PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

I'm hopeful the receiver corps performs as a top 12 unit for all of the reasons others have stated above (2nd year, etc.). However, one can't discount the following potential concerns:

Parker (1st Rd): injury prone
Agholor (1st Rd): inconsistent
Harry (1st Rd): bust
Thornton (2nd Rd): NFL ready body?
Montgomery (3rd Rd): Jag

Bourne (UDFA): jewel
Meyers (UDFA): above average, consistent & improving every season.

PFF has this group of receivers ranked under tier 3 - "could be strength or weakness."

20. New England Patriots

The Patriots' receiving corps contains plenty of nice, complementary pieces, but it still lacks a true No. 1 wide receiver who quarterback Mac Jones can rely on to beat man coverage in key situations. DeVante Parker comes in from Miami to be one of New England's top options on the outside, but even he failed to top an 80.0 PFF grade or 2.0 yards per route run in his best season with the Miami Dolphins.

One storyline worth watching is whether the Patriots can get tight end Jonnu Smith more involved in their offense after giving him over $30 million guaranteed last offseason. Smith appeared in 16 games during the 2021 season but ran only 158 routes (52nd at tight end) and posted his fewest receiving yards (294) since the 2018 season.

I'm hopeful the receiver corps performs as a top 12 unit for all of the reasons others have stated above (2nd year, etc.). However, one can't discount the following potential concerns:

PFF has this group of receivers ranked under tier 3 - "could be strength or weakness."

20. New England Patriots

The Patriots' receiving corps contains plenty of nice, complementary pieces, but it still lacks a true No. 1 wide receiver who quarterback Mac Jones can rely on to beat man coverage in key situations. DeVante Parker comes in from Miami to be one of New England's top options on the outside, but even he failed to top an 80.0 PFF grade or 2.0 yards per route run in his best season with the Miami Dolphins.

One storyline worth watching is whether the Patriots can get tight end Jonnu Smith more involved in their offense after giving him over $30 million guaranteed last offseason. Smith appeared in 16 games during the 2021 season but ran only 158 routes (52nd at tight end) and posted his fewest receiving yards (294) since the 2018 season.

Yep, and Parker & Agholor are the "strength or weakness" they mean... On the bright side, both of them are playing for new contracts; and those have been the only times either of them have ever done anything... So we have that going for us...

I presume that there isn't much of a signing bonus.

For me, this affirms that Agholor or Myers will go.
How does camp fodder affirm anything about veterans who are a lock to make the team?

Bill keeps adding bodies to the offense. I don't get it. Trade imminent?
There is this thing called training camp that you can bring 90 players to. 37 of them don’t make the team. You still bring them.

20. New England Patriots

1655517670034.gif

20. New England Patriots

Parker is my X Factor. If he turns back time, stays healthy and reverts to his 2019 form, there will be a trickle down effect for the rest of the group.

20. New England Patriots
The Patriots' receiving corps contains plenty of nice, complementary pieces, but it still lacks a true No. 1 wide receiver who quarterback Mac Jones can rely on to beat man coverage in key situations.

Someone finally provides a definition of a "#1 WR" that can be examined: reliably beat man coverage in "key situations."

As in, against the other team's #1 CB, who knows the QB is going to look at this guy first, and also knows how much yardage is needed, and knows the WR's moves and primary routes in these situations.. "Key situations" - third and long, or fourth and anything, and late in a quarter/game with little time left.

That's a very high standard. Without a doubt, most teams don't have a guy that fits that description.

Last edited:
How does camp fodder affirm anything about veterans who are a lock to make the team?
If we were keeping all 4 of the veterans plus Thornton, there is little need for additional WR's even for competition in case of injury. We have Nixon and Wilkerson and even Harry and Perry.

Personally, I'd be fine with keeping Myers, even if he is the #4 WR. Would that work for you?

If we were keeping all 4 of the veterans plus Thornton, there is little need for additional WR's even for competition in case of injury. We have Nixon and Wilkerson and even Harry and Perry.

Personally, I'd be fine with keeping Myers, even if he is the #4 WR. Would that work for you?
Someone has to compete against the lower string DBs

Humphrey is competing with Nixon and Wilkerson. One or more will end up on the practice squad. That’s what the bottom of the 90 man is about.

Last edited:
Someone finally provides a definition of a "#1 WR" that can be examined: reliably beat man coverage in "key situations."

As in, against the other team's #1 CB, who knows the QB is going to look at his guy first, and also knows how much yardage is needed, and knows the WR's moves and primary routes in these situations.. "Key situations" - third and long, or fourth and anything, and late in a quarter/game with little time left.

That's a very high standard. Without a doubt, most teams don't have a guy that fits that description.
That’s a very good point.

it’s also why I don’t put much stock in the whole #1 receiver thing. That’s a very high bar. Much higher than “do they have WRs who are good enough that reliably one of them will beat his coverage in key situations?” If the answer to theater is yes that’s good enough, really as good as having that #1.

I remember that at the start of his career Brady was noted for finding the guy who was open. It was said that Brady’s favorite receiver was whoever’s open. Then he got Mossed. Tasted a true #1, and started demanding that as his required minimum. I’d be very happy to see Jones go back to favoring whoever is open. No true #1 is needed.

He should be at TE.

He produces about the same as an average NFL I mean 300 yards and 2 TDs is a great season for him. N'Keal Harry Stats | Pro-Football-Reference.com Evidently he is a good blocker which falls in with TE duties. Harry is more psychical than finesse.
He's not hard working enough nor has the ability to grasp the TE playbook. He barely gets off the line on time and sometimes has no idea how to line up.

The TE has the 2nd hardest position to learn behind the QB in that offense. I dont think Harry has the chops for it

I want Tre Nixon to keep making impactful plays and cause the team to get rid of inconsistent Agholor. The dude is way overpaid. Not Belichick’s finest moment.

Hilarious video - too funny no matter how many times I watch it. I agree about Tre Nixon making impactful plays but in mandatory mini-comp Nixon was in the slot which means he would displace Meyers, and not Agular, Agholure, Aghular, or Agholor.

I know you can spell - I am poking fun at others.

He's not hard working enough nor has the ability to grasp the TE playbook. He barely gets off the line on time and sometimes has no idea how to line up.

The TE has the 2nd hardest position to learn behind the QB in that offense. I dont think Harry has the chops for it
Harry’s soft, he doesn’t have the chops for the NFL.

Ideally the young kids play great and push the vets and threaten their jobs. Creating camp competition and having a tough decision to make after camp ends is the perfect situation.

Agholor and Meyers have no contract beyond this season.

Nixon or Thornton could be a better cheaper option than Agholor, if you can get similar production to Agholor’s best (2020 Raiders) for a lot less money from a player on a rookie deal then you trade Agholor. That’s just the law of the jungle.

Parker is my X Factor. If he turns back time, stays healthy and reverts to his 2019 form, there will be a trickle down effect for the rest of the group.
Parker got hurt last season, in the two years prior he led all WR’s on his team in snaps played, receptions and yards.

The big difference in his production from 2019 to 2020 had more to do with changing from Ryan Fitzpatrick to Tua. That was completely out of his control, not unlike Agholor going from Carr to rookie Mac last season.

Parker just needs to stay healthy. His physical nature is what we love about him as a receiver, it’s also what gets him hurt… he’ll need a little luck.

Last edited:
Agholor and Meyers have no contract beyond this season.

Nixon or Thornton could be a better cheaper option than Agholor, if you can get similar production to Agholor’s best (2020 Raiders) for a lot less money from a player on a rookie deal then you trade Agholor. That’s just the law of the jungle.
If you know that we can get the same production from Nixon or Thornton, I suggest that you play the lottery.

Absent injuries, there is no way to know before the season starts.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back