PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

With needs still lingering, hitting big in with picks in rounds 3-4 will be important.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
We will likely have a good four selections in rounds 3-4 this year with a 3rd round comp. pick likely coming our way soon. I think it's a big opportunity to really hit on some mid round gems this year. Over the last few years there have been hits (Ryan, Ridley) and many misses (Boyce Bequettte Price) So what do you guys think should be hit upon around these two rounds? I haven't really looked too deep into the prospects outside of the guys projected as round 1-2 guys, what positions are deep this year?

I think we go CB and then either OL/DL in the first two rounds so whichever of those we don't go with should probably be prioritised in round 3. I'd add RB/WR or second CB to the list as well. I also don't think we'll make all three of the picks at 96,97, 101.

I'd prefer we go DT in the third with Hardison, Grady Jarrett and Rakeem Nunez-Roches all being possibilities. Hardison and Jarrett will probably need to be traded up for.

We did pretty well last year with Bryan Stork and Cam Fleming in the 4th. James White hasn't panned out so far, but it's still early, and 2 out of 3 was fairly solid.

I'd like to a CB, RB, DL (Hardison) and OL (Marpet) with our first 4 picks. Another CB like Eric Rowe would be nice.

I don't play simulation games much, but I did one the other day and managed to get the equivalent of this out of First-Pick (with various trade backs, but they didn't include the comp pick, so I've "normalized" it):

41. Marcus Peters, CB, Washington. Byron Jones was also on the board.
64. Tevin Coleman, RB, Indiana. Jay Ajayi and David Johnson were also on the board.
72. Ali Marpet, OL, Hobart (from the trade back).
96. Cedric Ogbuehi, OL, Texas A&M. Donovan Smith was also on the board.
97. Marcus Hardison, DL, Arizona St.
102. Eric Rowe, CB, Utah (from a trade back - could fit with our comp pick).
130. Leterius Walton, DT, Cenral Michigan.

That would make 7 picks through 4 rounds, with double dips at DT, OL and CB plus a a 3-down RB. Add DeAndre Smelter and Max Valles and my draft would be complete.

Well no ****, is there a time when you don't want to get the best player you can?

Absolutely and this is a good draft to do it. I think this is a draft that truly goes 4 rounds deep so it is very possible.

Just saying that it's more imperative this year than other years.
How? Obviously they want to find a pair of guys who can compete to be the starting CB and LG, but other than that where is this absolute need to hit big on a player?

How? Obviously they want to find a pair of guys who can compete to be the starting CB and LG, but other than that where is this absolute need to hit big on a player?
Well you just named them. Defensive Tackle in my opinion needs another guy brought in as well. I think running back is also another thing to hit in the mid rounds.

Well you just named them. Defensive Tackle in my opinion needs another guy brought in as well. I think running back is also another thing to hit in the mid rounds.
Last year we had a huge need at Guard, DT and Center so I dont see how this year is differen, in terms of wanting to get good players in the mid rounds

Logan Ryan a hit? He may turn into a good nickelback, but he will never be able to cover tall athletic WRs on the outside.

If the team gets to 32 and there's only 1 or 2 CBs they really like left, do you think it would be better to make the pick or still try a trade back? Seems like this is a good year to trade back.

If the team gets to 32 and there's only 1 or 2 CBs they really like left, do you think it would be better to make the pick or still try a trade back? Seems like this is a good year to trade back.

Take the pick. They need the #1 CB more than they need extra draft picks.

Totally agree. A couple of our other needs interior ol and rb are positions which can often be filled in the 3rd or 4th round. Where we should be ready to pounce this year.

In that scenario, I agree. However, if multiple top prospects are left on the board then a trade back makes sense.

Charlie Campbell has a new 5 round mock up today on Walter Football:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2015charlie.php

He has the Pats taking CB Kevin Johnson at 32. Not a bad pick. The problem is, there are a ton of good CBs still on the board:

- Ronald Darby goes at #33
- Marcus Peters goes at #46
- PJ Williams goes at #47
- Alex Carter goes at $56
- Byron Jones goes at #57

There are also some excellent OLs still on the board, including TJ Clemmings (#45) and Jake Fisher (#52). A trade back in this kind of situation makes more sense, along with a possible trade up from 64.

In that scenario, I agree. However, if multiple top prospects are left on the board then a trade back makes sense.

Charlie Campbell has a new 5 round mock up today on Walter Football:

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2015charlie.php

He has the Pats taking CB Kevin Johnson at 32. Not a bad pick. The problem is, there are a ton of good CBs still on the board:

- Ronald Darby goes at #33
- Marcus Peters goes at #46
- PJ Williams goes at #47
- Alex Carter goes at $56
- Byron Jones goes at #57

There are also some excellent OLs still on the board, including TJ Clemmings (#45) and Jake Fisher (#52). A trade back in this kind of situation makes more sense, along with a possible trade up from 64.

It's easy to project a trade up after a draft. It's a lot harder when you don't know where the next level of prospects come off the board. In our mock, Clemmings and Fisher went early 2nd. Not a sure thing they are there past 40. If you like the guy pick him. If you like a guy who isn't widely regarded. Trade back. Trading out hurt us in 09, helped us in 2013.

It's easy to project a trade up after a draft. It's a lot harder when you don't know where the next level of prospects come off the board. In our mock, Clemmings and Fisher went early 2nd. Not a sure thing they are there past 40. If you like the guy pick him. If you like a guy who isn't widely regarded. Trade back. Trading out hurt us in 09, helped us in 2013.

There's never a sure thing when you trade back. But if there are multiple guys that you like, then the odds are improved.

Trading back in 2009 got us Gronk. It worked out fine.

Well, with picks 96, 97, 100, and 131, they've got four potential chances at "hitting" in the 3rd and 4th.

Logan Ryan a hit? He may turn into a good nickelback, but he will never be able to cover tall athletic WRs on the outside.
77 tackles in 13 starts with 16 pass def 7 INT's two FF's and a TD from a late 3rd round pick that's a hit in my book. is he a star no but I have seen first round CB's not give there team with Ryan has gave the pats in his first two seasons

Ryan a nickel back? He is such a good nickel back that Belichick felt the need to sign a backup to Arrington in McClain.

Just saying that it's more imperative this year than other years.

I disagree. I think that it was critical to our 2014 success to have a hit at OG in the 4th. I don't think that it is any more critical in 2015 when we have 4 picks in the 3rd and 4th (after choosing our 1st and 2nd rounders).

Presumably, we will make two choices in the first 60 or so picks (perhaps with some moving around), filling two of CB, OG, DT and RB. We will then have three picks to meet other needs or double dip. I know that there is an additional pick that would be available to trade with.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back