PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wide Receiver - scouting the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mayock's views on the WR's the Pats could target.

Tackles to dominate early first round; Bryant a top-5 pick

" I think wide receiver comes into play a little bit with the second-round picks, and there's an awful lot of good receivers in the second round.

Tate or LaFell could be there. Mardy Gilyard. I like Eric Decker from Minnesota. Might get him cheap coming off the injury. Damian Williams, Jeremy Williams. That's a bunch of guys, second and third round, who could fit."

My official sleeper pick for the Draft - Scott Long, Louisville.

6'2", 216lbs, 41.5" vertical (best amongst WR's), 6.45 three cone (best amongst WR's), 10'3" Broad Jump, and 20 bench reps.

Only became a starter his senior year, and had a decent year (53 receptions 727 yards 2 TD's) despite the absolute disaster the Cardinals had at QB.

My notes on him from Sunday say "fluid, smooth, fast, long strider, cuts well, locates ball well, good hands."

NFL Draft Scout is projecting him as an FA right now, but don't be surprised to see us have a pop at him in Round 5 or so.

And keep your eyes on Emmanuel Sanders. Very productive for SMU last year (bare in mind their HC is June Jones), and looked very good in the drills on Sunday.

One more - David Gettis. Been a track star for Baylor, but has had some snaps at WR for the football team - looked very good during the drills although his hands weren't hot.

6'2", 216lbs, 41.5" vertical (best amongst WR's), 6.45 three cone (best amongst WR's), 10'3" Broad Jump, and 20 bench reps.

Only became a starter his senior year, and had a decent year (53 receptions 727 yards 2 TD's) despite the absolute disaster the Cardinals had at QB.

My notes on him from Sunday say "fluid, smooth, fast, long strider, cuts well, locates ball well, good hands."

NFL Draft Scout is projecting him as an FA right now, but don't be surprised to see us have a pop at him in Round 5 or so.

And keep your eyes on Emmanuel Sanders. Very productive for SMU last year (bare in mind their HC is June Jones), and looked very good in the drills on Sunday.

One more - David Gettis. Been a track star for Baylor, but has had some snaps at WR for the football team - looked very good during the drills although his hands weren't hot.
He had a horrible week at his All-Star game.

"Scott Long/Louisville; ran effective routes and practiced fast, outrunning many of the passes thrown to him. Extends and made the reception outside of his frame."

Combine Report: Wide Receivers

Last edited:
In-line speedy for certain. At 8 1/2" his hands are the smallest of any WR.

Combine Report: Wide Receivers

"Marcus Easley/Connecticut; long strider who displayed marginal quickness and no burst."

I'd seriously question that. He was the second best looking WR in the drills after Gilyard IMO.

I'd seriously question that. He was the second best looking WR in the drills after Gilyard IMO.

This is why I'd question that:

Mike Williams/Syracuse; shows no quickness in his game, very slow off the line, and has no burst. Picked it up as the session went along, but overall looked very uninspired.

Williams looked a stud out there. I like some of their descriptions, but some are way off IMVHO.

More on Long

"Scott Long of Louisville might have had one of the more impressive overall workouts he benched 225, 20 times, ran a 4.46 40 yard dash, had a 10 foot 3 inch broad jump and had the best vertical jump of the wide receiver group with 41.5 inches and the best 3-cone drill with 6.45."

NEXT in the NFL & NFL DRAFT: NFL Combine: WR Notes

Long and Gattis were projects I was looking at with the seventh round picks. I think Long has elevated himself significantly though. It wouldn't surprise me to see him go in the third.

I hope we can land Emmanuel Sanders with a late round pick. I really like this kid since the East-West Shrine Game and his workout numbers at the combine look really good. Explosive player (look at his vertical, broad jump, 40-yard dash) with good quickness (see his 3-cone drill, 20-yard shuttle).

Two guys I really like for us in the 2nd round: Arrelious Benn and Damian Williams.

I've made my case for Benn quite a few times. I think he's Anquan Boldin with better speed and love his physicality. I think he's an extremely good #2 WR across from Moss.

Damian Williams is another guy I followed fairly closely this season. I love the way this guy runs routes. He's not the biggest guy or the fastest guy and he looks pretty thin, but the guy is a ball player. The way he runs precise routes and finds ways to get open remind me very much of Reggie Wayne. I watched his interview with the guys on NFL Network and came away impressed. Seems to be a smart ball player, very well-spoken, and was well coached by Pete Carroll.

I like White. He's somebody to follow during the draft's 3rd day, esp. if a WR hasn't yet been taken.

Two guys I really like for us in the 2nd round: Arrelious Benn and Damian Williams.

I've made my case for Benn quite a few times. I think he's Anquan Boldin with better speed and love his physicality. I think he's an extremely good #2 WR across from Moss.

Damian Williams is another guy I followed fairly closely this season. I love the way this guy runs routes. He's not the biggest guy or the fastest guy and he looks pretty thin, but the guy is a ball player. The way he runs precise routes and finds ways to get open remind me very much of Reggie Wayne. I watched his interview with the guys on NFL Network and came away impressed. Seems to be a smart ball player, very well-spoken, and was well coached by Pete Carroll.

My favorite WRs for the Patriots system are Damian Williams, Benn, Andre Roberts

I like White. He's somebody to follow during the draft's 3rd day, esp. if a WR hasn't yet been taken.

How many quick-but-not-fast, "hands" guys can we carry on the roster? Pigmentation aside, he's got the same game as Welker and Edelman. I like him, just can't see drafting him when we need some speed at WR.

How many quick-but-not-fast, "hands" guys can we carry on the roster? Pigmentation aside, he's got the same game as Welker and Edelman. I like him, just can't see drafting him when we need some speed at WR.
Blair White, Michigan State, 6022 209, 31 1/2 arms 9 1/4 hands, 4.50/40, 18/225 reps, 4.03/ss, 11.07/ls, 6.6/3-cone

I'd say more Gaffney/D-Giv than Welker. :cool:

Blair White, Michigan State, 6022 209, 31 1/2 arms 9 1/4 hands, 4.50/40, 18/225 reps, 4.03/ss, 11.07/ls, 6.6/3-cone

I'd say more Gaffney/D-Giv than Welker. :cool:

I doubt either one of those guys were as quick in the shuttles or cones as White is. White is certainly bigger than Weldelman, but he seems to excel in the same areas. The 40 time actually shocks me.

I certainly hope you're right. We could use a guy like that in the later rounds. I like Gettis a bit better on his upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3