PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wonderlic scores are out

Dumb question, but does anyone have the skinny on how teams even really use the wonderlic in their player evaluations (typically)? Or a link to an article getting different coaches' views on its value?

I guess the case is different with every player and the test is simply another piece of the puzzle that a team MIGHT want to use to tip the scale between two players it otherwise has graded fairly equally. I took the sample test and just don't see it's relevance to playing football on really any level. :confused:

Dumb question, but does anyone have the skinny on how teams even really use the wonderlic in their player evaluations (typically)? Or a link to an article getting different coaches' views on its value?

I guess the case is different with every player and the test is simply another piece of the puzzle that a team MIGHT want to use to tip the scale between two players it otherwise has graded fairly equally. I took the sample test and just don't see it's relevance to playing football on really any level. :confused:

Just out of curiosity, how did you do? I heard it's not the hardest of tests to take. I don't think there's any relevance as far as comparing it to football, it's just a test that measures basic skills, comprehension, etc. From what I understand, it's kind of like an IQ test.

I would have to agree with you that it's probably just one more thing looked at in comparison of certain players, and is probably way overhyped by the media etc.

Larry English is interesting ... a smart OLB - which you need to be in the NEP defense

What was Mayo's score?

I disagree with those who think Wonderlic scores have nothing to do with football.

Complicated offensive and defensive schemes must be LEARNED, and if you don't have the brain power to learn them, no amount of natural football savvy will do.

I think high intelligence is also important when it comes to on-field adaptability. So is creativity. So are fast reflexes.

Of course, some teams have simpler schemes and some positions don't require the intellectual mastery of a complex series of actions. For those teams and those positions, Wonderlics are less important.

But everything else being equal (which is hard to imagine), smarter players have an advantage.

Well Curry scores the same as Mayo on the Wonderlic. I wonder if that's an omen. :D

I disagree with those who think Wonderlic scores have nothing to do with football.

Complicated offensive and defensive schemes must be LEARNED, and if you don't have the brain power to learn them, no amount of natural football savvy will do.

I think high intelligence is also important when it comes to on-field adaptability. So is creativity. So are fast reflexes.

Of course, some teams have simpler schemes and some positions don't require the intellectual mastery of a complex series of actions. For those teams and those positions, Wonderlics are less important.

But everything else being equal (which is hard to imagine), smarter players have an advantage.

Karlos Dansby scored a 13 on the Wonderlic coming out of college. Ray Lewis posted 10, as did Asante Samuel.

You could teach a dog how to react to read keys.

I have said it before but I will say it again, The Wonderlic has nothing to do with football. I can grab a kid off the streets of the Harvard campus who has never played football before and he can score in the 40's. I can take one of the best football players of all time, Marino who scored a 16. Who would you rather have the ball in their hands?

If it is so irrelevant, why do the teams have it as part of the information summary on the player draft profiles in their war rooms ??

I have said it before but I will say it again, The Wonderlic has nothing to do with football. I can grab a kid off the streets of the Harvard campus who has never played football before and he can score in the 40's. I can take one of the best football players of all time, Marino who scored a 16. Who would you rather have the ball in their hands?

For most positions it might not matter but for the QB I think it does. Marino might be the exception but I'd rather have a Brady QB'ing my team.

For most positions it might not matter but for the QB I think it does. Marino might be the exception but I'd rather have a Brady QB'ing my team.

It seerms it might also be important for the defensive signal callers (Linebackers and Safeties)

I think random sixth graders could do better than 75% of these players, so I'm not sure I'd be quick to differentiate between most of those scores.
they're all ******ed, some are just less ******ed, but considering how hard you get hit in the nfl, I'd say ignorance is probably bliss.

Wonderlics are important to some teams.

I believe that the following should not have low Wonderlics
quarterbacks
offensive linemen
defensive signal callers
wide receivers (somewhat controversial but the receivers MUST understand defenses)

Wonderlics are important to some teams.

I believe that the following should not have low Wonderlics
quarterbacks
offensive linemen
defensive signal callers
wide receivers (somewhat controversial but the receivers MUST understand defenses)

I have no doubt that wonderlic is an indicator of certain cognitive skills, but I refuse to believe it has a direct correlation to a football players ability to read a defense.

I have no doubt that wonderlic is an indicator of certain cognitive skills, but I refuse to believe it has a direct correlation to a football players ability to read a defense.

That would imply that BB's defense (or any NFL defense for that matter) lacks any cognitive attributes.

That would imply that BB's defense (or any NFL defense for that matter) lacks any cognitive attributes.

I didn't say that. I said it has no DIRECT correlation. Meaning you can't look at a wonderlic score and say, "This guy will pick up BB's defense, this guy won't, this guy will, etc".

It's just not that simple.

Of course it's not that simple. However, if a player has a 12 on his Wonderlic, you don't hand him the play book and expect him to understand it by studying it over the weekend. You expect someone with a 12 on their to assess the intent and schemes of the other team and instantly call signals and shifts in formation. If someone has a 12 on their Wonderlic, you don't expect him to read the defense and break with the ball in the air.

For some positions, I don't it matter much; DL and RB for example. For others like ILB, S, C and QB, I think that the Wonderlic is much more important. I am referring to the ILB and S who call the signals.

I didn't say that. I said it has no DIRECT correlation. Meaning you can't look at a wonderlic score and say, "This guy will pick up BB's defense, this guy won't, this guy will, etc".

It's just not that simple.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back