PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the hell did we not try harder to keep TB12?

Why do people keep using the word "keep"? You cannot keep someone on your team when they negotiate a contract that guarantees they would be a free agent. Brady's last contract voided on the first day of free agency and had a clause prohibiting the Patriots from applying the Franchise Tag.

You cannot keep someone who is already gone.

The fact is, nobody on this forum has any idea how hard anyone associated with the Pats "tried."

It is very simple.
BB and Kraft misjudged the situation.
They are human and do not get every decision right.
Kraft wanted to keep Brady, but BB runs the team. Krafts choices were to be a mini Jerry Jones and intervene likely losing BB or let BB do his job.

BB was tired of Brady. Bradys night job will always be the supposed Fountain of Youth -TB12. Its confirmed that Gronk bought in and lost weight, but he looks like an old broken down TE today if you ask me. Bradys trainer had to be booted off the team plane for practicing his TB12 voodoo medicine on the team. BB already has a medical and training staff. Nutritionist and everything.

Thus far Kraft was right. If Brady implodes this weekend in Green Bay or in the Super Bowl then BB was right.

1. The Pats had about fifty bucks of cap space.

2. The Pats did try to get Brady weapons. They signed Antonio Brown. They drafted a WR in the first round. They traded for Sanu ( Brady's choice).

3. They went to four of the last six Super Bowls and won three.

4. Because of cap space management, free agent signings, coaching and etc etc... the Pats have had a unprecedented twenty year run resulting in 13 AFCCG appearances, 9 Super Bowl appearances and Six wins.

5. Belichick and Brady were together Six years longer than the next successful tandem. Six years. They got tired of each other?

6. For whatever reason, and I don't care what the reason was, their relationship soured. They got divorced.

7. The cap space was a factor. Did BB have some poor drafts? Yes. But did he try to surround Brady with weapons? Yes he did.

Not aiming this at the OP but WTF.

What a bunch of whiny sniveling twits.

If you're *****ing and are.....

Over 40 - phuck off. You've never had a better twenty year ride in your life. And half of you probably got married and divorced during the ride.

30 - 40 - phuck off. You're too young to realize that you had the best ride of your life. And half of you are probably filing for divorce after ten years of marriage.

20-30. -. Phuck off. You were born into a dynasty and was fed great moment after great moment with the proverbial golden spoon. What a bunch of spoiled pink hats.

10-20. - There's still hope for you. Slap your pink hat dad a couple of times for me. Will you?

BB built a playoff team in Cleveland. He built the Patriots into a Dynasty and he'll build them up again. No doubt in my mind.

I truly don't understand this "who was more valuable" bull shyt because the answer is they both supplied us an incredible twenty year run.

I love both Brady and BB. I'm enjoying watching Brady do his thing down in Tampa and I'm enjoying watching BB rebuilding the Pats.

Will he rebuild the Pats to what they were over the last twenty years? No. It's impossible. The BB/TB dynamic has only happened once in NFL history. It was special. Will BB rebuild the Pats into playoff contenders? Absolutely.
4udk0i.gif[IMG]

4udk0i.gif

It was time. Did you want 2 more years of 2019? Because thats the best case scenario barring an incredible offseason , and Brady would have to not decline this offseason. Since 2019:
A) we have lost collins, harmon, van noy, shelton for good. Watson too, as limited as he was still leaps and bounds better than what we have. Lost Hightower, chung, cannon, Edelman for this year., maybe for good. Couple more key guys have declined (simon, jmc)
B) we no longer have that creampuff schedule that we rode to 12 wins
C) Buffalo is an elite team now

And we’ve added.... philllips, onwenu, and a couple other solid rookies.

This team was going nowhere with or without Brady. May as well begin the rebuild

2. The Pats did try to get Brady weapons. They signed Antonio Brown. They drafted a WR in the first round. They traded for Sanu ( Brady's choice).

4. Because of cap space management, free agent signings, coaching and etc etc... the Pats have had a unprecedented twenty year run resulting in 13 AFCCG appearances, 9 Super Bowl appearances and Six wins.

5. Belichick and Brady were together Six years longer than the next successful tandem. Six years. They got tired of each other?

6. For whatever reason, and I don't care what the reason was, their relationship soured. They got divorced.

7. The cap space was a factor. Did BB have some poor drafts? Yes. But did he try to surround Brady with weapons? Yes he did.

Over 40 - phuck off. You've never had a better twenty year ride in your life. And half of you probably got married and divorced during the ride.

30 - 40 - phuck off. You're too young to realize that you had the best ride of your life. And half of you are probably filing for divorce after ten years of marriage.

20-30. -. Phuck off. You were born into a dynasty and was fed great moment after great moment with the proverbial golden spoon. What a bunch of spoiled pink hats.

10-20. - There's still hope for you. Slap your pink hat dad a couple of times for me. Will you?

BB built a playoff team in Cleveland. He built the Patriots into a Dynasty and he'll build them up again. No doubt in my mind.

I truly don't understand this "who was more valuable" bull shyt because the answer is they both supplied us an incredible twenty year run.

I love both Brady and BB. I'm enjoying watching Brady do his thing down in Tampa and I'm enjoying watching BB rebuilding the Pats.

Will he rebuild the Pats to what they were over the last twenty years? No. It's impossible. The BB/TB dynamic has only happened once in NFL history. It was special. Will BB rebuild the Pats into playoff contenders? Absolutely.
fekkin' A. well said.

I think :

Outside sources influenced Brady. Pure speculation, but is it hard to imagine a text from Manning or Gronk that reads Dude, just go. You can have a say. You don't need to stay there and be miserable. You can have input. ?? We know he made the I'm just the QB comment. Perhaps he wanted to change the nature of the relationship and was rebuffed. He has more in common with coaches than kids fresh out of college. As he said, he knows the answers to the test. I am sure he wanted to help teach, and was told to shut up in some form, which is why we get the I just work here schtick.

Belichick's iron fist control would grow old. Just my opinion, but as he grew and aged, he grew apart from Bill because Bill didn't want to change the nature of the relationship. His way works, he's not about to change for anyone. Not for Lawrence Taylor and not for Tom Brady.

1. If the Pats wanted to keep Brady they could have.
2. Brady's favorite weapon was dumped for the owner's PR.
3. Players play and coaches coach.
4. All of their success came with Brady at the most important position.
5. Brady was hoping to stay.
6. If there was a divorce then the wrong person got the house. ;)
7. Trying isn't enough of an excuse for the players.

Over 40 by a lot, and it was indeed a great run, but I was willing to stay with the QB who brought us there, even with the warts.

My kids are 30-40 and happily married with no signs of trouble. They're only wish, just like mine, is that Brady had finished his career here.

I feel bad for the 20-30 crowd. Check out /The Social Dilemma and you'll see why.

10-20 is where my granddaughter is at and she has no interest in sports. Her goal is to become an artist.

I can only hope that I live long enough to see another Pats run, but even if I don't I'm content with what we've been given by, as you say, both of them.

Thus far Kraft was right. If Brady implodes this weekend in Green Bay or in the Super Bowl then BB was right.
This is a preposterous take. No matter what happens from here both Kraft and BB have already made a huge mistake. No star in the history of the game has ever shined as bright, in his 20's, 30's or 40's. The fact that he didn't finish his career here, no matter the record, is a disgrace.

To pit Patriots fans against each other on fan blogs. Some hating Brady with others hating Belichick. Obviously

It was time. Did you want 2 more years of 2019? Because thats the best case scenario barring an incredible offseason , and Brady would have to not decline this offseason. Since 2019:
A) we have lost collins, harmon, van noy, shelton for good. Watson too, as limited as he was still leaps and bounds better than what we have. Lost Hightower, chung, cannon, Edelman for this year., maybe for good. Couple more key guys have declined (simon, jmc)
B) we no longer have that creampuff schedule that we rode to 12 wins
C) Buffalo is an elite team now

And we’ve added.... philllips, onwenu, and a couple other solid rookies.

This team was going nowhere with or without Brady. May as well begin the rebuild
As Jules Winnfield said to Brett, allow me to retort.

The odds are that Brady would have been an improvement, but no matter what the record I wanted Brady to finish his career here. He more than earned that.

A) None of the players you mentioned played QB, the most important position in football. The funny thing is, the only time we did change a QB it was to go from Bledsoe to Brady. The Brady to Newton move didn't work out so well.
B) A tougher schedule is even more reason to have a better QB.
C) They came close to taking down Seattle, Buffalo and KC this year. Imagine what they could have done with an actual QB.

There's no better way to start a rebuild than with the greatest QB in the history of the game, who still looks pretty good, even at 43.

To pit Patriots fans against each other on fan blogs. Some hating Brady with others hating Belichick. Obviously
There are very few fans who hate either of them. If there are they're fools.

This was a great post, thank you!!!!!

people need to stop extrapolating what brady is doing in tampa with what he would do in new england. With our lack of offensive talent we likely are worse than last year and get bounced in the Wildcard game again with brady struggling. instead brady is on one of the most talented rosters in the NFL with a kings ransom at receivers.

Now, that doesnt absolve Bill/Kraft from misjudging the situation. its okay if you move on from Brady if you have another guy in the wings. like when the colts went from Manning to Luck. But the Patriots lowballed brady while they had NOTHING in the wings. absolutely nothing. Who cares if Brady goes downhill like Drew Brees and you go down in the wildcard game looking washed up. its no different than going 7-9 with cam newton throwing balls into the ground. You literally are right where you are right now.
Except with Brady you kick 14-16 million dead money down the road another year. You probably lose Thuney so the run game isn’t as good just to bring in 2-3 washed up “weapons” that may or may not work out so Brady doesn’t sulk. It’s ok to wish some draft picks and signings had worked out better but in the end it is what it is and BB’s methods and decision making process is sound.

Yoko couldn't spend one more day living in a region where women still perm their hair like it was the 1950's

This is a preposterous take. No matter what happens from here both Kraft and BB have already made a huge mistake. No star in the history of the game has ever shined as bright, in his 20's, 30's or 40's. The fact that he didn't finish his career here, no matter the record, is a disgrace.
Nope

If Brady fails it proves BB right that it was time to move on. Brady has everything he asked for in Tampa. No excuses.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back