PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will take less than $500k in cap space for draft signings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been out of the loop lately but does this assume HT, Collins, Butler etc.. Have been signed?

Don't all SB prorations count on the salary cap, even if the player's salary doesn't?

Yes but the time the draft class is signed 51st highest cap number should be at least $600,000 limiting the cap space lost as draft picks are signed.

They are signed
What does that mean? Yes, they are "signed", but I don't think they have been extended past this final year of their contracts.

What does that mean? Yes, they are "signed", but I don't think they have been extended past this final year of their contracts.
They are signed (for this year) but not extended (past their original rookie contract)

Screenshot of the cap hits

Attachments

• 2016draftpicks.PNG
    2016draftpicks.PNG
    22 KB · Views: 20
They should get rid of the draft picks, it will save them $500,000.

Maybe the league will find a reason to take them away. (?)

@Miguel: I see what you're saying, but I think it'll take a bit more than $500K.

The players drafted in slots 91 and 96 will knock salaries of $600K off the roster, but the next two will knock players with SB prorations off the top 51 (Tre Jackson and Shaq Mason), and, as I understand it, only their salaries come off the cap, not the prorations.

For the record, the rule of thumb I've used is that it takes an amount roughly equal to the signing bonus prorations for every player drafted in the first four rounds (about $880K here).

All I can say
@Miguel: I see what you're saying, but I think it'll take a bit more than $500K.

The players drafted in slots 91 and 96 will knock salaries of $600K off the roster, but the next two will knock players with SB prorations off the top 51 (Tre Jackson and Shaq Mason), and, as I understand it, only their salaries come off the cap, not the prorations.

For the record, the rule of thumb I've used is that it takes an amount roughly equal to the signing bonus prorations for every player drafted in the first four rounds (about $880K here).

All I can say is that my way has been accurate the last several years.

What is a 5/30 cap hit and what is a 9/10 cap hit?

After the draft pick he will count the 5/30 cap hist against the cap but if he makes the teams after the roster cutdowns he will count the 9/10 cap hit against the cap

After the draft pick he will count the 5/30 cap hist against the cap but if he makes the teams after the roster cutdowns he will count the 9/10 cap hit against the cap

Oh, those are DATES! Thanks. You can ignore my duplicate question in another thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST