PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you be happy....

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeanBruschi54

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
....with 2 LB's as our first two picks?

This is a very deep very talented LB class. And i have heard from people that several well named players are dropping on draft boards. Namely Mags and Laurinaitis.

My question is would you be happy with a painful and fast LB top 2?

For example some people see Rey dropping on draft boards into early 20's. So lets just say we were able to draft Rey Mags.

Would you mind Rey and lets just say a Maybin/Matthews/Laurinatis falls into our laps at 34.

I for one would love it.

As long as "painful" isn't describing my viewing experience as they cover a TE on a slant/drag route.

Last edited:
Painful as in players who tackle through you and not just bring you down.

This is a very deep very talented LB class. And i have heard from people that several well named players are dropping on draft boards. Namely Mags and Laurinaitis.

For example some people see Rey dropping on draft boards into early 20's. So lets just say we were able to draft Rey Mags.

Would you mind Rey and lets just say a Maybin/Matthews/Laurinatis falls into our laps at 34.

I for one would love it.
Of the four you listed? I'd be very skeptical of the draft's success going with the more hype team. If BB were to draft two Linebackers who actually fit his defense, then two LBs early is just fine.

I really want to see what Guyton has to offer. BB is high on this kid and I really like his physical skills as a ILB. If he has bulked up like he was suppose to, he could really be a good player in the BB system. Plus i think his coverage skills are better than alot of people on the roster and he has speed to boot.

With that said, it would not bother me one bit if they took Maybin, Sintim, or English off the board at 23, they really need an edge rusher and they both seem to fit the bill.

Everyone has a man crush on Conner Barwin at 34, but how about an offensive player at 34. Based on BPA take either a RT or WR, and if value does not present itself then we can think SS delmas.

With all that said, lets see what Guyton and Bruschi do and forgo drafting an ILB this season.

I expect a LB in the first two rounds but I expect a DE high also unless they think they can re-sign Seymour to a deal they're happy with. He's a FA after this year. As is Wilfork, who they could Franchise but . . . unless they think they can extend those guys I think we're looking at more DL than many expect.

I would be fine with two linebackers with our first two picks, especially since we have four picks in the first 60.

I would note that, as of now, I don't expect two linebackers since DE and WR are also major needs. However, these positions could be filled through free agency before the draft.

You would get more support if you didn't mention names. Everyone has their favorite and unfavorite linebackers. For example, I think many would like to see Barwin and Sintim. Others would cringe. The same could be said for Maualuga and Matthews.

I for one would love it.

I wouldn't be happy, but I wouldn't be upset either. (Depending on who is selected.) I think there is room for upgrades at both OLB and ILB so it would not be a bad move. But I think it could hand-cuff the rest of the draft.

I'm pro-Guyton, but we'll need a rotational ILB to step in and replace Bru before long. It would be awesome to see three high-quality ILB's who are young and fast trashing opponents by the playoffs.

I'd also like to see a quality safety drafted. Priority would be OLB, Safety, ILB, DE, in my books.

You would get more support if you didn't mention names.

So true. All I could do is stare, thinking "hold on, you're willing to spend the top 2 picks of Maualuga and Laurinaitis? And what, sit Mayo?" :)

So leaving names aside, maybe this question would work better if we separated OLB and ILB candidates. I don't imagine too many of us would lean toward, say, Barwin + English (or Maualuga + Laurinaitis!) But inserting your own favorite names, what about:

Barwin/Brown/English/Matthews/Maybin & Ayers/Laurinaitis/Maualuga/Sintim?

shotgun maualuga and english. i would be happy with that

I'd be happy with Matthews first and Barwin second. Both are very good prospects with big upsides. Matthews can play ILB or OLB. Barwin can play OLB or TE on goal line situation.

So I would be happy with those two guys at 1 and 2 even if the Patriots have to move up a few spots to get them.

shotgun maualuga and english. i would be happy with that

lol nice!

I suggested this scenario yesterday on another thread. I think it makes a lot of sense. We have needs at both and guys like English, Matthews, Ayers and Sintim can play both so that gives you multiple options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back