PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Would you be happy if we came out of pick #3 with Maye or Daniels ?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you be happy if the Pats came out of the draft with Maye or Daniels at #3 ?

• Total voters

scott99

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
As the question states, yes or no ? I know there are a bunch of people who want the Pats to trade down. Some want MHJ at #3. Me personally, I’d be thrilled with either Maye or Daniels at #3.

I think I’m going to be happy about any of Maye, Daniel’s, or even McCarthy. I said think as I’ll be easily swayed by what I read on here and hear on podcasts, so negative opinions dominating will temper that enthusiasm.

Also, RLKAG.

I think its going to be Maye at 3.

He's worthy of the pick. Can't overthink it. He's a much better prospect than Mac Jones. It's a QB driven league. Make the pick.

If Daniels falls to us at 3 I'll be stoked. He's electric, and his mobility alone is a huge weapon. Apparently there is a stat on the success rate of his throws under pressure in the pocket that is very encouraging.

I would be happy with one, but not the other so I cant really pick from the choices available.

Without looking much at their highlights, I would be very happy with Daniels at 3, but not Maye. Maybe it is because of what Chris said, but if Daniels is gone at 3, I would trade down instead of drafting Maye. The problem with Daniels is that that he may be a shrimp; IIRC he refused to be measured at the Combine.

In watching Maye, he does a bit of bird dogging and his WRs are wide open and he usually has a clean pocket. Wait 'till he gets the Patriots and no one is open and he is running for his life. He has better mobility than Mac, but not quite as accurate. However his mobility is nothing like Daniels nor does he have the elite pocket scrambling that Caleeb Williams has. I don't think that Maye is worth a 3. Trade down, get some weapons and protection and then get a second their QB who will probably be just as good as Maye.

My question all along has been do you take a chance on most likely Daniels or Maye and put them in an almost impossible position to succeed??Or do you trade down and get a few picks to help fill several holes?? See a lot of stuff about trading with Minnesota for their 11 & 23rd +. Even that move is risky as if JJ McCarthy is available at #11 have read quite a bit questioning whether he is a big time talent.
I don't know and most importantly do not know if the Draft Guru's of the Pats are in love with either Daniels or Maye. What I do know is that our current draft capital has to be dealt with very wisely to help rebuild this team.

maybe i'm overthinking this... I think we should take a QB only if the one we want is available... I've come to the conclusion that we should not draft the guy we don't want... If the new offense has a plan/scheme they want to implement, and the third QB option does not adequately fill that role, there is no reason the reach... tbh, I am not sold on any of the QB prospects, so maybe that is clouding my judgement...

If that is the case, the three options remaining are
▪ Draft the best LT in the draft
▪ Draft the BPA (Harrison jr?)
▪ Trade #3

The question is though, what will you get for #3? Is it worth it to pass over what could very well be two foundational pieces in LT Alt or WR Harrison, who could be here for years to come...

Daniels is the Better guy right now might be pushing Williams for #1 overall WR MH Jr phenomenal talent.

Too many glaring roster holes to put it on the shoulders of a rookie quarterback "savior" who can't be a difference maker anytime soon, regardless. Build the offensive infrastructure first, plug in the QB later. So, no.

But of course, this team hasn't done much of anything I've wanted it to do post-BB so why start now? :rolleyes:

Too many glaring roster holes to put it on the shoulders of a rookie quarterback "savior" who can't be a difference maker anytime soon, regardless. Build the offensive infrastructure first, plug in the QB later. So, no.

But of course, this team hasn't done much of anything I've wanted it to do post-BB so why start now? :rolleyes:
Isn’t that why Brissett is here? Nobody is expecting a rookie QB to come in and be the savior right away, so take the QB and start the build around him, properly this time.

Yes. I don’t know if either of them will be very good but they have some undeniable talent.

I just don’t want JJ McCarthy who I think is the next Zach Wilson.

Maye or Daniels yes, any other QB at #3, no.

I think we should take a QB only if the one we want is available... I've come to the conclusion that we should not draft the guy we don't want
Yep. This is what it comes down to, you definitely take the quarterback if you think he's the guy. It's a weird thing that people spend their lives analyzing quarterbacks and nobody seems to know who will work out, I don't really get it. I'm not really a big college football guy but I feel like if I spent my life watching it I would know. But yeah, you won't win without a quarterback so if he's there take him. Not really that complicated at the end of the day.

maybe i'm overthinking this... I think we should take a QB only if the one we want is available... I've come to the conclusion that we should not draft the guy we don't want... If the new offense has a plan/scheme they want to implement, and the third QB option does not adequately fill that role, there is no reason the reach... tbh, I am not sold on any of the QB prospects, so maybe that is clouding my judgement...

If that is the case, the three options remaining are
▪ Draft the best LT in the draft
▪ Draft the BPA (Harrison jr?)
▪ Trade #3

The question is though, what will you get for #3? Is it worth it to pass over what could very well be two foundational pieces in LT Alt or WR Harrison, who could be here for years to come...
I think it’s a given that they only take them if they have a grade on them that makes them worth the pick, I don’t believe they will take them if they don’t. Option 2 for me is trading out the pick , 3 1st round picks is worth far more than either Harrison or Alt are worth. I would only stay at 3 if the offers for the pick sucked, as I don’t believe either Alt or Harrison are the “ generational talents” some are claiming them to be. I think you can get OT’s and WR’s like them with a high pick in every draft, and I actually like Nabers more than Harrison because he’s better after the catch.

Last edited:
I'm more of a Maye guy than a Daniels guy, mainly because I think Maye is a better fit for their new scheme and because he's a couple years younger. I could see Daniels ultimately working out, though - he has improved his game every year so who's to say he wouldn't adapt to this scheme and be great?

I do also like McCarthy, and pick 3 feels like a reach, but if they took him because they really love him then I would be fine with that too.

I’d be thrilled with Maye. I’m skeptical of Daniels, but I’m trying to talk myself into him because I think there’s about a 50% chance he will be our quarterback.

I like McCarthy, but I realize there’s a lot more projection with him. A couple of months ago, when he was being talked about being drafted much later, I liked the idea of trading back for him. That doesn’t seem realistic now.

Its impossible to make an honest judgment until 3 seasons have passed.

Look at Corky Mac. After his inaugural 2021 season folks were getting the champagne ready.

I will be very unhappy if they don't

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back