PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Outside of injuries, this is the biggest threat to any success we might be able to cobble together in 2021!

wanted a run stuffing monster sized fatty!
I just hope we keep adding to the DL this draft. We desperately need another stud inside. Whether It's 0, 3, 5 or w/e let's give Barmore a running mate.

Maybe I do not understand this graphic. I read N.O. run defense was strong and the Pats was weak. But this graphic says they are almost the same. What am I missing?
So as I understand it they're looking at specific things like what type of blocks are happening, are those blocks defeated etc
From ESPN
"The running game is all about position and angles, and so are these metrics. First, each block is identified -- that's the easy part. Next, our system determines whether the defender was able to defeat the block. It does this by using a large set of rules based on relative distance to the runner, relative velocity to the runner and many other more complicated measures. A defender doesn't have to make the tackle to win his block. He can penetrate the backfield to cause a disruption, contain the runner behind the line of scrimmage, or squarely fill his assigned gap to earn a win. If a blocker allows his defender to win, he is debited with a loss.

There are several other wrinkles. One of them is that an unblocked defender can get a win if he makes the tackle inside 3 yards. Another is that if a blocker fails to land a block, which happens when a blocker can't get to a linebacker quick enough, he gets what we call a "whiff" loss."

I just hope we keep adding to the DL this draft. We desperately need another stud inside. Whether It's 0, 3, 5 or w/e let's give Barmore a running mate.
I agree, i think if Davis keeps playing like that he could be a steal in the second rd.(just guessing the round here). I think he is a perfect complement to Barmore in our D-Line with mostly two DT and two DE/Edge/OLB guys. He is tall, big, hard to move in the ground game and has shown improved pass rush so far. Got a safety last game i think. Besides from that i don't know if there are any other dominating NT going into the draft..it does seem like not exactly the best dt class again...Outside of Leal i haven't seen much DT with first rd. projections and one can argue that Leal could be listed at DE as well...I personally hope for a DE/CB/OT pick so far due to the quality of this groups...either of this group could have multiple top 20 picks...
CB: Stingley,Elam,Booth,Gardner
OT: Neal,Green,Ryan
DE: Thibodeaux,Jackson,Karlaftis,Harrison,Enagbare (last two more end of first or second according to big boards)....either one of them would be a great complement to Judon althoug i think we kind of loaded there right now with Wise,Judon,Perkins,Wino,Uche,Jennings

I agree, i think if Davis keeps playing like that he could be a steal in the second rd.(just guessing the round here). I think he is a perfect complement to Barmore in our D-Line with mostly two DT and two DE/Edge/OLB guys. He is tall, big, hard to move in the ground game and has shown improved pass rush so far. Got a safety last game i think. Besides from that i don't know if there are any other dominating NT going into the draft..it does seem like not exactly the best dt class again...Outside of Leal i haven't seen much DT with first rd. projections and one can argue that Leal could be listed at DE as well...I personally hope for a DE/CB/OT pick so far due to the quality of this groups...either of this group could have multiple top 20 picks...
DE: Thibodeaux,Jackson,Karlaftis,Harrison,Enagbare (last two more end of first or second according to big boards)....either one of them would be a great complement to Judon althoug i think we kind of loaded there right now with Wise,Judon,Perkins,Wino,Uche,Jennings
Leal might be my fav prospect in the class. Almost 300 with this type of flexibility?? He's a monster against the run. He would be a dream.
Leal 4i - 0 - Barmore 4i would be so sweet.

I will finish my threads ive been slacking in the draft stuff
Tyler Davis
Travis Jones
Phidarian Mathis
Perrion Winfrey
Zacch Pickens
DJ Davidson
Marquan McCall

Leal might be my fav prospect in the class. Almost 300 with this type of flexibility?? He's a monster against the run. He would be a dream.
Leal 4i - 0 - Barmore 4i would be so sweet.

I will finish my threads ive been slacking in the draft stuff
Tyler Davis
Travis Jones
Phidarian Mathis
Perrion Winfrey
Zacch Pickens
DJ Davidson
Marquan McCall

Leal and Barmore would be a Great combination for a three down DT/DE...BB would be all over the Place with this versality those two would offer. Highly doubtful he makes it past 10 though since other top Tier prospects aren’t necessarily lighten it up so far. I think BB is thrilled with other Defensive Players like Hamilton the top CB’s, Joseph and some DE as well..Imagine Hamilton my favourite Player in this draft in Pats Defense. Dude seems built like a SS Hybrid LB at 6’4 and 220 but can cover deep and has incredible athletic traits

Edit: The second interception against FSU is a must watch...beautiful recognition and Ball hawking

Leal and Barmore would be a Great combination for a three down DT/DE...BB would be all over the Place with this versality those two would offer. Highly doubtful he makes it past 10 though since other top Tier prospects aren’t necessarily lighten it up so far. I think BB is thrilled with other Defensive Players like Hamilton the top CB’s, Joseph and some DE as well..Imagine Hamilton my favourite Player in this draft in Pats Defense. Dude seems built like a SS Hybrid LB at 6’4 and 220 but can cover deep and has incredible athletic traits

Edit: The second interception against FSU is a must watch...beautiful recognition and Ball hawking
Yea Leal and Hamilton might be the only guys to challenge KT for first defensive prospects taken. I doubt anyone goes before him but those two could be special.

I love Karlaftis too. He's a big ball of clay that is just scratching the surface.

Yea Leal and Hamilton might be the only guys to challenge KT for first defensive prospects taken. I doubt anyone goes before him but those two could be special.
I think he has a shot to go first overall, wouldn't surprise me depending who owes this pick..i iniatilly thougt houston but they play much better than expected so i now think it's probably detroit or jaguars...the injury for KT sucks i wanted to see him play OSU.
I love Karlaftis too. He's a big ball of clay that is just scratching the surface.
yeah, edge class is looking good and deep. I like Jackson too, he's versality with dropping into coverage is interesting. A lot of guys with good size and length this year i feel. Hutchinson is a favourite of mine as well. Two words..Never stop..

@WaterfallJumper nice new nickname, i had to look twice at name and compare it with your avatar

I made the old name a long time ago, back when I thought it sounded cool to punch holes in arguments . . . turns out I don't do a ton of arguing, though, and too many people thought it was innuendo. Whoops! I kept the avatar, though, since it's a picture of me next to Steve Belichick's jacket in a little eatery in Maryland. My son is a lot older now, but it was neat to get a picture of us together in front of the memorabilia. :)

The new username is more personal, since it's related to my last name -- a certain fish known for swimming upstream and leaping up waterfalls. That's me, going against the current, haha. Thanks for noticing!

I made the old name a long time ago, back when I thought it sounded cool to punch holes in arguments . . . turns out I don't do a ton of arguing, though, and too many people thought it was innuendo. Whoops! I
What does this word mean?
kept the avatar, though, since it's a picture of me next to Steve Belichick's jacket in a little eatery in Maryland. My son is a lot older now, but it was neat to get a picture of us together in front of the memorabilia. :)
I'm sure it's a great memory !
The new username is more personal, since it's related to my last name -- a certain fish known for swimming upstream and leaping up waterfalls. That's me, going against the current, haha. Thanks for noticing!
Good one :thumbsup:

I made the old name a long time ago, back when I thought it sounded cool to punch holes in arguments . . . turns out I don't do a ton of arguing, though, and too many people thought it was innuendo. Whoops! I kept the avatar, though, since it's a picture of me next to Steve Belichick's jacket in a little eatery in Maryland. My son is a lot older now, but it was neat to get a picture of us together in front of the memorabilia. :)

i loved your old nick . actually used it on another thing . then changed it to dreamer :)

Before jumping to the Draft maybe Pats should maximise DL/Davis they have.
I like Guy but he had a bad preseason and the start of the season is not looking better.
Carl Davis outplayed him and he should be ahead of Guy in rotation imo. God/Davis + Barmore should be improvement.
The first adjustment already came - doubling Barmore's snap count to #1. They also used Wise on interior more.
Of course until Hightower and Bentley step up backing the line it will be a struggle.

I think guy is cooked! Good for maybe a dozen snaps a game. After that, he is playing on skates.

I am not sure what bb saw in godchaux? He plays high and getting blown off the ball man on man.

Before jumping to the Draft maybe Pats should maximise DL/Davis they have.
I like Guy but he had a bad preseason and the start of the season is not looking better.
Carl Davis outplayed him and he should be ahead of Guy in rotation imo. God/Davis + Barmore should be improvement.
The first adjustment already came - doubling Barmore's snap count to #1. They also used Wise on interior more.
Of course until Hightower and Bentley step up backing the line it will be a struggle.
Fwiw Davis is only signed for a year and God for two I believe. If Guy's downward spiral continues we could be thin going into FA/Draft.

I've been noticing Davis all summer. Arguably our best IDL but he was washed out quite a bit on doubles and holding his poa.

I was hopeful we cleaned up the issues with all the signings we made this past year but definitely need to be better.

I love it.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back