PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you let '21 Uncertainty Change '20 Draft Strategy?

ForThoseAboutToRock

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
There have been a few stories passing around recently about the potential for college football to become a spring sport in 2021.

Example 1; Example 2;

Major Counterpoint - Example 3 -

A plurality (41 percent) believes we’ll have a 12-game season beginning in October or November, while 24 percent believe the season will start as scheduled and 20 percent think the season will be reduced to a conference-only schedule beginning in October. Of note: 23 percent of Power 5 ADs believe that option will happen compared to 18 percent of Group of 5 ADs; a season that saw guaranteed games canceled would be especially harsh on Group of 5 budgets.

Only 11 percent of FBS ADs foresee a season starting in the spring."

So, probably not a spring season, but it's a possibility.

A spring CFB season would obviously be a huge factor on the '21 draft and probably whether rookies drafted in '21 would be as effective for their NFL teams after effectively playing 2 seasons in 1 calendar year.

Given that, would you push '21 draft capital to '20 draft capital or as a trade for players?

Zero chance football becomes a spring sport, because the NFL will not become a Spring sport. There's no chance they would have kids go directly from the college season to an NFL season.

If it ever did come to that, you'd just have a lot of guys with tape as sophomores or juniors just sit the season out, hire a trainer to prepare for the NFL. That wouldn't be good for college football, and it certainly isn't ideal for the NFL either.

So no, I would not change anything. You proceed as you normally would, because things will get back on track, at their normal times, soon enough.

I addressed this in the big board thread. 2021 will be effected a lot more than 2020. Now is the time scouts are building new relationships, engaging old ones. Finding out about players that will breakout.
There's no way it becomes a full tume spring sport. Maybe a shortened season. Supplemental draft for those that want to get in. Not much will change on that end. There will be some type of draft either way.

The only silver lining is next year's draft could be overrun with underclassmen so it wouldn't be a nightmare if those guys went back not feeling comfortable enough.

A spring season? No fans? What will college football look like in 2020?

Interesting overview of the "what if's" of college football season. The spring season option was mentioned, but seems to be essentially the next to last choice - only ahead of total cancellation.

Obviously a moot topic with regards to what to do with '21 draft capital during the '20 draft.

@BaconGrundleCandy The only silver lining is next year's draft could be overrun with underclassmen so it wouldn't be a nightmare if those guys went back not feeling comfortable enough.

What's the logic here? I'm not following / am missing something.

A spring season? No fans? What will college football look like in 2020?

Interesting overview of the "what if's" of college football season. The spring season option was mentioned, but seems to be essentially the next to last choice - only ahead of total cancellation.

Obviously a moot topic with regards to what to do with '21 draft capital during the '20 draft.

What's the logic here? I'm not following / am missing something.
It will hurt older players a lot more than younger prospects.

It will hurt older players a lot more than younger prospects.
Don't the major colleges practice pretty intensely in the spring? I think the Alabama intra-squad scrimmage fills their stadium with fans. I raise the point because it's not as if they would be going from no play to a full season of football.

Don't the major colleges practice pretty intensely in the spring? I think the Alabama intra-squad scrimmage fills their stadium with fans. I raise the point because it's not as if they would be going from no play to a full season of football.
Yes but all of that is cancelled now.

I mentioned those practices above. Now is a critical time for scouts, they're usually getting a lot new info on players.

Expect to see a lot of later risers next year bc of that.

BGC - I just found an article on SI Bama Central..."will college football happen in 2020"........it is just one persons opinion but maybe of interest to you

BGC - I just found an article on SI Bama Central..."will college football happen in 2020"........it is just one persons opinion but maybe of interest to you
Yea I've always believed we'll have football and just heard SEC is on track to play. It'll be bumpy but football should be back.

Way too much money involved. Football effects so many things, so many scholarships to not happen. Like thousands and thousands of scholarships.

I'm sure the big shots will put their heads together to figure something out.

Hi BGC , far too quiet on Draft talk forum , lol.....any further thoughts if college season will happen ? Could it happen in some States with low COVID figures and not in others ?

Will games go ahead but with no crowds and empty stadiums

Hi BGC , far too quiet on Draft talk forum , lol.....any further thoughts if college season will happen ? Could it happen in some States with low COVID figures and not in others ?

Will games go ahead but with no crowds and empty stadiums
Sorry brother I got put on night/7 days 3 weeks ago and have been a zombie. That said I had a nice convo with a former player the other day that reinvigorated me big time. I needed it.

As far as the college season goes I've been on the side or we you wanna call it. That the season will go on or die trying. The good thing that would happen is a light would get shined on how much athletics/football really, matters. So much is tied to football. Not sure people know how many scholarships are tied that stuff. Football goes away and **** changes immensely.

So I believe they'll do we it takes to make every attempt to give it a go.

No probs, I used to hate late shifts ,you never seem to get used to them and I think it ages the body or it certainly feels like it! I hope the season does go ahead (safely).

Appreciate your work , now go and get some sleep

I see there is a small article on PFT quoting Lincoln Riley as saying delaying the college season to the spring would be doable

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back