PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will the second round yield the Patriots next top WR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's essentially what you'll get in McCluster IMO at a lesser cost.

Except that Spiller runs a lot faster than McCluster, and Spiller is a 200 lb RB as opposed to McCluster who is 170 dripping wet and also runs a 4.58 40 vs Spillers 4.37. They're not even close. Spiller is better hands down. If Spiller lasts till 22 and Odrick is gone, I'd probably go with Spiller unless a stud defensive guy like Morgan slips to that spot. Spiller at 22 is a pipe dream though imo. For RB I'd look at Best in the 2nd or Tate in the late 2nd/early 3rd. Matthews is nice but not worth 22 and won't last till round 2.

Last edited:
Except that Spiller runs a lot faster than McCluster, and Spiller is a 200 lb RB as opposed to McCluster who is 170 dripping wet and also runs a 4.58 40 vs Spillers 4.37. They're not even close. Spiller is better hands down. If Spiller lasts till 22 and Odrick is gone, I'd probably go with Spiller unless a stud defensive guy like Morgan slips to that spot. Spiller at 22 is a pipe dream though imo. For RB I'd look at Best in the 2nd or Tate in the late 2nd/early 3rd. Matthews is nice but not worth 22 and won't last till round 2.

Good breakdown. Spiller hands down

Mathews is well worth 22. Believe it or not there are teams (such as the Texans) who feel he is the most complete back. The closest thing to a 3 down back in this draft.

To be clear, none of the following are on your first round board:
WR Bryant
WR Tate
RB Matthews

I welll understand the preference fo a top defensive front seven player, but it not celar to me that one will be available that is so much higher in value to justify a pick instead of waiting until our three 2nd rounders.

And yes, I am fine with trading the pick to move down, but we may, or may not ahve that choice.

QUOTE=patchick;1757105]He's probably the one offensive skill player I'd consider in the 1st.[/QUOTE]

I definitely see this as a more balanced draft for the pats, not heavy on either side of the ball. First four picks, 2 on offense 2 on defense

Ill go with Odrick at 22, and Carlos Dunlap, Andre Roberts, and Ben Tate with our 2nd rounders. Throw in a Jimmy Graham at TE in round 4 and id say we had a pretty good haul in this draft

Now that Faulk has signed all our RBs are back from last year. With 2 pro bowlers and 2 rookies and a ST ace I see the only hole at WR being depth if Welker cant come back on time or if someone else gets injured. I think we have to give Tate a chance, and bringing a vet in on a 1yr deal would be the best idea. If Welker makes it back we can cut him, and there arent many potential #1s out there to take over for Randy if(and I dont think he will)he retires after '10. I think this spot may well be open right up until camp opens, I doubt they try their luck again especially in the 2nd....

Ill go with Odrick at 22, and Carlos Dunlap, Andre Roberts, and Ben Tate with our 2nd rounders. Throw in a Jimmy Graham at TE in round 4 and id say we had a pretty good haul in this draft

I think the consensus is that Odrick is the pick, if available, in the first round. Where it's becomes interesting is deciding on the picks in the second round. I don't see Carlos Dunlap lasting that low in the second round.

#22 - Jared Odrick
#44 - Jerry Hughes
#47 - Montario Hardesty
#53 - Carlton Mitchell
#116 - Javier Arenas

Last edited:
the receiver i want in this draft is arreliouse benn

He doesn;t meet the BB "3 downs" requirement in order to be a 1st rounder, which is why I think BB passes on him, but he brings a ton of playmaking ability to the table.

Perhaps not, but he's a good enough returner to make the team on STs alone. Combine that with 12-15 offensive touches a game, and I can see why he could be worth a first rounder. Hell, Bethel and Devin Hester were 2nd round picks, and Spiller contributes much more to the offense. I would love to have him in the two minute drill.

I think that yes, by the end of round two we absolutely, positively must have a WR. I think Benn is the best in the class, but I'm really feeling Taylor Price at 53.

I think the consensus is that Odrick is the pick, if available, in the first round. Where it's becomes interesting is deciding on the picks in the second round. I don't see Carlos Dunlap lasting that low in the second round.

#22 - Jared Odrick
#44 - Jerry Hughes
#47 - Montario Hardesty
#53 - Carlton Mitchell
#116 - Javier Arenas

My lord, I'm so on board with this draft. I'd prefer Ben Tate at #47, but ever so slightly. Hardesty is a freakin' beast, and while he doesn't look as fast or fluid on the field as he did at the Combine, just knowing he has that speed and shiftiness in him comforts me.

I'd also swap out Mitchell for Taylor Price. I'd also try to move up slightly in the 2nd to make sure I got Hughes.

Of course, as much as I like this, I'd rather trade up (for Morgan) or down from #22 for a pick from 31-42 and a third rounder. Take Hughes first, and pick up Jones, Deaderick, or Geathers later.

#22 - Jared Odrick
#44 - Jerry Hughes
#47 - Montario Hardesty
#53 - Carlton Mitchell
#116 - Javier Arenas

I'm on board. I'd just take Dennis Pitta over Arenas.

The closest thing to a 3 down back in this draft.

I question that. He was rarely used as a receiver at Fresno State and he is not known as a good receiver. His pass protection is also said to be really poor. One draftnik compared him with Laurence Maroney. Would you go that road again?

I question that. He was rarely used as a receiver at Fresno State and he is not known as a good receiver. His pass protection is also said to be really poor. One draftnik compared him with Laurence Maroney. Would you go that road again?

You might want to check out the scouting report on cbssports.com. Because they dispute everything you just said. He is known as a great pass blocker, and is always hitting guys downfield. And as far as Maroney goes that's the worst comparison you could make. The guy is known for his get it and go running style, there is no wasted motion. That is not the same style as twinkle toes Maroney.

We continue to mention all these big name WR's that we want, but by all appearances as of now it appears the one that the Pats are most interested in is Gilyard, they've already met with him twice. How would everyone feel about his selection in the 2nd?

We continue to mention all these big name WR's that we want, but by all appearances as of now it appears the one that the Pats are most interested in is Gilyard, they've already met with him twice. How would everyone feel about his selection in the 2nd?

What makes you say they are MOST interested in Gilyard? The Pats interview and work out lots of players every year. Got a link to substantiate your claim?

Last edited:
What makes you say they are MOST interested in Gilyard? The Pats interview and work out lots of players every year. Got a link to substantiate your claim?

No, I can't find the link right now, but I did come across it on Friday. It made a fairly big deal of how the Pats have already interviewed him twice. Once at the senior bowl, and one more recently. I'll continue to search for it, and post it if I come up with it.

I'm on board. I'd just take Dennis Pitta over Arenas.

I'm not that high on Arenas, it's more to do with his potential on special teams. But, if Brandon Tate can be "that guy," then I would become less interested in having Arenas.

I don't know anything about Dennis Pitta, but it doesn't have to be Arenas. But I do believe that New England will draft a corner back at some point. And a tight end as well.

These are some interesting comments. Of the tight ends, I'm more intrigued by Gronkowski. But I read one place that his back is still an issue. I don't know, but I think he's a possible steal candidate in the second round.

Picking the right wide receiver is more challenging. Personally, I would be wary of USC wide receiver, Damian Williams. Belichick and company really must think this choice through. Whoever he turns out to be...

"Tight end and wide receiver are two spots I think you can get really, really good value in the second round, where (the Patriots are) sitting," McShay said. "Maybe it's an (Illinois WR) Arrelious Benn with one of their earlier picks, at wide receiver."

"At tight end, I think you can cash in, even late in the second round," McShay said. "Rob Gronkowski (pictured) from Arizona would be a good pick. He's had some injuries and would be a first-round pick if it were not for those injuries. He's a tough blocker and really catches the ball well. I would say he’s an underrated athlete. Dennis Pitta from BYU, he doesn't have great size — 6-4, 245 — but he's one of the most instinctive route-runners and pass catchers I've seen at tight end in years in the draft. And even Aaron Hernandez, who I know (Bill) Belichick and some of those guys (worked) out (yesterday) down in Florida. Hernandez ran a 4.61 in the 40, which is one of the fastest times, and might be the fastest time of any of the first three rounds of tight ends."

"Then you get into the third round and Ed ****son from Oregon, Dorin ****erson from Pittsburgh. It’s a deep group of tight ends. I think you don't reach for Jermaine Gresham (of Oklahoma) in the first round and you let the right fit fall to you somewhere with those three picks in the second round."

BostonHerald.com - Blogs: Rap Sheet Blog Archive Daily NFL Draft tidbit: Does April 23 hold the answer to the Patriots question at tight end?

These are some interesting comments. Of the tight ends, I'm more intrigued by Gronkowski. But I read one place that his back is still an issue. I don't know, but I think he's a possible steal candidate in the second round.
[/url]

Gronkowksi might be a possibility in round 2, but only if his health checks out. I'd hate to spend a high pick and get a guy who was plagued by back problems the rest of his career. When healthy, some scouts see Gronkowski as a better all around TE than Gresham.

It was comments made by Gronkowski that made me take interest in him beyond what you read about him from scouts or whoever. Because this is what the Patriots need: A confident player, who believe he can step in from day one. But a player who can also identify his flaws and show a desire to want to improve as a player.

Gronkowski, who performed only the bench press here and completed a solid 23 reps, said his main goals at the Combine were to interview well and prove he is healthy. "I believe I passed everything with flying colors," he said, referring to his medical exam.

Although they rank as the top two players at their position, Gronkowski and Gresham both acknowledged they have room for improvement. Gronkowski said his hands are his greatest strength but that he could sharpen his blocking.

"I believe I had some great games blocking, and I believe I had some all-right games blocking," Gronkowski said. "I can definitely work in that area with some technique and overall coaching."

Gronkowski said, "I believe I rank up in the top three, if not No. 1. I would say I'm a top tight end because I bring a lot to the table. I bring the whole package. I believe I'm ready to step in. I'm ready to take on the big D-ends, ready to go out there and catch some passes."

After lost seasons, Gresham, Gronkowski duel for top TE ranking - Dennis Dillon - NFL - Sporting News

03/14/2010 - Arizona TE Rob Gronkowski, a player some analysts have projected as a possible first-rounder, did not work out at the school's pro day on March 10 due to his recovery from a back injury. Gronkowski is NFL analysts Mike Mayock's second-rated tight end. The back injury that cost Gronkowski his entire 2009 season has healed, but he is still working on his conditioning. He will work out on Saturday, March 27, one day after the pro day at nearby Arizona State. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

Rob Gronkowski, Arizona, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back