PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Will new interview rule trigger a wave of firings?

amfootball

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I forgot about this but the NFL made a new rule , for the first time ever, NFL franchises will be permitted to officially commence interviewing assistant coaches from other teams with time left in the regular season. As of Monday, December 27, the window opens on virtual interviews. There’s an important catch. The teams that will be interviewing assistants from other teams must have a vacancy, or the coach must have been told that he’ll be gone after the season ends. This could lead to teams firing their HCs as soon as Monday so they can begin interviewing as soon as possible. The Jags and Raiders have already let go of their HCs so they can start on Monday.

I wonder if the Jags interview McD?

Will new interview rule trigger a wave of firings? - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

It does seem like it would add incentive for teams to cut ties before the season ends, lest they miss out on their top choice for a new coach.

I don't see why this was considered a good idea, but it could lead to more situations like the way McDaniels came back here during the playoffs.

Yes it will.

Rule or no rule, how is Nagy still employed this morning ?

I winder if he’s even take that interview? He didn’t want to be the Colts Coach, why would he want to be the Jags Coach? It shouldn’t even be considered for Josh until Balke is fired.

I forgot about this but the NFL made a new rule , for the first time ever, NFL franchises will be permitted to officially commence interviewing assistant coaches from other teams with time left in the regular season. As of Monday, December 27, the window opens on virtual interviews. There’s an important catch. The teams that will be interviewing assistants from other teams must have a vacancy, or the coach must have been told that he’ll be gone after the season ends. This could lead to teams firing their HCs as soon as Monday so they can begin interviewing as soon as possible. The Jags and Raiders have already let go of their HCs so they can start on Monday.

Will new interview rule trigger a wave of firings? - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)
Florio leaves out one important point: during the regular season, at least, a coach's current team can refuse to allow interviews.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back