PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Content Post Words on things I watched, read & heard II

This has an opening post with good commentary and information, which we definitely recommend reading.
Obviously A22 isn't out yet but someone was kind enough to share it with me last week and shot me a few clips this morning (no option to share and her name/@ is on the clips anyway). Gave me insight to a few plays as well. I'll probably just try to get from the UK this week.

I made the point yesterday saying Josh only calls the plays. So much whinging about play calling. There definitely have been plays Josh would like to have back but he's coming up with some good stuff imo.
It's on Mac to decipher coverage, rush, down/distance etc where to go. Not sure I would call the play calling conservative when you consider the situation - Mac's first game against Flores, pass pro in shambles.
Sure Mac's Adot (average depth of target) is shrinkage tiny but he'll drop his balls soon enough. Pass pro is the key here. You don't want him starting to create, let it happen naturally as the PP improves.

You only get a few opportunities to really take advantage of deep shots so again if you've watched you know why we're not asking him to attempt them at any sort of pace. That said when they're there, when you have the time. You have to make it count. Esp against the better teams, long drives are great but we need explosive plays. So many NFL games are won and lost on explosive plays & TO's (3rd down / red zone). You can't keeping leaving plays on the field. There were 3 or 4 last week to Meyers and Agholor and 4 or 5 this week. One to Agholor, Bourne and Meyers two to Henry.
The double pass that had Agholor deep was very much available. As was Henry on the spike play. Both were open on two different plays as well for decent chunks in the MOF/Corner. I believe Meyers and Bourne were up the seam.

This is a tough ask - Mac's brand new playing in his second game. You're obviously trying to find some balance, where he is against actual live comp. So you don’t want to put him in bad situations. That's literally his biggest advantage - playing in NE, understanding what it's like to be a Pat, no dumb plays/TO, be decisive and accurate. You want play smart like he's been doing. It's understandable in context with this pass pro but there have been several prime chances to push the ball down field. We need to push to further down the field (YPA) and find a way to generate explosive plays (16 + \ TD'S through air)

Some context ...

That said Josh needs to make it in the coming weeks - Pass out out 12P! I forget which but it's on the first or second page in this thread. Defenses aren't ready for it in terms of personnel to counter it. Definitely not all game. We're not going to set records but we have a huge advantage at our disposal in that teams have to come correct against us bc of the run. I've seen some really sweet plays but we need a little creativity imo. Put both TE same side in different spots - inline, detached, backfield, slot, wide while you have two WR opposite. Enough with screens. If we're going to keep that up I want Smith involved a lot more. How about some simple TE leak routes? Also I love the trickery but let's not forget to take at least 1-2 PA shots a half to Agholor, he's a nice deep threat and flags, flags, flags ... We're bound to get one. Also mentioned this a few times months ago when drafted Mac but mix in an RPO or bootleg here and there. Mac could have walked in for a tuddy last game. Call it once a game to keep the defense sweating. Nothing special but the defense always gives up unaccounted yards on certain plays. Sometimes it's nice to actually put something on film for someone to see and not be secretive. Plus if you're good at something do it. Don't wait to "break it out later"

OL has been a mess all-around the last two weeks. Last week everyone was shakey across the board. This week the tackles stood out but I saw miscues from the interior as well again just like last week. Specifically this unit is having a hell of a time identifying and picking up stunts. A hell of a time! You'll notice most are delayed of some kind catching us off guard.
Guys are late sliding or moving too fast, allowing loopers easy access. Everyone has been guilty of this. Literally everyone right down the line. Onwenu has been beaten a few times, late picking up a stunt or not picking it up all together. Shaq has had issues picking up loopers. Wynn has been as bad as I've seen him in a while. This whole group needs to get it together. Develop some chemistry, an identity and move on. Getting Brown back is really key bc that RT side is just open for business without him.

Harris run was the best run I've seen in years by a NEP! My goodness lol dude broke seven tackles on a 25 + yard run and ran through 3 jete. Has so good. He runs with vision, patience, balance\contact balance & finishes every time. White ran as well as he's had in a minute. This group has potential but we really need Stevenson to get it together in pass pro. He'll get another chance if he fumbles but obviously not many. Getting the QB of the future blown up is a different story. You really don't get any chances there. You're ready or not. We need him though.

Concerning thing about the DL is who we're getting pushed around by. It's one thing to struggle against the Ravens or Titans or someone who is known for their run game. The los is being reset and we're being moved by teams with injuries on the OL, problems in general coming into the year and younger players up front. Neither really looked good in terms of stacking up against the rest of the league but obviously effective enough against us. Bill wanted to keep Wilson in the pocket - we know Bill wants things a certain way but again we're being pushed around by teams that playing backups some cases, which is fine. Backups are very good players too but neither the jete or Fins OL are scaring anyone in their current state the past two weeks.

Ive noticed we've been having problems with stretch plays/OZ as well. We need a little more speed up front. I'm sure that'll come once guys get into football shape the next game or two but it's noticeable and Carter kind of highlighted yesterday again for me. I'd love to see the splits on that.

Play more Carl Davis. Dude flashes during the summer, preseason and looks good yesterday while God looks average. It's not hard give him more snaps.

Dugger has been playing very well imo. Had a TFL. He's still hesitant breaking towards the ball/target but getting better. Much more fluid in coverage imo. Tough to tell with limited viewing of the tape but he looks a lot more natural. I'm hoping he's absorbing as much as possible between guys like DMC and Phillips. And yea Philips has been dynamite. Absolutely outstanding in all phases the last 18-19 games. Such a find and opportunity taken advantage of. The secondary was the star of the show yesterday. No Gilly, sure they had some soft balls but they grabbed them and how many dropped INTs do we see each week? A ton! This group is still very good, missing it's leader but still dangerous. Get the run defense straightened out and we're back in business.

Unleash Uche ... Sound familiar? Again something I wrote early page one or two in this thread. He was underutilized at Michigan and only used half a year last season. The kid has serious juice in his caboose, pop in paws and finishes!!! Finish counts and closes out games. It's insane he's not getting more snaps. I'm not a genius coach so I'll let Bill handle it but c'mon man this guy is making play after play. Crazy hesitation, nice get off, knows how to use built-in leverage and has a sweet "touch n go" move. Almost a swipe but he's using the "touch" to get his man to react with his hands, come forward so Uche can flatten/dip and bring the QB down. Put him and Judon on the same side with Wino opposite side a few times for a pass rush junkie?

Bentley was good and made some bad plays. Overflow, wrong steps causing him to be out of position or out of the play. He made several plays though, a few that had consequences behind the line. One pressuring Wilson and a tackle or at/behind the line. Hightower isn't in shape yet but we've been here before. Give him another game or two it's been a while.

Henry gets after it but Meyers is always making a solid effort. Wynn gets just enough of the DB. Again look at White cut, accelerate and finish. Love to see it.

Specifically this unit is having a hell of a time identifying and picking up stunts. A hell of a time! You'll notice most are delayed of some kind catching us off guard.
Guys are late sliding or moving too fast, allowing loopers easy access. Everyone has been guilty of this. Literally everyone right down the line. Onwenu has been beaten a few times, late picking up a stunt or not picking it up all together. Shaq has had issues picking up loopers. Wynn has been as bad as I've seen him in a while. This whole group needs to get it together. Develop some chemistry, an identity and move on. Getting Brown back is really key bc that RT side is just open for business without him.

You missed the BIG ONE in terms of missing the stunts and twists. Andrews. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They are his kryptonite and have been since he came into the league. And teams are REALLY taking advantage of it this year.

I honestly don't understand it. Every play, if someone isn't lined up over him, he turns and helps one of the guards instead of waiting for the delay. The result is that someone has flown right by him at least 4 times each game this season. Yes, it's ben that bad.

This hole in Andrews' game is exactly why I wanted the team to keep Thuney and slide him to center. Opposing teams are doing it so much against the Pats O-line on passing plays it's allowed them to blow them up even on Play-Action. Thuney had no issues picking up the late twist/stunt or blitzer.

I think that the Patriots are going to have to put a Priority on a Center in the next draft because Andrews just isn't going to cut it moving forward long term.

You missed the BIG ONE in terms of missing the stunts and twists. Andrews. I've said it before and I'll say it again. They are his kryptonite and have been since he came into the league. And teams are REALLY taking advantage of it this year.

I honestly don't understand it. Every play, if someone isn't lined up over him, he turns and helps one of the guards instead of waiting for the delay. The result is that someone has flown right by him at least 4 times each game this season. Yes, it's ben that bad.

This hole in Andrews' game is exactly why I wanted the team to keep Thuney and slide him to center. Opposing teams are doing it so much against the Pats O-line on passing plays it's allowed them to blow them up even on Play-Action. Thuney had no issues picking up the late twist/stunt or blitzer.

I think that the Patriots are going to have to put a Priority on a Center in the next draft because Andrews just isn't going to cut it moving forward long term.
Yea I mentioned Andrews last week and he's obviously a member of the interior. He's definitely had his issues with them but this is on everyone.

I showed a clip of him & Onwenu failing to slide and engage targets on a delayed stunt that put Wynn in a 2/1 situation last week. He's had issues but you can live with them when everyone else is on their game.

I keep going back to first page but it's on topic. Our OL looks like Bill is preparing and going against us with they way people are attacking us. Second level, delayed stuff are killing us rn.

Then there are the tackle issues, present and going forward.
Wynn, the $10 million LT in the final year of his contract, has been woeful according to one of the 98.5 mediots (Zo?) yesterday, already giving up more QB pressures in 2 games than all of last year.....not to mention all the red flags thrown in his direction.
And the gimpy 380 lb Trent Brown, another Pats lineman with an expiring contract, who lasted one whole series before going lame with a recurring calf issue.

Andrews contract has $4 mill guaranteed next year so his '22 Patriots future is more certain.
Mason has no guaranteed money coming in '22 so his value to the team deserves some scrutiny
------------------
Lots of issues at premium positions, #1 DB, LT, RT........ that will have to be addressed this offseason.......not to mention several key aging players who could call it a career this winter

This rebuild is far from over

Concerning thing about the DL is who we're getting pushed around by
yea, this seems like the big worry, right? I feel like the Jets might not do that again this season, 150+, 5 yards a pop? Two games or not, I think our D is healthy, so what's the rationale for not panicking somewhat here?

Real question btw, I want to be reassured lol

yea, this seems like the big worry, right? I feel like the Jets might not do that again this season, 150+, 5 yards a pop? Two games or not, I think our D is healthy, so what's the rationale for not panicking somewhat here?

Few things.

Sure we're healthy (have to assume for the most part) but it's possible we haven't found the right combination up front. Both alignment and personnel. We could tinker there and probably aren't in final form. Run defense has been poor no doubt but there is room for significant change considering its game 3. Halloween - Thanksgiving, you are what you are in most cases.

I feel like Davis has earned some playing time. If nothing else for his push up front. Had issues against doubles, moved out of his gap a few times but he can't be worse thann what's in there now. Especially with the play and uncertainty on the line rn. He was the the best 0/NT all summer. Give him 25-30 snaps and see what happens. Again I highly doubt he's worse than the current option(s).

It's also game two. The team just isn't calloused up yet. Small sample size against teams we should be swamping but it's possible we need a another game or two before the trench players gel. Hightower gets in football shape.

I mentioned it above I believe but I think we've been susceptible to wide/stretch stuff. So there is specific stuff we can work on.

Trust me I'm concerned as well. On paper if there's one thing that stands out with this group, its that they should be able to stop the run.

yes there are good players on offense and I'm confident they will jell but the defense is really problematic. The older players seem to have lost a step and the younger players seem to have trouble doing their job. Wino and Uche are respectable pass rushers but seem limited in other aspects, holding the edge, in coverage. We can't rely on the Jets OC to bail us out every week.

Could Eric Ebron be on his way out of Pittsburgh. Coach's decision to not practice? Only been targeted 4 times in 2 games on 51 snap.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back