PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receivers depth chart

n6249c

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Just saw this story that Meyers is hoping to sign a long-term deal. Looking at the stories out of mini camp and the overall depth in the wide receivers room, what do you think his prospects for that really are?

I like him, but I’m not sure he’s in a strong position.

Here is the depth chart, as I see it. The original source was Patriots.com unofficial depth chart. I re-arranged it to update as I see it after the minicamp. Feel free to discuss that as well as Meyers’ long term deal prospects. I think the first two are likely to stick in those slots, at most they may swap positions depending on who has the most recent good day. Then I see 3 through 6 as very likely to shuffle through training camp. Wilkerson is on the bubble, and the last two will be surprises if they are on the team opening day. That’s my thoughts, ymmv.

DeVante Parker
Kendrick Bourne
Nelson Agholor
Jakobi Meyers
Tyquan Thornton
Tre Nixon
Kristian Wilkerson
Malcolm Perry
N’Keal Harry

Jakobi Meyers at Patriots minicamp without a contract, hopes to sign long-term deal - ProFootballTalk

The ideal Depth Chart would be:

Parker becomes the Alpha WR and #1 outside guy.
Agholor is the #2 on the outside.
Bourne is the #1 slot option.
Thornton having an impact and stretching the field on playaction passes opening up lanes for others like Smith, Henry, Bourne, etc..
Myers is the #2 slot guy. I think he'll be more effective in the role of a Jabar Gaffney (which his style is very similar to) then getting the attention of the Pats #1 WR. He's a good story for an undrafted FA, but he's a #3 or #4 at best.
I will be shocked if N'Keal Harry makes the team (he shouldn't).

Nixon, Wilkerson and Perry and Harry are all fighting for a roster spot.

Meyers might do well on a team which does not have a decent wr after wr 1 and wr 2. Prolly cowboys who might be looking to get a Cole Beasley in Meyers.

There are usually 4 active for a game, if I recall? A fifth on the roster but inactive. Injuries often determine who, but when all are healthy, its matchups and game plan.

That's a deep list, but it only has four proven players on it, and one of them is injury prone.

On the other hand, if Nixon really is going to be hard to cut, he creates a nice problem for #5.

Just saw this story that Meyers is hoping to sign a long-term deal. Looking at the stories out of mini camp and the overall depth in the wide receivers room, what do you think his prospects for that really are?

I like him, but I’m not sure he’s in a strong position.

Here is the depth chart, as I see it. The original source was Patriots.com unofficial depth chart. I re-arranged it to update as I see it after the minicamp. Feel free to discuss that as well as Meyers’ long term deal prospects. I think the first two are likely to stick in those slots, at most they may swap positions depending on who has the most recent good day. Then I see 3 through 6 as very likely to shuffle through training camp. Wilkerson is on the bubble, and the last two will be surprises if they are on the team opening day. That’s my thoughts, ymmv.

DeVante Parker
Kendrick Bourne
Nelson Agholor
Jakobi Meyers
Tyquan Thornton
Tre Nixon
Kristian Wilkerson
Malcolm Perry
N’Keal Harry

Jakobi Meyers at Patriots minicamp without a contract, hopes to sign long-term deal - ProFootballTalk

Ty Montgomery is listed on the roster at WR. Although, he also is considered a RB/WR/KR "tweener" by a lot of folks.

Why no love for Meyers. It's huge to have someone like Parker but I see Meyers still as 1 on our pecking order just on tenure . Of course there's a decent chance Parker or Bourne could pass him but until that happens he's tops. Just thought its worth pointing out that Meyers and Bourne each had 800+ yards for us last year and that Parker only once in his career has had more in a season. Glad to have all 3 and I could see any combination shake out as top 3 between them. I'd be surprised if Agholar got in this group and hopefully Thornton can but that might take a year or 2 to develop.
1 Meyers
2 Bourne I could have easily put Parker here but Bourne is a year in here and seems to be on the incline.
3 Parker
4 Agholar
5 Harry
6 Wilkerson
7 Tre might already be ahead of Wilk but I'll wait til TC and not mini camp to decide... likewise for the rook.
8 Thornton obviously a lock and he should very quickly vault ahead of several. But I'll wait to see it and to see how high he vaults. Not a knock or indication of my opinion of him just no reason to rush it he has to earn it.

Rookie seasons

Ce Ce Lamb - 13 starts
Tee Higgins - 14 starts
D K Metcalf - 15 starts
Terry McLaurin - 14 starts
Jmarr Chase - 17 starts

The Patriots have gone out and acquired a weapon that was sorely needed. The NE deep pass game svcks. The first 4 games in 2022 that count are vs Miami (NE struggles to win), Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Green Bay. 3 crucial Conference games.

If this Thorton is for real then start him from the beginning.

The ideal Depth Chart would be:

Parker becomes the Alpha WR and #1 outside guy.
Agholor is the #2 on the outside.
Bourne is the #1 slot option.
Thornton having an impact and stretching the field on playaction passes opening up lanes for others like Smith, Henry, Bourne, etc..
Myers is the #2 slot guy. I think he'll be more effective in the role of a Jabar Gaffney (which his style is very similar to) then getting the attention of the Pats #1 WR. He's a good story for an undrafted FA, but he's a #3 or #4 at best.
I will be shocked if N'Keal Harry makes the team (he shouldn't).

Nixon, Wilkerson and Perry and Harry are all fighting for a roster spot.
Harry and Perry are gone IMO. I always thought Wilkerson showed some flashes when he gets the opportunity, but he never sees the field. Nixon is interesting and is really pushing for a good hard look.

Harry: it’s one thing to draft a WR like this and not have it work out for whatever reason…. But keeping him now would be a monumental failure in so many ways. You cannot send a message to the team that a massive lack of dedication to the craft is rewarded with a roster spot.

This is the deepest wr group that we've had in years. A lot of good potential imo. I don't see Harry cracking the top 6 in any way unless there is an injury or two and in that case, I'd probably rather see Montgomery in there than Harry at this point.

1-DeVante Parker
2-Kendrick Bourne
3-Jakobi Meyers
4-Nelson Agholor
5-Tyquan Thornton
6- Tre Nixon
7-Kristian Wilkerson
8- N’Keal Harry
9- Malcom Perry

This is the deepest wr group that we've had in years. A lot of good potential imo. I don't see Harry cracking the top 6 in any way unless there is an injury or two and in that case, I'd probably rather see Montgomery in there than Harry at this point.

1-DeVante Parker
2-Kendrick Bourne
3-Jakobi Meyers
4-Nelson Agholor
5-Tyquan Thornton
6- Tre Nixon
7-Kristian Wilkerson
8- N’Keal Harry
9- Malcom Perry
I agree with the important rankings (1-5). 6 & 7 could flip and I could care less about 8 and 9. Nice work Ashley

BIG WR (2) – DeVante Parker, Kendrick Bourne,
SPEED WR (2) – Nelson Agholor, Tre Nixon (PS), Tyquan Thornton (PS),
SLOT WR (2) – Jakobi Meyers, Kristian Wilkerson (PS), Malcolm Perry (PS),

You'll need to cut or trade 2 ^ at the very least off the back end of the roster.

If everyone exits camp healthy and the young (PS) guys emerge someone will be traded... my guess is either Agholor or Meyers based on contract situation for next season.

1-DeVante Parker
2-Kendrick Bourne
3-Jakobi Meyers
4-Nelson Agholor
5-Tyquan Thornton
6- Tre Nixon

7-Kristian Wilkerson
8- N’Keal Harry
9- Malcom Perry

Yeah, I'll take those 6 guys plus Slater and call it a day....

You'll need to cut or trade 2 ^ at the very least off the back end of the roster.

If everyone exits camp healthy and the young (PS) guys emerge someone will be traded... my guess is either Agholor or Meyers based on contract situation for next season.
Nixon is a slot receiver.
Do you think our Rd #2 pick that we moved up to get because several teams wanted him there (ahem), clears waivers? Doubt it. More likely he gets red shirted (Foxboro flu).

Do you think our Rd #2 pick that we moved up to get because several teams wanted him there (ahem), clears waivers? Doubt it. More likely he gets red shirted (Foxboro flu).
Nixon is a slot receiver… based on what? I see him at that fast position.

I agree about Thornton, there’s always ways to stash players.

I think Nixon is a slot receiver...a speedy / quick one at that

I think you typoed a PS designation on our 2nd rounder bro

Why no love for Meyers. It's huge to have someone like Parker but I see Meyers still as 1 on our pecking order just on tenure . Of course there's a decent chance Parker or Bourne could pass him but until that happens he's tops. Just thought its worth pointing out that Meyers and Bourne each had 800+ yards for us last year and that Parker only once in his career has had more in a season. Glad to have all 3 and I could see any combination shake out as top 3 between them. I'd be surprised if Agholar got in this group and hopefully Thornton can but that might take a year or 2 to develop.
1 Meyers
2 Bourne I could have easily put Parker here but Bourne is a year in here and seems to be on the incline.
3 Parker
4 Agholar
5 Harry
6 Wilkerson
7 Tre might already be ahead of Wilk but I'll wait til TC and not mini camp to decide... likewise for the rook.
8 Thornton obviously a lock and he should very quickly vault ahead of several. But I'll wait to see it and to see how high he vaults. Not a knock or indication of my opinion of him just no reason to rush it he has to earn it.
It‘s not that I don’t love Meyers, I just love Bourne more. I should’ve had him at the top of the list. I put Parker there based on the unofficial depth chart on patriots.com. They actually have two parallel WR positions, I assume one for each side of the O. Take a look for yourself, link below.

Parker was top on the first one, Bourne was top of the other one. I also gave Parker the benefit of the doubt not having seen how he will do in the Pats’ system. Bourne certainly did better in his first year here than he had previously. If Parker does the same that will be pretty good. Of course Bourne is likely to continue to improve as well.

Agholor was next on one, Meyers next on the other and I like Meyers a bit more than Agholor. I just think he already is what he is, in other words I see less upside for him than I do for Bourne, and perhaps Parker. Honestly I think all of the top three have potential to better than we’ve yet seen. Only reason I’m not saying that about Agholor is lingering disappointment from last year.

After those four Ty and Tre are a tossup. I’d like to see Wilkerson show something too, but there’s a crowd of talent ahead of him.

I’m very optimistic about the weapons Mac will have at his disposal this season. Throw in Jonnu improving, Asiasi or Keene perhaps finally showing up, even Harry maybe converting to TE, and the deep list of RBs. Can’t wait to see them all in camp!

New England Patriots Unofficial Depth Chart

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back