Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Rob Ryan's hair

Votes: 8 13.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeoparCT

On the Roster
Reaction score
I added this deflate nonsense but bear in mind all that the NFL have said 11 balls were only a "few ticks" under that could mean a decimal of psi.

So let's get to voting on the worst crime in the NFL

Looks like Jerry "stickum" Rice isn't seen by pats nation as too much of a criminal. It's a pity he didn't have the class to do the same for us instead of blowing this deflate thing out of proportion.

While I wouldn't support the idea of injuring opponents on purpose, I'm surprised at the amount of votes for BountyGate. I think it's reprehensible, but it's about up there with SpyGate to me as far as being a real "crime" against league rules or competitive integrity. I'm open to being wrong...anyone wanna convince me?

edit: maybe it's just a result of people interpreting the question differently, I get that. but in terms of rule violations it's gotta be salary cap abuse. I find it unbelievable that this isn't more outrage amongst fans towards teams (let's just call them "Team DEN" and "Team SF" as random variables) who went out of their way to circumvent the salary cap. I understand teams and the league wanting it buried as a soft story confirmed years after the fact (because you can't go NCAA and start vacating wins and titles and ****, it looks pathetic), but I'd expect at least a Pats "scandal" level outrage from various groups of fans or talking heads.

Last edited:
While I wouldn't support the idea of injuring opponents on purpose, I'm surprised at the amount of votes for BountyGate. I think it's reprehensible, but it's about up there with SpyGate to me as far as being a real "crime" against league rules or competitive integrity. I'm open to being wrong...anyone wanna convince me?

So you think taping other teams signals, which is allowed and every team does is the same as a team setting up a system to give a monetary award (which in itself is a side pool which is not allowed) to the players who try to deliberately injure opponents.

Yeah, your moral compass isnt too phucked up. :rolleyes:

Can we delete this stupid thread? The only direction its going to go is down the sewer

Definitely salary cap abuse. Broncos had deferred payments of $29million. How much of this would be cap charge? Some or all? Anyone knows? Heck, even if it's half of that, that's $14.5 million. That's like having another revis or even a megatron.

So you think taping other teams signals, which is allowed and every team does is the same as a team setting up a system to give a monetary award (which in itself is a side pool which is not allowed) to the players who try to deliberately injure opponents.

Yeah, your moral compass isnt too phucked up. :rolleyes:
LOL no I don't think they're on the same level morally at all.

League rules wise...I think both were similar in that the punishments were way out of whack. SpyGate should have been zero punishment, BountyGate should have been big fines and no suspension.

LOL no I don't think they're on the same level morally at all.

League rules wise...I think both were similar in that the punishments were way out of whack. SpyGate should have been zero punishment, BountyGate should have been big fines and no suspension.

Oh I read it as you thought they were the same.

Bountygate and it isn't even close. It's one thing to cheat the cap it's another to pay your players for injuring dudes.

Uhh.. Rae Curruth?? Pretty hard to top that.
Clearly the most heinous of crimes as life was lost.

With that said, if we are looking at "NFL Crimes" the practice of salary cap circumvention is the worst.

In essence its basically the practice of everyone can buy the same groceries with the same credit limit, payment schedule and interest rate but one cardholder goes over the credit limit and promises to make payments but really never does. Complete BS.

Thats why I harp on the 1994 49ers title as sullied as that is exactly what they did to get Deion Sanders and Tim McDonald in 1993

Oh I read it as you thought they were the same.
Fair enough, it kind of reads that way. I just meant they were the same in that they were equally NOT a thing to me in terms of competitive balance. As if there was team going "oh ****! we should have put a BOUNTY on Brett Favre and then we would have won!"

Bountygate and it isn't even close. It's one thing to cheat the cap it's another to pay your players for injuring dudes.
The issue is that is was never really proven.

Hmmm. As robertweathers noted the evidence was a bit dubious and such. But I guess there's a legit argument to be made that paying players extra for injuries IS a method of circumventing the salary cap in and of itself.

I've gotta go with PED's, specifically steroids. The damage steroids do to the body long term is something no man should have to subject himself to get on an even playing field. The NFL films bio on Lyle Alzado is heart wrenching, and he came out on his steroid use so athletes of all ages could see it isn't worth the sacrifice. Steroids ruined MLB's image. Steroid scandals have gone beyond league investigations into legal investigations and court decisions. Performance Enhancing Drugs is the closest to toeing the line into actual illegal activity, depending on how and what drugs are used.

It has to be salary cap abuse without a doubt. You're able to sign other free agents or extend current players. Imagine signing Revis, McCourty to long term deals then being like heck we'll take Lynch, Suh, whoever the hell else. That's a much much bigger competitive advantage than stealing signals, stickum or whatever the hell else.

I dont agree with bountygate but let's be real it was pretty common and out in the open until the NFL was getting hammered by lawsuits and media about concussions. Therefore, in terms of competitive advantage I dont see it being that big.

Cheating salary cap to keep current stars and sign other players actually helps you win games and championships unlike the other 'crimes'

I am with Moga. Having your wife and unborn child killed.

Am I right?

The issue is that is was never really proven.

IDC, I'm gonna jump on the "they are guilty because it is expedient to my pre-existing world view" bandwagon that is so popular these days.

Feels good man.

I am with Moga. Having your wife and unborn child killed.

Am I right?

While I agree that his crime is deplorable and he justly was convicted that isn't really the "crimes" I implied hence I used quotations to soften the meaning of the word and specifically mentioned crimes in the NFL not outside of the league.

Side note, Mr Curruth is parole eligible in 2018. Have to love the leniency of the parole system.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back