• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm really torn on this one, Pat Kirwan's latest mock (three rounder), from NFL.com:

22. Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

Bill Belichick always has to have the kind of receivers Tom Brady needs to pick apart opponents. Randy Moss thinks this is his last year in New England and Wes Welker is coming off a season-ending injury. Bryant has excellent receiving skills, is not afraid to go over the middle and could be a 50-reception guy as a rookie.

44. Jerry Hughes, LB, TCU

This is the first of three picks in the second round for the Patriots, who need pass rush help. Hughes is the "joker" type Belichick loves, having played defensive end at TCU but also possessing the skill set to play linebacker.

47. Tim Tebow, QB, Florida

Tebow to the Patriots? Why not? Tebow can sit behind Brady and learn like Matt Cassel did before he stepped on the field and won 10* games as New England's starter. Belichick will find creative things for him to do as the process moves along.

53. Austen Lane, DE, Murray State

Never heard of Lane? He came to the Senior Bowl and quickly demonstrated his pass-rush skills. At 6-foot-5 and 276 pounds with long arms, Lane has the traits of a 3-4 defensive end and he played outside linebacker in college as well. When I interviewed Lane, I felt like I was talking with Jared Allen.

*Note: as the starter. For some reason they don't count the KC game.

Last edited:
Bryant is a huge risk, but he tore it up on the college field.

Hughes is a good pick, although I'm worried he may be too small for OLB.

I'd take Best over Tebow.

Lane is too light as I'd take Alualu over him.

Bryant is a huge risk, but he tore it up on the college field.

Hughes is a good pick, although I'm worried he may be too small for OLB.

I'd take Best over Tebow.

Lane is too light as I'd take Alualu over him.

The Tebow pick is why I voted Meh. Like you, I would have taken Best or Dwyer or especially Kareem Jackson.

Not bad. I love the Hughes/Lane combo, and if I could really be sure of landing Hughes at #44 I'd be willing to roll the dice on Bryant in the 1st. But when you look at the other talent available at #47 -- Kareem Jackson, Alualu, Veldheer, Best, Hardesty -- it's mighty hard to make the case for Tebow there. It smacks of reading too many headlines.

Last edited:
On second thought, I would have given it a win.

Because of the depth of this draft, I think we're taking for granted how easy it will be to land a top WR and LB. So if we get Dez Bryant and then land a talent like Hughes at #44, I'll be happy.

i don't like the tebow, pick cause brady, if he wants could play 4 more years useing him at FB/TE is not a good idea he has had at lest one concussion. that we know of. i don't want no part of tebow,

Replace Tebow with a WR or a RB and I am fully on board. I like listening to Kirwin on Sirius Radio, he seems like a very reasonable man.....

I voted Meh due to the Tebow miss......................

You left out the option that best describes this scenario...EPIC FAIL. To waste a pick on Tebow who if he ever makes it as a QB will take at least as long as Brady has left to...and to add the anthesis WR for his system, would just boggle the mind.

other than the Tebow pick that's a heck of a draft so far

I gotta say, I wouldn't mind this draft. Bryant could be a stud, and we're gonna need one sooner rather than later. And I'm a big Austen Lane fan, as a strongside outside backer though. Not a huge Hughes fan, and I really don't want Tebow. But, Hughes could be okay as a weakside guy, and Tebow is a special guy to get in the second, I just would never take a guy you expect to have on your bench for four years in the second round, pretty much a wasted pick. I'd rather have Tyson Alualu than either Tebow or Hughes. Hey, if you swap out Tebow for Alualu this isn't too shabby:
1Bryant
2Hughes
3Alualu
4Lane
de-Warren
dt-Wilfork
de-Alualu/Wright
olb-TBC/Hughes
olb-Lane
ilb-Mayo, McKenzie/Guyton
front seven would be looking a lot better

wr-Moss, Bryant, (Welker), Edelman, Tate, Patten (no way he makes this team lol)
nice!

Last edited:
i am hoping for a cody, hughes combo. but if bryant is there at 22 with no trade up, that's hard to pass on and as much as i love tebow's character(he's the anti-roethlisberger) he'd be more of an asset than a qb.

man, i would love to have some input.

I voted WIN. I'd be very happy with Bryant, Hughes and Lane. That's 3 out of 4 hits for me.

Then you add in Tebow. Great character, don't know where he'll play, but I know Bill will have a plan for him.

I voted fail. I like 3 of the 4 players, but taking Tebow is unacceptable. This team has too many needs to take Tim Tebow even ignoring the fact that I don't think he will be an effective NFL player. Austen Lane is intriguing, but also seems like too big a reach at 53.

Enough with this Tebow to the Pats hogwash! Brady will still be starting when Tebow's rookie deal runs out. Then what, franchise him and trade him for a 2nd like Cassel? Major fail.

Ctpatsfan, this draft is possibly the best I could ask for on draft day BESIDES Tebow!

Replace Tebow with Gerhart, and boom!

OLB: check
Wr/top 10 talent: check
DE: check
That "what the Fck!?" pick the patriots make every year: check

That's a win for me!

replace Bryant with Demryius Thomas and it would sound more realistic. I think Denver is taking Dez Bryant to replace Brandon Marshall.

Last edited:
If Bryant doesn't land in Denver the word out is that the Bengals will add Bryant to thier roster - 2 guys with Bryant as thier last name could be WRs for the Bengals when Thursday is over

I think I can live with the first two but Tebow is a wasted pick. Austen Lane Would have to gain 20lbs or be nothing more than a situational guy like Jarvis Green was. Maybe he can lose 10 or 15lbs and gain back enough agility to play SOLB. Corey Wootton is a better option for either position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents