PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver

If we just had mediocre QB play last year, we likely win 4 more games maybe 5. I think Brissett can do that. I know, I know, Different year, different schedule.

Raiders, Chargers, Giants and Colts.

Patriots, for reference only. 13.9 points per game. 197 yards per game of total offense. Throw a 3rd round wr on the wall and hope he sticks strategy. We have 7 #3 Wr 's now, sorry. I don't want a fast reciever, I don't want a tall reciever, I want a Gronk like reciever. We will continue to circle the bottom of the bowl until someone says no more. Big game Brady went to his best 2 receivers and rode them to playoffs and Superbowls. We will not get a FA worth his weight, just went thru it the past 3 yrs. Rinse and repeat I guess is the strategy. I just want winning football and to me we are pushing the cart down the road.
We all want that, but those guys don't grow on trees. It'll be great if we can find someone like that, somewhere, anywhere maybe this draft.

we need to find one in the draft. its not rocket science. Every other team in the league finds elite WR's in rounds 1-4 and all we pick are busts.

i'm hoping a change in strategy leads to better picks.

If we just had mediocre QB play last year, we likely win 4 more games maybe 5. I think Brissett can do that. I know, I know, Different year, different schedule.

Raiders, Chargers, Giants and Colts.
Qb play? Your nuts. Jail break o-line and NOBODY getting open. They even showed it on the replays. Come on man, stop gaslighting bra...

we need to find one in the draft. its not rocket science. Every other team in the league finds elite WR's in rounds 1-4 and all we pick are busts.

i'm hoping a change in strategy leads to better picks.

I think Belichick believed deeply in his models at positions, and his WR model was broken. He also believed deeply in psychological testing they used to evaluate players, and I’m not so sure that really mattered for WR’s.

On the other hand this draft appears to be extremely deep at WR.
As Wozzy pointed out above, gems have been discovered in latter rounds in the recent past.

Potential 3rd round WR prospects (some will be gone by #68):
Ja'Lyn Polk, Washington
Jermaine Burton, Alabama
Jalen McMillan, Washington
Javon Baker, UCF
Malik Washington, Virginia
Brenden Rice, USC
Johnny Wilson, Florida State

Potential 4th-5th round WR prospects:
Jamari Thrash, Louisville
Luke McCaffrey, Rice
Jacob Cowing, Arizona
Ainias Smith, Texas A&M
Cornelius Johnson, Michigan
Tahj Washington, USC
Marcus Rosemary-Jacksaint, Georgia

Potential 6th-7th round WR prospects:
Ryan Flournoy, SE Missouri State
Isaiah Williams, Illinois
Bub Means, Pitt
Anthony Gould, Oregon State
Jalen Coker, Holy Cross
Huge fan of J Baker and B Rice here love McCaffery - Cowing - Polk and McMillan. I think Malik Washington is a Pop Douglas clone pass.

Last edited:
Unless they trade around and can get a true blue-chip prospect, I suspect you're right. I do think if you put a true #1, or even a Higgins or Ayuk (whom I consider to be 1b's) on top of that list, it suddenly looks like a very good group.

Also, I've given up on Thornton, but I still am not sleeping on Boutte. He needs reps, lots of them, and while I agree that right now he's behind the guys you mention, he plays fast and there's something about the way he catches without slowing, already shifting to the best seam before him that I don't see in a lot of players. I don't think he's nearly reached what he could be...but will he ever?

(In Thornton's defense, I should add that the Pats running him on short crosses over the middle or bubble screen in LB territory seemed counterproductive with a guy who can crawl under a closed door in a n old house.)
I've given up too don't know what the former Pats brass saw in his pre draft workouts but he hasn't shown it in the NFL. I guess he gets another TC let's just say I'm not holding my breath on Thornton. Kinda surprised K Boutte is still on the Team after his shenanigans maybe they see something in him Hmmmm.

The answer is simple, draft Harrison Jr at 3! He is the best player in the draft, tall, fast, great hands, instincts.

Let's try actually having someone who is not a JAG at WR. He instantly makes all those JAGs listed by the OP better.

The QBs are a crap shoot at best, none of them really excite me. Lets try having a playmaker.

Ladd McConkey screams Pats slot reciever, then I would triple or quadurple down and take Jerry Rice's kid and/or the other Mccaffery

Hmmm.. I believe AA is a player to watch.. I don't believe he's just a " try hard " player.. I believe he has the ability, the size, the athletic ability, instincts to play outside at a high level.. we have a pretty deep group of guys at CB that are young and just need to continue to develop they all got better last season for sure.. they were on the field so much they had to no choice.
I mean, I want my CB’s to be really fast and agile, he ran a 4.5 forty at the combine and did it again at his pro day. His agility drills were similar, good but not great.

Not for nothing but my tiny high school’s entire skill position group ran a 4.5 or better. That’s not slow, but it’s not fast either. He’s a pretty average athlete.

If he makes it, it will because of hard work, technique and brains…. not explosive athleticism. We’ll see…

Last edited:
Whatever we do, just spare me any more receivers who can't create separation but "win a lot of contested catches" I've had enough of that to last a lifetime

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back