PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Winovich on the Trade Block?

He can rush the passer I say keep him, let him go to work on 3rd downs obvious passing downs.

I'd like to see the Patriots keep him and find a consistent role for him. But he seems to be the "free-spirit" type -- both on-field and off -- that doesn't last long in New England.

If BB is sick of him and can net a 3rd rounder , he’s a goner. I’m sure plenty teams are interested but may not be willing to pay the price. We shall soon see. It’ll be done one way or another in a week.

I hope not.

He can rush the passer consistently that has worth.

I mean, we have a lot of good competition for snaps on the edge. But let's consider some of those on an individual basis:

Judon is a lock for a big role. High priced free agent who's done nothing to change that value thus far.

Van Noy is the other presumptive "starter" on the edge, but he's over 30 and may not be a guy you throw out there for 80% anymore.

Uche looks good, but has been nicked up thus far and still needs to prove consistent value in real games.

Jennings hasn't shown any more in camp this year than he did in the season last year.

Perkins is a rookie.

Anderson and Wise play a much different role. If they're getting snaps, it's because the matchup wouldn't call for a player like Winovich anyway.

So while I like this group and think it has the potential to be really good, I wouldn't say that Winovich has an impossible climb for snaps if he sticks around.

Every year at this time there are threads and comments about trading this guy or that guy. It rarely happens.

Hell yeah. Let’s trade one of our better chess pieces when it comes to rush packages. Who needs ‘em. I’d rather keep guys like Jennings around to keep the bench warm.

Didn't he get more than his fair share of hurries last year? Not many sacks, but consistent pressure, which helps the defense look good and the opposing offense look not-good.

Besides, what I've seen when I watch Winovich is a very opportunistic player who's willing to contribute in a number of areas. Not keen on losing that.

Depends on his value to other teams. A 4th round pick is probably where I wouldn't be sure what call to make, with any better offers being an automatic take and any worse offers being an automatic leave.

He might not be a complete player, but he can contribute as a member of a rotation. He's probably closest to Uche in his role, and Uche seems to get hurt a lot.

Didn't he get more than his fair share of hurries last year? Not many sacks, but consistent pressure, which helps the defense look good and the opposing offense look not-good.

Besides, what I've seen when I watch Winovich is a very opportunistic player who's willing to contribute in a number of areas. Not keen on losing that.
He led the team in sacks, QB hits and was # 2 in tackles for loss.

The only way I trade is for a good WR. Not another Dorsett or 5hitbum like that.

Adam Schefter

@AdamSchefter

·
3h

After losing Carl Lawson to a season-ending torn Achilles, the Jets now are looking for ways to acquire a pass rusher to help fill the void, per sources. A trade before the season is being explored.

Depends on his value to other teams. A 4th round pick is probably where I wouldn't be sure what call to make, with any better offers being an automatic take and any worse offers being an automatic leave.

He might not be a complete player, but he can contribute as a member of a rotation. He's probably closest to Uche in his role, and Uche seems to get hurt a lot.
LB/EDGE
Hightower, Bentley, Judon, Van Noy, Uche, Perkins

DL
Wise, Guy, Godchaux, Anderson, Barmore

I have us with two more roster spots in the Front Six. I could see Belichick wanting someone other than Jennings and Winovich.

Options include Adams, Davis, Spence and Cowart.

Winovich is a fire hydrant against the run. But pass rushers on the other hand have huge value in today’s nfl!

I would move winovich for a good cornerback immediately!

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Back