely considered to be a top-tier first rounder and he is still the top receiver in the draft by a wide margin. This kid is lightening in a bottle and would take much heat off both Moss and WW/WWII.

His NCAA suspension for contact with Deion episode was a huge overreaction by the NCAA.

Bryant visited the Pats already so the Pats have more knowledge of him than we do and IF he passed their muster, I would guess he is still on the Pats' board as a high level player. IF he didn't, then he is off their board. So, although Patchick says conditional "yes's" aren't fair, I assert they sure as shootin are fair since we aren't privy to the interview process.

Same here. I don't get the fascination with those guys.

Yeah. The reality is you need both. One needs to be elite and the other has to be at least very good/clutch.

My memories of the 2009 season are dominated by an opposing team's quarterback sitting back in the pocket, carefully surveying the field, and then methodically picking apart our "Smurph" backfield. As much as a weapon Bryant might become, I want to see a front line that can get to the QB, and linebackers that destroy the line of scrimmage. And I never want to see a Pats linebacker in a futile chase of Dallas Clark again.

I wouldn't take him at #102. Habitually late for game & practices, sometimes unprepared=an "I don't give a s**t about football" attitude. Exactly what we don't want.

I'm not as concerned he'll get into trouble as much as I'm concerned he may think his natural ability is all he needs (J.R. Redmond mk II).

In the span of about 48 hours we've seen our biggest threats in the division make a big upgrade at WR. Meanwhile we've got an aging Randy Moss and a soon to be PUP list slot guy in Wes Welker. Are 2 backups are 2nd year WRs one coming off an acl tear and the other a former QB in college. So the need at WR is pretty clear and if the best available prospect at that position happens to slide, then yes I grab him. I don't think he's a bad kid and wouldn't label him a high character concern by any means.

In the span of about 48 hours we've seen our biggest threats in the division make a big upgrade at WR. Meanwhile we've got an aging Randy Moss and a soon to be PUP list slot guy in Wes Welker. Are 2 backups are 2nd year WRs one coming off an acl tear and the other a former QB in college. So the need at WR is pretty clear and if the best available prospect at that position happens to slide, then yes I grab him. I don't think he's a bad kid and wouldn't label him a high character concern by any means.
Right on brother! What this guy said.

Dez Bryant, at #22 is not a WTF move at all to get a top 15 talent at 22 would be a great pick.

i don't see him geting passed the Steelers. at #18 and i don't even think he will fall that far. Tennessee. at #16 would be a good fit for them they need a play maker bad.

I want defense, offense is fun to watch but defense wins championships.

Just like the Saints last year, right?

Offense can win championships, provided you have at least a decent defense. This is the most overrated saying in football.

I wouldn't take him at #102. Habitually late for game & practices, sometimes unprepared=an "I don't give a s**t about football" attitude. Exactly what we don't want.

I'm not as concerned he'll get into trouble as much as I'm concerned he may think his natural ability is all he needs (J.R. Redmond mk II).

Agreed. Not to mention I read one scout claim that any pro team that drafted him would need to "Scale down the playbook" due to his lack of intellegence. With all of the other WR's who have crashed and burned with the Pats due to the inability to grasp the playbook, do we really want that to happen to a 1st round pick?

Other teams signing WRs does not affect our need at WR. They're not even on the field at the same time.

It does affect our need at CB though :p

Last edited:
I voted No; #22 overall Must be a Can't-Miss pick, simple as that.

Now if he's still avail. at 44, then that's a different story.

Do you have a link or proof of your accusations? I never heard or read late or unprepared for practices or games, much less habitually so. What I have seen is about 2 hrs of one highlight reel catch and run after another. Soft hands, slick routes, great fakes, a freakish burst and outstanding change of direction.
Yeah, if BB wants him, I'm all for it.

If #22 must be a can't miss pick, then we should trade down to wherever there are no guarantees.

There are some "almost" guarantees in this draft, but they won't be there after 12.

After reading this article linked below, I'm not so sure Bryant is worth risk as the 22nd pick. But then again, as Moss, he may just come back to haunt all who pass over him ...

There is still time before Draft Day so more reports may come out; curious there is no defense from his college coaches. BB will just have to be trusted to have asked the right questions at his interview. Moss is Bryant's idol and maybe Moss could tutor the kid.

Dez Bryant an enigma to NFL personnel - JSOnline

Last edited:
If #22 must be a can't miss pick, then we should trade down to wherever there are no guarantees.

There are some "almost" guarantees in this draft, but they won't be there after 12.

I'm not opposed to a (small) trade-down at all, esp. if it will yield a 3rd-rounder.

Other teams signing WRs does not affect our need at WR. They're not even on the field at the same time.

It does affect our need at CB though :p

We're gonna need to put up points. You can have Deion Sanders in his prime and he would get torched w/o a significant pass rush. But knowing that it will take years to develop a conversion DE, we need an impact player on the offense. It doesn't have to be with the #22 pick but if the best available is there then it makes sense to take him IMO.

Last edited:
After reading this article linked below, I'm not so sure Bryant is worth risk as the 22nd pick. But then again, as Moss, he may just come back to haunt all who pass over him ...

There is still time before Draft Day so more reports may come out; curious there is no defense from his college coaches. BB will just have to be trusted to have asked the right questions at his interview. Moss is Bryant's idol and maybe Moss could tutor the kid.

Dez Bryant an enigma to NFL personnel - JSOnline
April is disinformation month.

I don't think it's worth it at 22. I think we've got other needs that need and/or could be addressed at 22. If we are going to take a WR early, I'd do it with one of the 2nd rounders or if Mike Williams is there in the 4th I'd grab him. I think guys like Benn and Mike Williams are comparable to Bryant talent-wise and are available at a better value.

Dez is a good player, but I would rather wait until 2011 to spend a 1st rounder on a WR because I feel that is a much stronger class at the top. I'd probably rather have any of AJ Green (my most desired WR), Julio Jones, Jonathan Baldwin, or Michael Floyd over Dez Bryant. I'm concerned about his speed and his intelligence.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back