PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Words on things I watched, read & heard

Very impressive lateral movements. Gives his man a lil hesi move. Looks like his going inside but just wants to use that momentum to come back outside. Sweet, violent club/hump there.
Shows off the quicks on play 2 but again look at his movements, east/west. Very quick and smooth.
3rd play is sweet too. Lil hesi to begin with then hits his man with great placement under the pads/pits and finishes with a rip.

Good stuff

Very impressive lateral movements. Gives his man a lil hesi move. Looks like his going inside but just wants to use that momentum to come back outside. Sweet, violent club/hump there.
Shows off the quicks on play 2 but again look at his movements, east/west. Very quick and smooth.
3rd play is sweet too. Lil hesi to begin with then hits his man with great placement under the pads/pits and finishes with a rip.

Good stuff

Better than Andrew Thomas so far even tough he is at left side

Better than Andrew Thomas so far even tough he is at left side
Thomas has struggled big time. Did not see this level of difficulty for him. Wirfs, Willis & Becton have been great, like top 20-25 good imo so I'm happy with that. Plus Jackson is playing decent in Miami. Thomas has had a hard time though. Just looks like a different cat.

We often run a 5-1-6 defense. It stops almost all passing games. The issue is defending against the run. But, we knew that before the season started. We needed an ILB and a NT. We still need an ILB and NT. However, this is somewhat nitpicking. We aren't losing games because of the defense.

And, every defense has strengths and weaknesses. Our weakness is up the middle, And yes, Bill uses strong safeties to help the run defense, as he always has.

Thomas has struggled big time. Did not see this level of difficulty for him. Wirfs, Willis & Becton have been great, like top 20-25 good imo so I'm happy with that. Plus Jackson is playing decent in Miami. Thomas has had a hard time though. Just looks like a different cat.
I thought Thomas and Wills were the most ready starter cause i thought Becton may need some time with speed rushers and Wirfs needs more technique hands work although he was the most athletic guy.

The offseason moves (Phillips, Dugger, Chung extension) sure made it look like the goal was to use a "big nickel" with McCourty at FS and two SS types rather than the two FS, one SS (McCourty, Harmon, Chung) package they've used for years in order to better match up against base defenses.

The Hightower opt out hurts of course, but that at least basically looked like a 1:1 replacement by Jennings on Sunday. Chung's opt out and Dugger's minor ankle injury left them without a second SS, and Allen's apparently severe lower leg injury and Davis' late week concussion left them without a nose tackle. Ideally, I think they'd love to get both stouter on the DL (potentially Guy, Allen, and Cowart on the field at once on early downs) and faster at the second level (either Phillips at "LB" and Dugger at SS or vice versa) against that personnel.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Back