• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't normally do these, on the grounds that it's like the kiss of death to express interest in a player. :) :(

On the flip side, I'm also going to assume no trades, which makes this completely unrealistic, and therefore makes it more likely that I don't arouse the ire of the Hooded One. :)

1. Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas
There are other players I'd prefer here (e.g., Brandon Graham), but Kindle seems closer to BB's mythical prototype.

2a. Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama
I'm not at all sure that I want to see the Pats draft Cody, but I could see it happening, especially if he drops into the second round, as Darius Butler did just last year. . . .

2b. Rob Gronkowski, TE, Arizona
Watson is likely gone, and a team needs more than one TE.

2c. Toby Gerhart, RB, Stanford
The downside for Gerhart is Heath Evans (who was a third-round pick, BTW).

4. Riley Cooper, WR, Florida
I'd prefer Decker, but I don't think he'll last to the fourth round. Cooper should be able to fill a Gaffney-like role (which is what the Pats need most right now).

In the past, barring truly bizarre circumstances, every player drafted in or before the fourth round has made the roster. The same cannot be said for the later picks. I don't expect a situation like this year where EVERY draft pick remains on the payroll, but I could see at least half these players sticking.

6. Tim Hiller, QB, WMU
I'd love to see the Patriots restock the developmental QB pipeline. If Hiller's gone I'd take the best available QB that could fit the system.

7a. Marcus Easley, WR, UConn
By the time the Pats get this far, they're willing to just swing for the fences. Easley could be just that kind of pick.

7b. Chris Marinelli, OT, Stanford
Why not take a chance on the tackle who helped open up all those holes for Gerhart? Fits the mammoth mold the Pats have adopted as of late (6'7", 300#).

7comp1. Mike Brandtner, P, Iowa State
I don't actually expect him to unseat Chris Hanson, but competition would be nice.

7comp2. O'Brien Schofield, OLB, Wisconsin
With the Pats having so many late draft picks, they might as well use
one or two of them on players they can "stash" for a year.

I expect the Pats will have two more picks, which they'd probably spend on backup depth/ST types.

I'll note that I realized as I was going through this that I didn't have the Pats taking any OGs. I then realized that they might not, since they just drafted two this past year (Ohrnberger and Bussey), or depending on how things turn out, they might be able to push Kaczur inside.

I was thinking the same thing about drafting Scholfield, the Pats are gonna have at the very least 5 picks and maybe even 6 at the end of the 7th round. Why not use one or two of them on injuried players.

I'd prefer Decker, but I don't think he'll last to the fourth round. Cooper should be able to fill a Gaffney-like role (which is what the Pats need most right now).

I'd go with Micah Johnson for the 4th round pick if he's still on the board.

Anything after the 4th round is too deep for me.

On top of that BB always does something off the walls and throws a big wrinkle in the draft. Hell I could see him trading big Vince to TB for their 1st then trading back a few spots for Rolando McClain a 3rd or a 4th next year. Unlikely but I could see something like that happening.

You were doing good until you reached on Gerhart...none the less I give it a win.

Last edited:
I don't normally do these, on the grounds that it's like the kiss of death to express interest in a player. :) :(

On the flip side, I'm also going to assume no trades, which makes this completely unrealistic, and therefore makes it more likely that I don't arouse the ire of the Hooded One. :)

There are other players I'd prefer here (e.g., Brandon Graham), but Kindle seems closer to BB's mythical prototype.

I'm not at all sure that I want to see the Pats draft Cody, but I could see it happening, especially if he drops into the second round, as Darius Butler did just last year. . . .

In the past, barring truly bizarre circumstances, every player drafted in or before the fourth round has made the roster. The same cannot be said for the later picks. I don't expect a situation like this year where EVERY draft pick remains on the payroll, but I could see at least half these players sticking.

6. Tim Hiller, QB, WMU
I'd love to see the Patriots restock the developmental QB pipeline. If Hiller's gone I'd take the best available QB that could fit the system.

7a. Marcus Easley, WR, UConn
By the time the Pats get this far, they're willing to just swing for the fences. Easley could be just that kind of pick.

7b. Chris Marinelli, OT, Stanford
Why not take a chance on the tackle who helped open up all those holes for Gerhart? Fits the mammoth mold the Pats have adopted as of late (6'7", 300#).

7comp1. Mike Brandtner, P, Iowa State
I don't actually expect him to unseat Chris Hanson, but competition would be nice.

7comp2. O'Brien Schofield, OLB, Wisconsin
With the Pats having so many late draft picks, they might as well use
one or two of them on players they can "stash" for a year.

I expect the Pats will have two more picks, which they'd probably spend on backup depth/ST types.

I'll note that I realized as I was going through this that I didn't have the Pats taking any OGs. I then realized that they might not, since they just drafted two this past year (Ohrnberger and Bussey), or depending on how things turn out, they might be able to push Kaczur inside.

1. Kindle - I'm thinking the odds are 5 to 4 (or better) in favor of BB breaking some stereotypes this draft, so Graham seems more likely to me.

2a. Cody - Even without BB breaking stereotypes and even if Wilfork is gone, I think he'd pass on Cody for fear the Mount would eat the entire practice squad. He just seems risky to me at this point. Let Mangini have him.

2b. Gronkowski - Depends entirely on how the 2010 offense is going to use TEs. If the scheme remains the same as 2007-09, there's probably no point in drafting a TE before the 4th round.

2c. Gerhart - Interesting point you mention about Heath Evans, though it was Seattle that drafted him in the 3rd round in 2001, not BB. I really like Gerhart and believe he'd be a solid upgrade to the backfield. But he won't be a feature back and the second round is just to high for what he'd provide in the Pats' RBBC. If we had a 3rd rounder and he was still on the board, I might jump.

3. I really, really wish we had one. Or two. Feels like the second AND third are going to be the sweet spot in this class.

4. Cooper - I'd take the reliable Blair White over the inconsistent Cooper. And White was a teammate of Hoyer. But, yeah, a WR in the 4th is good. Or a TE like Quarless.

6. Hiller - I wouldn't take a QB here unless it was a guy I just couldn't pass up. Hiller isn't that guy for me. Anyway, there should be a few WRs, TEs, LBs, DEs - maybe even a Safety or an RB - with some potential still available from this point on. I'd fill with some of those over a QB. But, yeah, a punter to challenge Hanson is probably a good idea.

No quarrels here; I also like Graham, btw.

Cody could be great but he could be a bust if he continues to eat himself out of the NFL. 2 down player but effective if they are runs. Rather have Wilfork back and draft Gilyard, WR, Damian Williams, WR , Brandon Graham, OLB or Brandon Spikes, ILB or Carlos Dunlap.

Good value if he is still on the board. Other possibilities...Aaron Hernandez, TE or Demaryius Thomas, WR or Carlos Dunlap, DE.

I have no use for Gerhart in this offense, but I would like to see Benn, WR, Carlos Dunlap, DE or Jason Worilds, DE

I liked Decker but his lisfranc foot fracture could be serious and even career-threatening. Roger Saffold, OT, and Tony Moeaki, TE, Ben Tate, RB or Joique Bell, RB could work here. Or if they slip, Brandon Lang, DE, Alex Carrington, DE or Desmond Briscoe, WR.

You put a lot of work into this, so kudos to you. But so much depends on FA wheelings and dealings as well as combine results. I went heavy on WR's as you may have noted because I, like BoxO'Rocks, firmly believe Brady needs more weapons. I realize the other needs and through FA and the draft, I think they can be filled.

Good Job! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey