PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

PFF has them ranked as the 20th group of pass catchers.. feels about right.

I expect the offense to be average in most categories.
Looks like a fair grade, but the Jets have no business being in front of them. I'd put them at 18 which is just outside the middle of the pack.

Who led the team in first down catches? Who led the team in catches of 20 yards or more? Who led the team in reception yards per game? Who had a drop rate of less than 2.4%?

Agreed. But beating out Harry is not amazing. Agholor and Bourne were 1st year players, and Bourne was much better in the 2nd half. Meyers issue is he disappears inside the 20. We need TDs, did Meyers have 2? I am not sure if Meyers can get open inside the 20 if the opposing defense decides to shut him down. He couldn't in 2021. Maybe he is learning and improving. I doubt Meyers is traded but I also doubt we sign him long term if Nixon steps up.

Understood. Have to believe Nixon is slotted for that position. Nixon knows the playbook and is more athletic (by a lot). Otherwise why not sign Bolden?
Was Nixon elevated from PS even once last season? The crowning of Nixon as defacto slot WR is very curious.

Was Nixon elevated from PS even once last season? The crowning of Nixon as defacto slot WR is very curious.

That is what happens in Y2, guys move from the PS to the 53. Why is that curious? He is being considered as a WR, and in mandatory training camp he lined up as a slot WR. Everything points to Nixon as a slot WR unless I am missing something? Why do you find it curious?

That is what happens in Y2, guys move from the PS to the 53. Why is that curious? He is being considered as a WR, and in mandatory training camp he lined up as a slot WR. Everything points to Nixon as a slot WR unless I am missing something? Why do you find it curious?
Because he's shown absolutely nothing to this point. How many WRs have flashed in mini-camp in the past only to disappear when the pads come on?

Agreed. But beating out Harry is not amazing. Agholor and Bourne were 1st year players, and Bourne was much better in the 2nd half. Meyers issue is he disappears inside the 20. We need TDs, did Meyers have 2? I am not sure if Meyers can get open inside the 20 if the opposing defense decides to shut him down. He couldn't in 2021. Maybe he is learning and improving. I doubt Meyers is traded but I also doubt we sign him long term if Nixon steps up.
Agholor and Bourne were veterans, not 1st year players. Agholor excelled in Vegas in his 1st year there. Bourne said Pats plays weren't that different than in SF (aside for terminology).

A team needs TDs but also possession receivers. Someone that can help move the chains.

It's funny how we give excuses for veterans playing for a different team but want to crown an UDFA that's never stepped on the field (or the bench for that matter).

Meyers was also an UDFA but actually made the 53 his rookie year and contributed instead of sitting in PS for a year. Meyers was ranked #33 (tied w/ Darnell Mooney) out of 115 WRs. Parker was #41. That's pretty damn good if you ask me. Don't get the hate towards Jakobi.

Because he's shown absolutely nothing to this point. How many WRs have flashed in mini-camp in the past only to disappear when the pads come on?

Could be true. On the 53 or a serial PS player? Like Wilkerson?

I think Nixon is an interesting combination of athleticism and size, but maybe he was only playing because Meyers and Bourne were out. Never know, but we will see in a few months. I think Nixon was ahead of Wilkerson, and stayed in the slot Day 2 after Bourne returned. Maybe he got lucky and does not know the whole playbook.

Agholor and Bourne were veterans, not 1st year players. Agholor excelled in Vegas in his 1st year there. Bourne said Pats plays weren't that different than in SF (aside for terminology).

A team needs TDs but also possession receivers. Someone that can help move the chains.

It's funny how we give excuses for veterans playing for a different team but want to crown an UDFA that's never stepped on the field (or the bench for that matter).

Meyers was also an UDFA but actually made the 53 his rookie year and contributed instead of sitting in PS for a year. Meyers was ranked #33 (tied w/ Darnell Mooney) out of 115 WRs. Parker was #41. That's pretty damn good if you ask me. Don't get the hate towards Jakobi.

There is only hate towards Meyers in your own mind. Because we give Nixon a shot we therefore hate Meyers? Meyers will get paid next year, and if we don't pay him then we hate him? Noone ever said Meyers was bad. You sound like Andy making up situations to defend and then going extreme in defending the positions you made up.

He's Randy Moss. They had him for 2.5 years, didn't win a championship. In the other 20 years they DIDN'T have a 'true WR1' they won six championships.

this is true, but its not like we didn't win Super Bowls BECAUSE we had a true WR1... Randy Moss was pretty special and we nearly went undefeated with him, a true #1 WR can help the offense a lot by putting tremendous pressure on defenses

When you have an elite defense, you can get away with a lot of things like not having a bonified WR1, but it never hurts to have a legit talent at the WR position

Well, you see this is a patriots message board and one thing people will sometimes do is engage in speculation.

Sure, there are some ifs involved. Buy if Nixon continues playing like he has in mini camp in training camp, who could he push off the roster.

LOCKS
Bourne
Parker
Myers or Agholor (one is likely to be the #3} [This choice could be already made, or not; I hope not]
Thornton (anywhere from inactive every week absent injuries to #3 WR
==========
NUMBER 4 WR
Thornton or Meyers or Nixon or a free agent (I can't see us keeping Agholor as the #4)
=============
5th WR ROSTER SPOT
I think that this is only necessary if Thornton cannot start out as the #4. This could be Myers or Nixon or a $1M-$2M free agent.

Last year, white got injured pretty early in the year. Maybe defenses play our receivers differently and jones could have made more intermediate throws to Bourne, Henry and smith, if white had stayed healthy!

Regardless, Myers took advantage of the offensive hole left by white’s injury.

All true, but last year Mac was desperately looking for a go-to 3rd down receiver and Meyers was missing. That's what the Pats are looking for.

Bourne has skills other WRs on the team don't have, Parker is this year's experiment at #1, and Thornton is the guy for the future.

It appears they will build Mac's future from there. If those guys above don't work out, the team might commit to Meyers longer term, but if Nixon or another WR shows up in camp, Meyers has to viewed as odd man out, especially looking at 6-8 million after this year.
Meyers was 10th in the league in 1st down catches on 3rd down.
That’s not going missing.

That's a low blow dude. Lol

Haha. I thought that might sting :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I do not hate Meyers at all. His payday is coming and he deserves it. I do not think we will pay Meyers or Wynn. This year at $4M and $10M they are reasonable value, but in 2023 I think the Pats are planning another "change in direction" with a 1st round OT (maybe double dip as well or maybe they think Herron or Cajuste will continue to improve), and various FAs to plug the holes we have in 2022. I do not think Meyers or Wynn are "difference makers" and if we were going to extend them, I think the deals would already be done. In 2023 we will need DTs (Godchaux and Guy are gone), a FS maybe, OT(s), maybe LB, and DE? RB, TE, & QB will be set, and if Nixon, Parker, and Thornton work out, WR will be all set. I do not see Meyers on the team in 2023.

I know you and @rochrist do not want to lose Meyers, but I think it is inevitable. I think Harry and Agholor are gone too.

Just a reminder that the Pats have almost zero cap space at the moment, and it's hard to envision a contract both sides can live with that wouldn't raise his cap hit.

His cap hit is $4 million this year.

Unless Meyers is breaking the bank, they should be able to work out a cheaper number on a long term contract.

For example, Bourne, received 3 years $15 million and the cap hit last year was 3 million.

How much more would/should they give Meyers?

Meyers was 10th in the league in 1st down catches on 3rd down.
That’s not going missing.

It felt to me as the year went on Hunter Henry was more of the go-to guy. But ok he was great on third downs.

I am not knocking Meyers. He's been an important piece. Just one who perhaps can be replaced inexpensively.

Isn't that the team's way with players who aren't exceptionally talented (#1 WR), and don't play special teams? Replace them inexpensively?

Looks like a fair grade, but the Jets have no business being in front of them. I'd put them at 18 which is just outside the middle of the pack.

Corey Davis - Garrett Wilson has the potential to be nice Outside duo... But Denzel Mims (from Baylor) is their only backup, and he hasn't done much so far... Elijah Moore was well-liked in the Draft forum last year, and Braxton Berrios is ok enough as his backup in the Slot... Depth on the outside will be a problem for them this season... besides their QB...

Could be true. On the 53 or a serial PS player? Like Wilkerson?

I think Nixon is an interesting combination of athleticism and size, but maybe he was only playing because Meyers and Bourne were out. Never know, but we will see in a few months. I think Nixon was ahead of Wilkerson, and stayed in the slot Day 2 after Bourne returned. Maybe he got lucky and does not know the whole playbook.

Nixon right now seems to have the inside track for Bourne's backup in the Slot...if that position is even carried on the Opening Day 53...
Sometimes in order to carry a Backup Slot WR, that guy has to be the primary K/PR, and I don't see him being capable of those duties...

Barring injuries/trades, Parker & Agholor are the top Outside guys, Bourne the primary Slot guy, Meyers the Next Man Up at all 3 positions, and Thornton the understudy on the Outside... That's 5 already, and Bill has rarely carried 6 non-STer WRs... Not saying that I wouldn't like to see it happen, mind you...

Having a 6th WR might depend on having a 3rd QB, or a 3rd TE, or a 5th RB, or a 9th OLman...

It felt to me as the year went on Hunter Henry was more of the go-to guy. But ok he was great on third downs.

I am not knocking Meyers. He's been an important piece. Just one who perhaps can be replaced inexpensively.

Isn't that the team's way with players who aren't exceptionally talented (#1 WR), and don't play special teams? Replace them inexpensively?
I was commenting on your statement that Meyers was needed on 3rd down and didn’t show up.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Back