Green Bay takes C Peter Konz

2.44 DT Brandon Thompson, Clemson
2.48 CB Casey Heyward, Vanderbilt
2.63 S George Iloka, Boise State

3.75 WR Marvin McNutt, Iowa
3.94 DE Jonathan Massaquoi, Troy

4.126 OLB Nigel Bradham, FSU

7.202 C William Vlachos, Alabama

And now, that trade from Green Bay. You'll notice that I didn't list any additional picks for that trade.

That's because there aren't any.

Yes, the Pats don't get anything in 2012.

This "Patriots Featured Columnist" has the Pats trading 1.31 for Green Bay's 2013 1. Straight up. :bricks:

Last edited:
Aside from Casey Heyward, I 'm not a fan of a single pick there. Not sure what your problem with the trade from a Patriots perspective is, the value's about right isn't it (I value a next year pick as the price of the last pick of said round).

Considering whta the Redskins just traded for thier QB, a few later round picks is an epic fail. The Saints trade last year was for #27, their second rounder and the first the next year, that would be the lowest price the Pats would do to trade out of the first round.

Yuck. I could actually see the Pats trading out of the first twice very easily. But that is shocking value for picks. They;re going to want something for next year...probably another second and no less than a third rounder...if they let a team jump up in to day one!!

For a writer with so very much to say (what was that, about 6,000 words on just the first round of his mock draft and 15,000 words total?), his analysis is woefully superficial ('the Pats will trade down because they like to trade down').

As pointed out in previous comments, the concept of trading down is not the downfall of the column; it is as if he put in next to no thought for what would be a good, or even fair trade value (specifically the Packers trade). He also he failed to make any genuine analysis of why the Pats would trade down at either of those points.

Teams don't trade down just because they have done it in the past; they trade down because of some combination of (a) getting better value with the additional picks, (b) thinking the player(s) they are targeting will still be available when they pick later, and (c) the players available at that point are not worth that specific pick (poor value for that spot).

If he had said something along the lines of 'this is who is available here, and this is why the Pats won't want to draft him - and therefore they will look to trade down', then the analysis has some merit. I want to see him explain why the trade with the Chiefs makes sense from the Pats perspective than drafting Whitney Mercilus does. I want to see him explain why the the trade with the Packers makes more sense from the Pats perspective than drafting Michael Brockers, Peter Konz or a wide receiver does. Instead all he offers is a clichéd 'because they always do'.

The logic in his rationale is severely lacking - especially for somebody who has so very much to say.

Aside from Casey Heyward, I 'm not a fan of a single pick there. Not sure what your problem with the trade from a Patriots perspective is, the value's about right isn't it (I value a next year pick as the price of the last pick of said round).

If your bank told you, "We'd like to borrow $1,000 from you today and give you $1,000 back next year," would you do it?

Calling this an epic fail not for selections as i hardly looked at them... but for trade value. Last year we traded 28 for 2011 2nd and 2012 1st.

This year he has us making 2 trades very similar to this but taking no value in return or even less value than last year. Don't need to tell anyone it's a fail but we all know it is.

If your bank told you, "We'd like to borrow $1,000 from you today and give you $1,000 back next year," would you do it?

Yup that's fair enough. In my defense, I'd been up all night at work and had just got home.

The only pick I like there is Jonathan Massaqoui in the 3rd round and I guess Brandon Thompson in the 2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes