PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why was Pete Carroll fired anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parcells exit from the Patriots should be a disqualifier from the Pats HOF. It probably won’t be but it should.

Pete carol is not good. His personal hell should be a room with one million TVs watching butler pick off that last pass

Pete carol is not good. His personal hell should be a room with one million TVs watching butler pick off that last pass

I think the pass call was good but not THAT pass...

My first thought when I saw that was “what is spare time?”

If you and staff are at the facility you should be there to work. If you’ve got spare time use it to visit your family so they don’t have to depend on televised games to remember what you look like.
He was pretty young back then. Getting that work/life balance right is always difficult, especially if you're young, and already prone towards being a workaholic.

jeezus krist....why?????????????...Pete the Cleaner..."just gotta clean things up...clean things up" This idiot took a playoff team and in 3 years ran it into a team in his third season that came out of a halftime IN Foxboro midway through the season and had THREE CONSECUTIVE "too many men on the field" penalties. WHY DID HE GET FIRED???????????? Really? Some of you LIVED through this and still question why?
Love you buddy, but the fact is that Pete got a really raw deal here. He was doomed from the start. One because he wasn't Parcells, so the media ripped him even when the team did well. 2, because he had little say in the draft and was the recipient of three of the worst drafts in Patriot history. Which left him with a group of talented starters, but little to no depth. 3. He got hit with a lot of key injuries and didn't have the depth to survive them.

Then there was the fact that the 8-8 season the got him fired, could have been a 10-6 playoff team had not Adam Veniteri hadn't clanged 2 end of the game makeable FG's that would have won or tied the game. Think about it. For all the great clutch FG's Adam made during his stay here, perhaps his greatest contribution to the Pats organization were those two MISSES that sealed Pete's fate in NE

Of course Bill is the GOAT of professional football coaches. NO one has had a 20 year run as great as his time in NE and no matter what the circumstances were that got him here as a HC, we, as fans, were blessed to have him. HOWEVER the fact that Carroll is not Bill Bellichick, doesn't make him a bad football coach. He is a great football coach. A coach who has had consistent success in BOTH the college and professional arenas of the game.

Love you buddy, but the fact is that Pete got a really raw deal here. He was doomed from the start. One because he wasn't Parcells, so the media ripped him even when the team did well. 2, because he had little say in the draft and was the recipient of three of the worst drafts in Patriot history. Which left him with a group of talented starters, but little to no depth. 3. He got hit with a lot of key injuries and didn't have the depth to survive them.

Then there was the fact that the 8-8 season the got him fired, could have been a 10-6 playoff team had not Adam Veniteri hadn't clanged 2 end of the game makeable FG's that would have won or tied the game. Think about it. For all the great clutch FG's Adam made during his stay here, perhaps his greatest contribution to the Pats organization were those two MISSES that sealed Pete's fate in NE

Of course Bill is the GOAT of professional football coaches. NO one has had a 20 year run as great as his time in NE and no matter what the circumstances were that got him here as a HC, we, as fans, were blessed to have him. HOWEVER the fact that Carroll is not Bill Bellichick, doesn't make him a bad football coach. He is a great football coach. A coach who has had consistent success in BOTH the college and professional arenas of the game.
Agree to disagree. My memory is of a continual decline every year culminating in the team basically giving up in the second half of the 1999 season. I think everyone felt Pete was done then.

Parcells exit from the Patriots should be a disqualifier from the Pats HOF. It probably won’t be but it should.
Parcells greatest skill as a HC was getting quality assistants into his program. His 2nd greatest skill was his way with the media. He was a consummate self promoter, Great quotes made for easy stories. Curran's comments bear this out. His 3rd greats skill was that he was an excellent builder of bad teams. He succeeded with teams that had a long history of failure so they had a lot of early draft picks. Then he would mold that talent into a quality team with great coaching from his assistants.

But his was a voice that had a short life span with teams. After a few years his teams would start tuning him out, His 4th best skill is that he was self aware enough to know that. So Parcells would be looking for his next gig, very soon after he had started his current one. His longest stay was with the Giants and there were a couple of time he tried to get out of that gig. We all know about his time with the Pats and Jets, but his stays in Miami and Dallas were equally short.

As for Parcells getting into the Pats HOF, I'm hoping like hell that THAT doesn't happen. And I wish those media whores who long for those easy press conferences with him, who stop nominating him already. He doesn't belong.....PERIOD. He was a .500 coach who quite on his team to get what he thought was a better job. Those are NOT the kind of credentials that should get you into any team's HOF. Remember the Pats weren't perennial losers like the Jets. At least once a decade there would be 2 or 3 good teams that either got to the SB or should have got there (FU Ben Drieth)

So what Parcells did in the 90's wasn't some kind of new experience. Chuck Fairbanks did it in the 70's and Ray Berry did it in the 80's. Either of those 2 guys have a better claim to our HOF that the mercenary that was Bill Parcells.

Agree to disagree. My memory is of a continual decline every year culminating in the team basically giving up in the second half of the 1999 season. I think everyone felt Pete was done then.
Don;t disagree with you that there was a continual decline those 3 years, but it certainly wasn't all his fault. His GM was at cross purposes with him his entire time in NE. So Pete was basically stuck with the horrid drafts and FA acquisitions that were provided for him by a VERY poor GM.

Listen, I'm not saying that Kraft didn't do the right thing in letting Pete go in order to get Bill. I just bridle at the notion that he sucked as a coach, when we have 20 years of him have great terms at USC and Seattle.

100% correct, Ken...it was a team effort that led to the demise of that Pats team....Grier certainly was abominable and Kraft played into the lack of discipline with his "open door" policy....but that face after every freakin' loss....chewing gum and droning on "just gotta clean things up...clean things up".

Boy once the Pats get inside the 5, it is going to be really, REALLY hard to defend Cam. Just too many places they can go.

BTW- I think he got in the first tiime

Pats caught a break on that one. I would have thought they'd go for it.

The defense improved a BIT on that series, but can't rely on Seattle penalties to lenthen the yard sticks. Has to get better

1996 (Parcells) - 11-5
1997 (Carroll) - 10-6
1998 (Carroll) - 9-7
1999 (Carroll) - 8-8

That's why. Declining results every year. And Belichick being available-ish doomed him.

Misleading. Tuna started off with nothing and made the team relevant. BB's first year the team went 5-11 with (mostly) Pete's players
...and lax environment. BB put the hammer down in '01. I think he didn't really implement the Parcells cultcha in Cleveland. He got pissed here.

Plus he figured his job was on the line...

pretty expensive game for Pete last sunday nite

the team became a soft, undisciplined team. it seemed the team declined every year from the foundation Parcells built in his few years here.
This is what i remember. The team went from a disciplinarian to a 'players coach' the team got sloppy an undisciplined. It was even said that he used a spray water bottle on the players to make it look like he was working them hard. I dont remember details about missed field goals costing games, but the spray bottle was so bizarre it stuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News