PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will Our 2019 Running Game Improve From 18th?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Our 2019 rushing offense was about average (18th). In 2019, we had no fullback, no TE, no LT (well, Newhouse) and the rest of the OL injured.

This year we will have a FB, a LT and a couple of TE's. The RB's themselves would be expected to be about the same, although Harris is likely to be more prepared. Our backup OL's should be better. We will add Froholdt, Cajuste, and Onwenu. One of the TE's might even be able to play a bit of h-back. Hopefully, the rest of the line will be healthier.

BOTTOM LINE
I expect our rushing games to improve.

Last edited:
Yes especially if the OL is healthy.

Rush game should be considerably improved.

Probable return of Andrews and a FB. Hopeful health of Wynn. Tentatively Thuney remains. Stidham learning the ropes.

All signs point towards « yes ».

I'm looking forward to seeing some Damien Harris. With the 2 TE we drafted, I assume we will see a lot of 12 personnel this year, which should help out with the run game.

A lot. They are healthy now.

The league had no answer for it at the end of 18. They were absolute money in the red zone. I really think it was right up there with Baltimore’s last year that’s how good it was.

Agree it should be better with our C, LT, FB back and 2 new TEs. Problem is Michel isn't a power back like Antowain Smith or LaGarrette Blount. He's a zero trucking RB like Maroney, falls down on initial contact.

I think it will improve, though one mitigating factor will be the relative unknown that is the passing game. Defenses are probably going to shade towards the run until whoever our QB is makes them align otherwise. I still think the running game will be better because of the additions (and returns), but they won't improve enough to overpower teams that are daring us to throw.

I expect the running game to be the focal point of the offense until Stidham proves himself. If it doesn’t improve statistically from 18, that’s *probably* a very bad sign.

I think it will improve, though one mitigating factor will be the relative unknown that is the passing game. Defenses are probably going to shade towards the run until whoever our QB is makes them align otherwise. I still think the running game will be better because of the additions (and returns), but they won't improve enough to overpower teams that are daring us to throw.
If they dare us to throw we will throw. And since they are daring us to throw they will be safe, easy throws for the young QB.

I expect the running game to be the focal point of the offense until Stidham proves himself. If it doesn’t improve statistically from 18, that’s *probably* a very bad sign.
We will take what they give us. The key to success if we can run when we have to and throw when we have to.
Runs on 3rd and 7 with a lead if the d looks like last year will be called.

It’s impossible not to. It was a joke last year to say we had any running game.

Not sure if it will resemble the end of 2018, but certainly should be expected to be better than 2019.

Even with defenses being more run D minded, it’s not like Stidham and the offense need to be forced to have some deep aerial attack to combat it. Work the flats, be creative/effective with play development, and take advantage of RB-LB matchups out in space if teams try to go LB heavy.

Hoping that Harris can be a guy who steps up and blurs the line as far as defenses thinking run vs. pass though. Also hope that Michel in year 3 is able to add something to the passing game.

I'll say yes if the o-line is healthy and returns to 2018 form. and if the qb can provide enough to keep the opposing defense honest. I think stidham can and will.

Yes if we trade for Nick Chubb ;)

If we have a healthy oline, FB, and functional TEs, then the run game should improve regardless of who the feature back is.

Now, if the question is what is the ceiling of the run game, the current personnel has me less than completely thrilled. I expect the run game to be functional, but not strong enough to build an offense around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes