PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With Springs AND now Bodden day one need at CB/S far less

Status
Not open for further replies.
LB yes, but i think we still need a Safety

Yeah but I think this latest move puts Springs at safety. Still a guy like Delmas/Chung at pick #47 can be the future.

We are set for now, but can certainly be open to drafting a safety. As the OP indicated, the NEED is much, much less now.

CB Hobbs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite, Richardson
S Meriweather, Sanders, Springs, Spann

I wouldn't rule out a first day CB if the value's there. Wheatley and Wilhite are still unknown quantities, and Bodden's deal is for one year...and Springs almost certainly won't see his third year. We can postpone drafting a corner this year, and given the youth at the position on the team, we probably should, but if Jenkins falls to #23, or Al Smith falls to #58, I'd be OK with taking one.

We could get Smith in the second round and package Hobbs and a Pick for Peppers (if we want an OLB project that projects 3-5 years, as opposed to Taylor).

I wouldn't rule out a first day CB if the value's there. Wheatley and Wilhite are still unknown quantities, and Bodden's deal is for one year...and Springs almost certainly won't see his third year. We can postpone drafting a corner this year, and given the youth at the position on the team, we probably should, but if Jenkins falls to #23, or Al Smith falls to #58, I'd be OK with taking one.

Of course! But this gives us even more flexibility. If they're not there and we're unable to unload the draft picks for future picks we can just double up at LB. So instead of debating over Barwin or English we can have both! :D

You still have told us how you are going to afford Peppers.

We could get Smith in the second round and package Hobbs and a Pick for Peppers (if we want an OLB project that projects 3-5 years, as opposed to Taylor).

Allow me to once again beat the Knowshon Moreno drum...:eat2:

Wheatley and Wilhite are still unknown quantities

What? This is the first I heard of this, I thought W&W were lock hall of famers...

Back to the question, unless you like Vetrone and Spann as your backup Safeties I think Safety is still a need. Round 2 looks to provide plenty of options at Safety.

Although Safety and CB are now back in the pack with every other unit that can use more depth. The roster is really taking shape.

You still have told us how you are going to afford Peppers.

Julius Peppers, who has avoided being the highest paid D player in the NFL in order to get the crap out of Carolina and who wants o be a conversion project as a 3-4 OLB and who is only willing to consider 4 teams. That's the guy I'm talking about.

None of these things reflects a money-first guy.

Allow me to once again beat the Knowshon Moreno drum...:eat2:

I'm not TOTALLY against it, but he'd be like my 5th or 6th option. The shelf life is such that it's fiscally irresponsible to draft a RB in the 1st.

I wouldn't rule out a first day CB if the value's there. Wheatley and Wilhite are still unknown quantities,.

Yes, they are. But they're much more known qualities than any CB you'd draft outside the top 15 or so. You draft a CB in the 3rd round, theres a good chance he doesnt make it out of camp.

Julius Peppers, who has avoided being the highest paid D player in the NFL in order to get the crap out of Carolina and who wants o be a conversion project as a 3-4 OLB and who is only willing to consider 4 teams. That's the guy I'm talking about.

None of these things reflects a money-first guy.

Except for the fact that hes said that he wants to be a 3-4 OLB because he thinks they're going to make more money.

Hes a stupid money-first guy.

Except for the fact that hes said that he wants to be a 3-4 OLB because he thinks they're going to make more money.

Hes a stupid money-first guy.

And you know this, how?

I don't think we have the cap space or the desire to trade for him.

These are PROFESSIONAL football players. It's what they do to make their fortune, if they can. There is nothing stupid aout that.

If a team wants to strap itself againts the cap and give away draft picks, then that is their foolsih mistake. You can't blame Peppers or any other player for taking it. I don't think that the Patriots will do that.

And you know this, how?

I don't think we have the cap space or the desire to trade for him.

These are PROFESSIONAL football players. It's what they do to make their fortune, if they can. There is nothing stupid aout that.

If a team wants to strap itself againts the cap and give away draft picks, then that is their foolsih mistake. You can't blame Peppers or any other player for taking it. I don't think that the Patriots will do that.

The poster I was responding to gave several reasons that hes "not a money guy", the problem is, they all come back to him saying he wanted to be a 3-4 OLB to make more money. The problem is, with transitions and such, he probably wont be as good a player in the 3-4, and will most likely make less money.

Its like the Manny situation. Hes fighting because he thinks it will make him more money: it wont.

CB Hobbs, Bodden, Wheatley, Wilhite, Richardson
S Meriweather, Sanders, Springs, Spann
I wouldn't think of Springs as a Safety. With so many 3 WR sets these days teams are in nickel more than they aren't, we're going to have Hobbs, Bodden, Springs, Meriweather and Sanders on the field together an awful lot.

Wheatley and Wilhite will be the backups and will play when we need more than 3 CB on the field. They will also hopefully be ready for 2010 after which, for now, Hobbs and Bodden are FA and we don't know the structure of Springs' deal whether he's going to be around either.

I actually agree with you. However, if we didn't add anyone, I would expect Springs to be our backup safety. All of us expect the patriots to draft a safety by the end of the second round. So, in the end, it doesn't matter much. The rookie will be the #3 safety.

Also, it is just possible that Wheatley or Wilhite will have a good camp and preseason, earning reps.

I wouldn't think of Springs as a Safety. With so many 3 WR sets these days teams are in nickel more than they aren't, we're going to have Hobbs, Bodden, Springs, Meriweather and Sanders on the field together an awful lot.

Wheatley and Wilhite will be the backups and will play when we need more than 3 CB on the field. They will also hopefully be ready for 2010 after which, for now, Hobbs and Bodden are FA and we don't know the structure of Springs' deal whether he's going to be around either.

Correct. CB is no longer a high priority need. Certainly not in round 1. But maybe mid round 2 if a good one slides. After all Hobbs and Bodden are only on 1 year deals at this point. Connor Barwin... come on down to Foxboro!

Agreed. That's our essentially our starting 5 defensive backs right there. Any rookies we draft will have to play backup snaps. Right now safety looks like a bigger need than CB. And OLB/ILB bigger than either of those.

Last edited:
We can now focus our attention at LB early on.

I disagree. This does not change my opinion of CB still being the top need for the Patriots. The defense still needs a true number one shut-down corner. None of the guys currently on the roster, IMHO, fit that role.

I think this removes the need to reach for a CB, like an A. Smith, at 23, but it still is the number 1 need position as far as I am concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes