PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With Wynn Out, Time to Play Trent Brown at LT and Michael Onwenu at RT

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
So Wynn is out this weekend and probably the weekend after too due to him being unvaccinated.
The OLine has been an absolute mess.

1. Trent Brown was a durable, Superbowl-winning left tackle for the Patriots in 2018. He has been an injury-prone, mediocre RT on multiple teams. Trent Brown has consistently graded as a better pass blocker than a run blocker. Time to play Trent where the OLine expert Dante Scarrnechia played him, which is at left tackle.

2. Michael Onwenu was a NFL top-10 right tackle last year. Onwenu has struggled at LG this season. Time to play Onwenu at right tackle.

3. Karras is the best guy on the bench. He's not elite but he's adequate, and significantly better than trying to play Herron or Durant ever again. Play Karras at LG until Wynn comes back.

4. Herron and Durant are the 49th and 50th rated blockers in the league. They are terrible. Stop trying something that does not work over and over again. Herron or Durant should never play snaps before Karras at LG sees the field first.

5. The OLine coach, Bricillo, was a nobody at Youngstown State U before coming to the Pats. At this point based on how crappy the past 4 weeks were, time to stop listening to this crappy OLine coach and also get a new one when the season ends. The 'continuity' excuse is farcical when the team has been swapping out crappy right tackles after the 1st quarter for 4 games in a row.

Play:
Trent Brown - Karras - Andrews - Mason - Onwenu.

Last edited:
The Wynn experiment is over. He’s a bust.

But I think this is Brown’s only year here. He’s unreliable.

Is Brown even available to play?

2018: "Trent Brown has been starting on Tom Brady's blind side since Week 1 and hasn't missed a game this season, playing in 97.7 percent of his team's offensive snaps. He's provided stability on the edge after a year in which the Patriots needed four different starting tackles en route to Super Bowl LII...But Brown has given the Patriots far more than a durable presence. The 6-foot-8, 380-pounder has allowed just three sacks all season, according to Pro Football Focus, and in 90 pass-blocking snaps this postseason he's given up just two hurries. No hits. No sacks. "

"Trent can make the tough blocks on the back side, and he’s a really good pass-blocker for multiple reasons,” said Scar. “He’s so big, and he’s so long. He’s just a big guy to run around, and he’s really a hard guy to rush through. And, I think he loves challenges. The better the players, the more attention he pays. He really gets into it.”"

"Once Scarnecchia saw the talent, thought left tackle was the best fit for Brown."

"The former offensive line guru said when the Patriots moved him to the left side, there were some rumblings challenging the switch. Brown had been a right tackle with the 49ers, but once Scarnecchia watched him daily in practice, the move to the left side was obvious.

“Once you saw him on one-on-ones, you could see you could play him anywhere you wanted to put him,” said Scarnecchia. “And he was really good when we put him at left tackle. Whoever he was up against, he’d block ’em.
“I always say you gotta make ’em prove it, whether they can or whether they can’t, and he certainly proved that he could.”

Last edited:
i think if Brown is available, I tend to agree. I’m hoping OL is a priority in the 2022 offseason.
I’m also more of a Karras fan than many posters. I’d like him to get a shot at becoming a regular. NE’s struggled.

You still have hope for Trent brown i see. I guess you have nothing else after that. He had one good season. Its like the josh gordon hope. Always there but never delivering

You still have hope for Trent brown i see. I guess you have nothing else after that. He had one good season. Its like the josh gordon hope. Always there but never delivering

I hear ya. Just trying to figure out a possible solution. At this point I think the whole OLine should be up for being moved around, the lineup isn't working. I wonder if Trent has always hated playing right tackle, he seems 'soft' in that he's massive but not really mentally a road grader type of blocker. He seems to me more like a poor man's Jonathan Ogden (who was another massive left tackle, not right tackle).

Literally both of your solutions haven’t practiced at all this week and therefore probably aren’t playing. This is a question for next week if they are available and Wynn isn’t.

I hear ya. Just trying to figure out a possible solution. At this point I think the whole OLine should be up for being moved around, the lineup isn't working. I wonder if Trent has always hated playing right tackle, he seems 'soft' in that he's massive but not really mentally a road grader type of blocker. He seems to me more like a poor man's Jonathan Ogden (who was another massive left tackle, not right tackle).
Like everyone else... Will this be the week he plays? I know they want him for the long haul but they need to start winning games

Like everyone else... Will this be the week he plays? I know they want him for the long haul but they need to start winning games

This is really bad, so who's playing, Herron and Durant are BOTH playing ??? Mac is going to suffer a serious injury. Play Brian Hoyer this Sunday then.

This is really bad, so who's playing, Herron and Durant are BOTH playing ??? Mac is going to suffer a serious injury. Play Brian Hoyer this Sunday then.

I suspect a tight end will be in most of the time for help but lets be real... Theyre just as bad up the middle versus the edge. They need collective improvement

So Wynn is out this weekend and probably the weekend after too due to him being unvaccinated.
The OLine has been an absolute mess.

1. Trent Brown was a durable, Superbowl-winning left tackle for the Patriots in 2018. He has been an injury-prone, mediocre RT on multiple teams. Trent Brown has consistently graded as a better pass blocker than a run blocker. Time to play Trent where the OLine expert Dante Scarrnechia played him, which is at left tackle.

2. Michael Onwenu was a NFL top-10 right tackle last year. Onwenu has struggled at LG this season. Time to play Onwenu at right tackle.

3. Karras is the best guy on the bench. He's not elite but he's adequate, and significantly better than trying to play Herron or Durant ever again. Play Karras at LG until Wynn comes back.

4. Herron and Durant are the 49th and 50th rated blockers in the league. They are terrible. Stop trying something that does not work over and over again. Herron or Durant should never play snaps before Karras at LG sees the field first.

5. The OLine coach, Bricillo, was a nobody at Youngstown State U before coming to the Pats. At this point based on how crappy the past 4 weeks were, time to stop listening to this crappy OLine coach and also get a new one when the season ends. The 'continuity' excuse is farcical when the team has been swapping out crappy right tackles after the 1st quarter for 4 games in a row.

Play:
Trent Brown - Karras - Andrews - Mason - Onwenu.

Psst. Brown isn't playing. Who's at RT now? Herron?

More applicable for when he's back but the guy is a long armed pass-blocking left tackle, not a road grader right tackle.

Your other thread wasn't good enough?

that one became more of a weekly tracker of OLine ineptitude. This one is very specific to the upcoming weekend.

The pre-game thread wasn't good enough?

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots