PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Worrisome Gilmore comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

K. Dog

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Gilmore was quoted in a Mike Florio piece as giving unusually detailed information about practices - including which offenses the defense was preparing against! (no huddles).

Stephon Gilmore says Patriots defense has been focusing on no-huddle offense .

Florio then used this information (to the extent one trusts Florio of course - I haven't checked the primary source) to insinuate the Patriots are evading rules on off-season practices.

I've mentioned before on this forum that several of the Patriots off-season acquisitions do not seem to me to fit the pattern of their most successful acquisitions in off-season years. I was particularly concerned about the effect on team chemistry of bringing in some of these high-priced people.

If the Florio article is accurate, this is a red flag that underscores my previous comments.

There is no reason for Gilmore to give any kind of detailed information to the press that I can see except for self-promotion. And it already hurts the team - not a lot necessarily, but it does.

The problem with having even one or two players who put self-promotion ahead of team interests is that it puts the quieter players in a shadow. And when the self-promoting player hasn't even played a down for the Patriots and yet is one of the highest paid players on the team, I think it sows the seeds for the kind of dysfunction we love to mock in teams like the Steelers and Jets. Players start to play for the press and the fans, not for the team.

Even if nothing comes of this, I don't see how to spin this in a way that looks promising. Surely players are instructed about talking to the press. If so, is Gilmore saying team rules just don't apply to him, since his contract is so big? Is Gilmore trying to give a message to Belichick that practices are too difficult and if they aren't made easier that he will complain to the media?

It is true that Patriots players can talk to the press about non-substantive matters - amusing anecdotes and the like. But to say that the practices are geared to a specific offense obviously crosses the line. The fact that Gilmore cannot see this, or sees it and chooses to ignore it, is an issue - or is it?

Maybe I'm making something out of nothing. Let's hope so.

Last edited:
Gilmore was quoted in a Mike Florio piece as giving unusually detailed information about practices - including which offenses the defense was preparing against! (no huddles).

Florio then used this information (to the extent one trusts Florio of course - I haven't checked the primary source) to insinuate the Patriots are evading rules on off-season practices.

I've mentioned before on this forum that several of the Patriots off-season acquisitions do not seem to me to fit the pattern of their most successful acquisitions in off-season years. I was particularly concerned about the effect on team chemistry of bringing in some of these high-priced people.

If the Florio article is accurate, this is a red flag that underscores my previous comments.

There is no reason for Gilmore to give any kind of detailed information to the press that I can see except for self-promotion. And it already hurts the team - not a lot necessarily, but it does.

The problem with having even one or two players who put self-promotion ahead of team interests is that it puts the quieter players in a shadow. And when the self-promoting player hasn't even played a down for the Patriots and yet is one of the highest paid players on the team, I think it sows the seeds for the kind of dysfunction we love to mock in teams like the Steelers and Jets. Players start to play for the press and the fans, not for the team.

Even if nothing comes of this, I don't see how to spin this in a way that looks promising. Surely players are instructed about talking to the press. If so, is Gilmore saying team rules just don't apply to him, since his contract is so big? Is Gilmore trying to give a message to Belichick that practices are too difficult and if they aren't made easier that he will complain to the media?

It is true that Patriots players can talk to the press about non-substantive matters - amusing anecdotes and the like. But to say that the practices are geared to a specific offense obviously crosses the line. The fact that Gilmore cannot see this, or sees it and chooses to ignore it, is an issue - or is it?

I thought the same thing when I saw his quotes, but I figured this was a misstep from a new player who didn't know the Pats rules yet. BB or a veteran player will reel him in. I'd be concerned if this continues into the regular season.

John-Stewart-WTF.gif

I don't think that practicing against no huddle is somehow a closely guarded national secret.

Yep. And is ANYTHING sensitive info in minicamp, where come cutdown day half of the players will be available for other teams to sign? This is hardly game-planning intel we're talking about.

Florio doesn't say the Patriots are evading the rules, he just points out that the tempo and intensity clauses in the CBA for off-season workouts are ambiguous.

It's more of an interesting observation about where Belichick believes the league is headed (no huddle offenses, man to man defense) than anything.

I bet you won't see any additional articles quoting Gilmore.

Florio doesn't say the Patriots are evading the rules, he just points out that the tempo and intensity clauses in the CBA for off-season workouts are ambiguous.

It's more of an interesting observation about where Belichick believes the league is headed (no huddle offenses, man to man defense) than anything.

100%.

Gilmore was brought here for m2m coverage against a bunch of great WR Corps.

Oakland
Receivers: Amari Cooper, Michael Crabtree, Seth Roberts, Cordarrelle Patterson, Johnny Holton, Jaydon Mickens, K.J. Brent, Ishmael Zamora, Keon Hatcher

Tight Ends: Jared Cook, Clive Walford, Lee Smith, Gabe Holmes, Cooper Helfet

Tampa Bay
Receivers: Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson, Chris Godwin, Adam Humphries, Josh Huff, Freddie Martino, Donteea Dye, Bernard Reedy, Derel Walker

Tight Ends: O.J. Howard, Cameron Brate, Luke Stocker, Alan Cross

Fins
Receivers: Jarvis Landry, Kenny Stills, DeVante Parker, Leonte Carroo, Jakeem Grant, Rashawn Scott, Isaiah Ford

Tight Ends: Julius Thomas, Anthony Fasano, MarQueis Gray, Thomas Duarte, Chris Pantale

Pitt
Receivers: Antonio Brown, Eli Rogers, Cobi Hamilton, Darrius Heyward-Bey, JuJu Smith-Schuster, Sammie Coates, Demarcus Ayers, Marcus Tucker, Justin Hunter, Martavis Bryant

Tight Ends: Jesse James, Xavier Grimble, Davis Johnson, Ryan Malleck, Scott Orndoff

SD
Receivers: Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Dontrelle Inman, Tyrell Williams, Travis Benjamin, Geremy Davis, Isaiah Burse, Da’Ron Brown, Jamaal Jones, Javontee Herndon

Tight Ends: Hunter Henry, Antonio Gates, Sean McGrath, Jeff Cumberland, Asante Cleveland

Denver
Receivers: Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Jordan Taylor, Bennie Fowler, Cody Latimer, Carlos Henderson, Marlon Brown, Isaiah McKenzie, Hunter Sharp, Kalif Raymond

Tight Ends: Virgil Green, A.J. Derby, Jake Butt, Jeff Heuerman, Henry Krieger-Coble

Atlanta
Receivers: Julio Jones, Mohamed Sanu, Taylor Gabriel, Justin Hardy, Devin Fuller, Anthony Dable, Nick Williams, Andre Roberts

Tight Ends: Austin Hooper, Levine Toilolo, Josh Perkins, D.J. Tialavea, Eric Saubert

As for the O.P. I just don't see any chemistry issues here.

I doubt working a defense against no huddle offenses is any more enlightening, publicly, than working the offense against man coverage rather than zone.

I expect Belichick may counsel him on not explaining practices (the "good week of practice" response), but the value of the information really wouldn't be on par with cracking the enigma code in WWII.

You guys can laugh all you want now, but will you still be laughing when all of the Patriots opponents huddle up on each and every play...rendering all of this handwork useless.
You're right. It's obviously subterfuge for opening night when we face the Chiefs. Now the cat is out of the bag and Andy Reid will huddle up for the maximum amount of time no matter how much time is on the clock! Oh wait...

mv5a_f-maxage-0.gif

I absolutely loathe every poster who makes statements about every "high priced" talent we bring in as possibly effecting team chemistry. It's so illogical I can't even fathom a response.

It's as if they believe bb should only pursue "Rudy" type players because they are the only type of players who get along in the locker room . So baseless.

We brought in two young in there prime players, cooks and Gilmore, who are arguably top 10 players in the league at their respective positions. Shut up and enjoy it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News