PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winovich on the Trade Block?

That’s where I saw him in his rookie season when we drafted him. 3-tech sub-rusher in obvious passing situations. I suspect he will anchor better against the run as his career progresses.

I think we're all hoping the floor for him this year is Adam Butler's role from last year (with the hope that he is more by year's end).

I would rather he stay as I think he has some good athleticism and has shown he can rush the passer. That being said he doesn't seem like a great scheme fit for us as we are not one of those teams that will just let a guy pin his ears back and rush the passer. Basically he might be a poor man's Chandler Jones. Jones wasn't great at setting the edge and occasionally dropping back but I would think he was better than Chase is at it since Winovich doesn't see anywhere near the playing time Jones had. He is cheap and a good option as a third down pass rusher so I can't see Bill giving him away for almost nothing. I would guess if another team has a corner or receiver that would make sense Bill may pull the trigger but with Uche banged up I don't know why we would shove Chase out the door for a late round pick.

So far in the preseason, Pats are giving up 4.08 yards per rush. Last year was 4.53. So it's weird to me that people would try to make a snap judgment on whether or not the run defense is improved, but double weird that they make the snap judgment in the wrong direction.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying the run defense is definitely improved based on preseason averages. Just that we've seen nothing to indicate it hasn't been either.

Then nothing has changed.

Then nothing has changed.

Just because you can't see change yet, doesn't mean change hasn't occurred. It's preseason.

That’s where I saw him in his rookie season when we drafted him. 3-tech sub-rusher in obvious passing situations. I suspect he will anchor better against the run as his career progresses.
I could see him playing I’m not so obvious pass situations also.
But those DTs are so important to run D out of nickel.

So far in the preseason, Pats are giving up 4.08 yards per rush. Last year was 4.53. So it's weird to me that people would try to make a snap judgment on whether or not the run defense is improved, but double weird that they make the snap judgment in the wrong direction.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying the run defense is definitely improved based on preseason averages. Just that we've seen nothing to indicate it hasn't been either.
Well it’s pretty obvious that the personnel we have this year that we didn’t have last year are better run defenders.

Wino is a one trick pony...but that one trick is really important and can see him sticking around for 3rd downs at the very least

Agree. Maybe a lot better when there is Barmore inside.
I remember really being excited thinking Michael Bennett was going to wreak havoc on the inside in 19. Didn’t quite workout.

Wino is a one trick pony...but that one trick is really important and can see him sticking around for 3rd downs at the very least
Agreed. Not a guy we give a contract, but definitely has value while he’s on a cheap deal.

Another thing to consider with Chase, is that he played 46% of the teams ST snaps last year on top of playing 58% of the defensive snaps. Bill's tolerance for guys that have specialty roles goes way up when they're contributing regularly on ST.

EDIT: For context, the only players who played more ST snaps last year were Slater, Bethel, Cody Davis, and Bailey (all ST only players).

Last edited:
Wino is a one trick pony...but that one trick is fundamental, and can see him sticking around for 3rd downs at the very least

This is exactly where I am at, except if BB wants him gone, then he is gone regardless of what we think.

If he is willing to be a situational pass rusher and special teamer, I think the Pats should keep him unless they can get real value for him.

Our pass rush has been kicking ass all summer. Just like with Sony I want each group to be as strong as possible. We have speed, speed and more speed with all these tweeners or "multiplayers". Hopefully him and Bill are on solid ground bc this group is right up his alley.

I’d like to keep him because pass rush is important these days.
He isn’t much of a run stopper or edge setter but can definitely get after the QB.
With that said if we get good draft pick value then I wouldn’t be opposed.

Winovich is a 3rd down rusher ala Tully Banta-Cain where he’ll be fresh and more effective. He proved last year he can’t be a full time player.

I remember when we drafted him everyone said they loved the guy's motor. And his high energy. And after the rookie season, where he showed a lot of hustle and situational rushing, we were all high-fiving and saying we got a steal. What happened? How come he never managed to take the next step?

I remember when we drafted him everyone said they loved the guy's motor. And his high energy. And after the rookie season, where he showed a lot of hustle and situational rushing, we were all high-fiving and saying we got a steal. What happened? How come he never managed to take the next step?
His edge became a ski jump.

I think winovich’s game is perfect for a team like Seattle!

I think winovich’s game is perfect for a team like Seattle!
It will cost them Metcalf it’s so painful to think we could of reloaded and had 2 to 3 stud wrs in that draft. Then of course we wouldn’t of sucked bad enough for Jones.
Eh it’s all about balance.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back