PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Tyrod Taylor is Turning Heads (ESPN)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I truly have not seen anything like Tyrod Taylor. He may be the greatest quarterback ever to play the game. How on Earth is the NFL, let alone the Patriots, going to stop this absolute monster?

I truly have not seen anything like Tyrod Taylor. He may be the greatest quarterback ever to play the game. How on Earth is the NFL, let alone the Patriots, going to stop this absolute monster?
No reason to get snarky man. Just sharing information and to be fair, you all have not had a to face a real QB in Buffalo forever. The list is very non-impressive.

I think i'll pass.

Also not sure why a fluff piece on a guy from a different team that had 1 good game against a **** defense is being posted in the Pats forum. Isn't there a sub-forum for fans of other teams to talk about their team?

No reason to get snarky man. Just sharing information and to be fair, you all have not had a to face a real QB in Buffalo forever. The list is very non-impressive.
Taylor has been in the NFL for five seasons. He's starting in Bufflo because the other options were Matt Cassel and EJ Manuel. He's played in one game against a Charmin soft team with a trash defense. And, based on the limited amount of snaps he's taken, you've bandied around here saying that he's going to be a franchise quarterback for many years to come when, for all we know, he's the second coming of Mark Sanchez.

You are just asking for it with starting this post. He has started ONE game and you are acting like he's a lock as the QB of the future now. It is well known that Taylor is the Bills weak link and that if they had a good QB, they would truly be Super Bowl contenders.

Let's see how he performs once teams have some actual game tape on him before we crown the guy. It's entirely possible that he's really good and just didn't get a platform to showcase it until now. Not ruling that out at all, he would be far from the first person to experience that kind of career trajectory.

But for every example of that, there are plenty of examples of guys who were great for a few weeks, then once there was some tape on them their narrow range of capability was taken away and they were back to looking like crap. Considering how many of Taylor's highlights in week 1 were by design simple, quick, one-read plays, I'm curious to see how he'll adjust once those plays start being taken away. Because they will be taken away; you can't succeed as an NFL QB without learning to make your reads. Colin Kaepernick a couple years back is probably the high water mark for where you can get as a QB without developing that basic capability. Maybe Taylor is ready to take that step. Can't rule that out. But we haven't seen yet, either way.

FWIW, I'm expecting him to play well on Sunday. Belichick defenses historically don't do well against mobile QBs with great escapability, or against young QBs without much game tape. Belichick's single greatest strength is breaking down game tape and finding weaknesses to exploit, so if there's no tape to break down he basically can't do what he does best. Without that, I expect Taylor to look good in this game. But what really interests me is how he'll look when the Bills come to Foxboro.

Last edited:
Look at all the heads he turned on this play.

p5p9j.gif

The heads of the entire Baltimore offensive unit as they looked back after he fumbled, that is.

He just has not started much as a PRO.

And you have to realize how homeristic and outright silly this is. As if every guy whose ever played in the NFL did not start in college. I've seen you bring up Taylor's college success in another thread. Big whoop! That means nothing, absolutely nothing. There are hundreds of free agent QBs sitting around who starred at QB in college, often breaking school records.

The overrating of Taylor the last week has been amazing. Yes, he had a good game, but he did stare down his first read a lot and the Colts still gave him that read. He barely ever checked down and when his first read wasn't there he just took off running a lot. He also forced it to his first read several times.

I still want to see how he does when someone keeps him in the pocket and forces him to go to his second or third read more often. The Colts were horrible on defense last Sunday. A better defense could give Taylor fits.

I watched the Indy game fairly closely last night and in the words of GSP I was not impressed by his performance. Stares down the primary, if the primary is not there he gets on his horse and tries to play backyard ball. Standard young mobile QB game. We see guys like this flash early every year then fizzle out. Indy is just garbage defensively. The Patriots have a standard scheme for beating guys like Taylor.

They are going to keep him in the pocket. The ends will contain their rush and the tackles will stay at home. They will play zone, take away the primary read and force him to sit in the pocket and patiently go through his progressions and sustain a drive. Once they have him doing what they want, they will start disguising their coverages and forcing poor decisions. If Taylor is going to have a big day it will because he will be playing pocket QB at a high level which I do not think he is capable of doing. I do think Buffalo is going to be a tough out, but it won't be because Taylor is going to turn it into a track meet with his passing.

Just like how EJ Manual was going to be good for a long time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down