PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With Springs AND now Bodden day one need at CB/S far less

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it does ALL point to LB (supposedly OLB is a strong group)... BUT as we all know, when it's so obvious to everyone what BB will do, he sometimes goes out and drafts a TE !!!

Here's hoping the Pats DO go either safety or OLB with their #1. As long as it's D often and early, I'm happy. Knowshon, no thanks.

We are set for now, but can certainly be open to drafting a safety. As the OP indicated, the NEED is much, much less now.

CB Hobbs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite, Richardson
S Meriweather, Sanders, Springs, Spann

If these are our DBs going into the regular season, I wouldn't be too thrilled with it. If that's who you're going into TC with, yikes! Where do I start?

1) Certainly Spann and Richardson can - and should - be improved on.
2) Hopefully, Sanders can be improved on as well. At least from a coverage perspective.
3) Springs at safety? Not sure.
4) Who's going to play in the slot? This was a huge weakness last year.
5) There's no guarantee that both Bodden and Springs are going to work out - one of them could be the next Fernando Bryant or Duane Starks.
6) Two words - injuries, competition.
7) Even if everything works out, Hobbs and Bodden are FAs next year and Springs will be 35.
8) This doesn't even consider the question of whether a mid 2nd round pick this year would be a better prospect than Wheatley and Wilhite.

So I would say that CB is still a need. And Safety is still very much a need.

If these are our DBs going into the regular season, I wouldn't be too thrilled with it. If that's who you're going into TC with, yikes! Where do I start?

2) Hopefully, Sanders can be improved on as well. At least from a coverage perspective.
5) There's no guarantee that both Bodden and Springs are going to work out - one of them could be the next Fernando Bryant or Duane Starks.
7) Even if everything works out, Hobbs and Bodden are FAs next year and Springs will be 35.
8) This doesn't even consider the question of whether a mid 2nd round pick this year would be a better prospect than Wheatley and Wilhite.

They just signed two corners with quality nfl exp. I think that tells you all you need to know about this years crop. Does that mean they don't take a CB day 1, no. It's just one less thing to worry about.

One thing is for certain in my mind now. Something is going down and I don't know what it is. There is no way with these signings that we will keep all of these draft picks. We are either trading up in this season's draft, trading out of the 09 into the 10 draft or we are making a move for a couple of more veterans.

I'll admit, I sometimes used to wonder if Pioli was the true mastermind behind our drafts and scouting. But so far in this offseason it is perfectly clear that Belichick is in full control in all matters of the NE Patriots. I know it is early but so far he has done a fantastic job.

Safety and LB are both positions where you get real good players in the late first and throughout most of the second round. we are in a great position to upgrade even further

CORNERS
We don't need 5 corners. But we will carry five. Let the best three get almost all the reps!

We have Hobbs, Bodden, Springs, Wheatley, and Wilhite
Even if one turns out to be Starks, we won't know until the season is underway and the player has his second major injury. That is what happened to Starks. And he played with his injury. But no matter, we would still have FOUR corners. Only three get many reps, depending on the safeties and linebackers on the team.

Even if a 2nd round corner in this draft could be a better prospect than Wheatley or Wilhite, that doesn't mean we should draft him.
===========================================
SAFETIES
I agree that we need a safety. Belichick has decided to spend starter money for James Sanders. So fo now, we have our starters, like it or not. Everyone here wants us to use the opportunity of this draft to secure another top safety for the future.

One thing is for certain in my mind now. Something is going down and I don't know what it is. There is no way with these signings that we will keep all of these draft picks. We are either trading up in this season's draft, trading out of the 09 into the 10 draft or we are making a move for a couple of more veterans.

I'll admit, I sometimes used to wonder if Pioli was the true mastermind behind our drafts and scouting. But so far in this offseason it is perfectly clear that Belichick is in full control in all matters of the NE Patriots. I know it is early but so far he has done a fantastic job.

I agree. BB is ready to pull the trigger and trade up--there must be a player or two in the top 20 or so that he really wants.

CORNERS
We don't need 5 corners. But we will carry five. Let the best three get almost all the reps!

Yeah, but if your best three are all just so-so, then you still do not have enough corners. It is not just numbers, there is a talent aspect as well.

Even if a 2nd round corner in this draft could be a better prospect than Wheatley or Wilhite, that doesn't mean we should draft him.

I would say in any round, first to seven, if there is a CB that is a upgrade over what the team has, take him.

SAFETIES
I agree that we need a safety. Belichick has decided to spend starter money for James Sanders. So fo now, we have our starters, like it or not. Everyone here wants us to use the opportunity of this draft to secure another top safety for the future.

We have seen over the past few years, usually 3 safeties get starters reps. So Having a third quality safety is a need over a luxury.

Don't be so certain that the signing of Springs and Bodden means the Pats

won't use a first day pick on a cornerback. Springs is 34 years old.

Bodden has only a one year contract and had a good year in 2007 but a

lousy year in 2008. Hobbs contract is up after 2009. Wheatley and

Wilhite are unknown quantities. The best way to get a quality CB

on the cheap is thru the draft.

The best way to get a quality CB on the cheap is thru the draft.
We did that last year. I doubt we'll keep more than 5 CB, so Hobbs, Bodden, Springs, Wheatley and Wilhite should be it. There's a small chance we could draft one reasonably high and either keep six or let the new guy compete with Wilhite for a roster spot but more likely our highest drafted CB will be in the 4th round or, more likely, later IMO.

One of the things that Belichick has always said is that who the team signs only has a marginal impact on who they draft because all the players are rated using the same system. So the Pats always take the Best Value available from their draft board.

Since Bodden's deal is only for 1 year and there is a no franchise clause (though without a new CBA Bodden would be an RFA), I would still expect the Pats to look at a Day 1 Safety and CB.

People mention linebacker, but they don't say which. IMHO, the Pats need another ILB more than an OLB. So I could see them going defense with their first 4 picks. But I also know they could use an upgrade at OG and another OT in the mix since Britt wasn't tendered, O'Callaghan is a concussion away from retiring, though I will say that LaVoir filled in admirably for Light at LT and Kaczur at RT.

If the Pats came out with Barwin, Delmas or Sean Smith, and an ILB in 3 of thier 1st 4 picks, I'd say that they made out like bandits.

Yeah but I think this latest move puts Springs at safety. Still a guy like Delmas/Chung at pick #47 can be the future.

Springs is going to play the S/CB spot that BB likes to have. And with the injuries that the Pats seem to suffer every year in the secondary (because of their aggressive play), having another CB and/or S would be a nice thing.

I'll be honest. I don't care for Antwan Spann and the Pats have to plan long term as well. So they need someone at CB in case they lose Hobbs and Bodden next year. They also need someone at safety who can grown into the role that Harrison was playing.

You can never rule out anything with the Pats draft lol but we're saying that the NEED for an immediate impact player isn't there as it once was.

As of right now the only CB/S I'd take at #23 is Malcolm Jenkins. At #34 I'd take Sean Smith and Darius Butler. At #47 I'd take Alphonso Smith or Louis Delmas. And at #58 I'd take Chip Vaughn. Otherwise I'm looking elsewhere.

Last edited:

1) Certainly Spann and Richardson can - and should - be improved on. Can you show me who said that Spann and Richardson couldn't be improved upon? They certainly can, but there is such a thing as a salary cap. And it limits you to how many "starting quality" players you can have on your team
2) Hopefully, Sanders can be improved on as well. At least from a coverage perspective. This is where Springs would become a Safety.
3) Springs at safety? Not sure. Did you miss the Springs interview where he said that safety is basically the position he played last year, though he lined up in different spots? I think that is one of the reasons the Pats signed him.
4) Who's going to play in the slot? This was a huge weakness last year. My guess is that they could bring Sanders off the field and put Wheatley in the slot.
5) There's no guarantee that both Bodden and Springs are going to work out - one of them could be the next Fernando Bryant or Duane Starks. Well, while Starks didn't have success, much of it was due to injuries. Bryant was paid very little money in comparison to Springs and Bodden. Its much more likely these two will play.
6) Two words - injuries, competition. Yep. It happens every year.
7) Even if everything works out, Hobbs and Bodden are FAs next year and Springs will be 35. As things stand right now, with next year being uncapped, both Bodden and Hobbs would be RFAs, not UFAs, as neither would have 6 seasons in the league.

While I disagree with some of your points, the end result is the same. A CB and or a Safety could still be taken on Day 1. It all depends on teh value that the players brings to the team.

Things to consider. Do players like Smith and Delmas have experience on special teams? What about the linebackers that the Pats are considering. I know that Connor Barwin does, but what about the rest of the early LB prospects?

You can never rule out anything with the Pats draft lol but we're saying that the NEED for an immediate impact player isn't there as it once was.

As of right now the only CB/S I'd take at #23 is Malcolm Jenkins. At #34 I'd take Sean Smith and Darius Butler. At #47 I'd take Alphonso Smith or Louis Delmas. And at #58 I'd take Chip Vaughn. Otherwise I'm looking elsewhere.

Depending on who is on the board, Smith could easlily be taken at 23 as could Delmas. Don't rule out Patrick Chung either in the 2nd round.

the first thing is that the pats have to improve their pass rush from the OLB spot, and that does NOT mean hoping woods or crable or redd are players.....the biggest hole right now on the pats defense is the starting OLB opposite thomas.....that player simply does not exist on the pats roster......woods is a bckup at best and would have shown more last year if he had more to show.....he's been around long enough

now this changes in a big way the moment they bring in jason taylor which I am convinced is going to happen, but there is still a hole given both starters would be on the wrong side of 30

Depending on who is on the board, Smith could easlily be taken at 23 as could Delmas. Don't rule out Patrick Chung either in the 2nd round.

Well for me if I have a choice between Larry English or Sean Smith I'm taking English. The value is pretty much equal IMO. Where as Jenkins slipping would be equivalent to when Wilfork slipped to us.

You're right I forgot about Chung. I'd lump him in with the others at #47. But 47 is also the spot where I see us most likely getting that OL help with either Woods or Unger. If not then hopefully Luigs at #58.

People mention linebacker, but they don't say which. IMHO, the Pats need another ILB more than an OLB. So I could see them going defense with their first 4 picks. But I also know they could use an upgrade at OG and another OT in the mix since Britt wasn't tendered, O'Callaghan is a concussion away from retiring, though I will say that LaVoir filled in admirably for Light at LT and Kaczur at RT.

If the Pats came out with Barwin, Delmas or Sean Smith, and an ILB in 3 of thier 1st 4 picks, I'd say that they made out like bandits.

I would agree before Vrabel's departure that ILB was the bigger need, but now I'd say they're about equal. However there's several prospects(Ayers, English & Sintim) that can potentially play both.

Last edited:

I agree more with your last sentence, but I think the lack of pass rush last year killed the pats more than secondary weakness and that the answer to that problem does not exist on the roster right now.....I personally feel a hell of alot better about the prospects of guyton playing next to mayo than woods or anyone else playing across from thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes