PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why the hell did we not try harder to keep TB12?

Redman443

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I remember at this time last year, we were talking about if Brady had regressed passed a point of no return. The answer is a resounding no, the roster in 2019 was full of scrubs on offense with an injured Edelman. Brady now has AB,Evans, Godwin and Gronk back and his completion percentage rose from 60% to 65% and he has thrown 40 touchdown passes this year. Colin Cowherd said it best, Rivers Brees and Ben look old but Brady is still playing great and defying time. If Bill had agreed to try and get some more weapons on offense, maybe TB would have accepted less money to stay in NE.

He was fed up carrying the entire load for Josh McDaniels. No good players after Gronk left and Edelman's knee. NKeal Harry and Sanu bust. Basically zero talent development on offense with McDaniels. Brady chose to go.

I remember at this time last year, we were talking about if Brady had regressed passed a point of no return. The answer is a resounding no, the roster in 2019 was full of scrubs on offense with an injured Edelman. Brady now has AB,Evans, Godwin and Gronk back and his completion percentage rose from 60% to 65% and he has thrown 40 touchdown passes this year. Colin Cowherd said it best, Rivers Brees and Ben look old but Brady is still playing great and defying time. If Bill had agreed to try and get some more weapons on offense, maybe TB would have accepted less money to stay in NE.

1. The Pats had about fifty bucks of cap space.

2. The Pats did try to get Brady weapons. They signed Antonio Brown. They drafted a WR in the first round. They traded for Sanu ( Brady's choice).

3. They went to four of the last six Super Bowls and won three.

4. Because of cap space management, free agent signings, coaching and etc etc... the Pats have had a unprecedented twenty year run resulting in 13 AFCCG appearances, 9 Super Bowl appearances and Six wins.

5. Belichick and Brady were together Six years longer than the next successful tandem. Six years. They got tired of each other?

6. For whatever reason, and I don't care what the reason was, their relationship soured. They got divorced.

7. The cap space was a factor. Did BB have some poor drafts? Yes. But did he try to surround Brady with weapons? Yes he did.

Not aiming this at the OP but WTF.

What a bunch of whiny sniveling twits.

If you're *****ing and are.....

Over 40 - phuck off. You've never had a better twenty year ride in your life. And half of you probably got married and divorced during the ride.

30 - 40 - phuck off. You're too young to realize that you had the best ride of your life. And half of you are probably filing for divorce after ten years of marriage.

20-30. -. Phuck off. You were born into a dynasty and was fed great moment after great moment with the proverbial golden spoon. What a bunch of spoiled pink hats.

10-20. - There's still hope for you. Slap your pink hat dad a couple of times for me. Will you?

BB built a playoff team in Cleveland. He built the Patriots into a Dynasty and he'll build them up again. No doubt in my mind.

I truly don't understand this "who was more valuable" bull shyt because the answer is they both supplied us an incredible twenty year run.

I love both Brady and BB. I'm enjoying watching Brady do his thing down in Tampa and I'm enjoying watching BB rebuilding the Pats.

Will he rebuild the Pats to what they were over the last twenty years? No. It's impossible. The BB/TB dynamic has only happened once in NFL history. It was special. Will BB rebuild the Pats into playoff contenders? Absolutely.

He was fed up carrying the entire load for Josh McDaniels. No good players after Gronk left and Edelman's knee. NKeal Harry and Sanu bust. Basically zero talent development on offense with McDaniels. Brady chose to go.

He was tired of wearing three more rings?

Your anti Mcdaniels schtick is growing old.

Harry, Dropset, Gordon, Meyers. No TE.

You would leave too.

1. The Pats had about fifty bucks of cap space.

2. The Pats did try to get Brady weapons. They signed Antonio Brown. They drafted a WR in the first round. They traded for Sanu ( Brady's choice).

3. They went to four of the last six Super Bowls and won three.

4. Because of cap space management, free agent signings, coaching and etc etc... the Pats have had a unprecedented twenty year run resulting in 13 AFCCG appearances, 9 Super Bowl appearances and Six wins.

5. Belichick and Brady were together Six years longer than the next successful tandem. Six years. They got tired of each other?

6. For whatever reason, and I don't care what the reason was, their relationship soured. They got divorced.

7. The cap space was a factor. Did BB have some poor drafts? Yes. But did he try to surround Brady with weapons? Yes he did.

Not aiming this at the OP but WTF.

What a bunch of whiny sniveling twits.

If you're *****ing and are.....

Over 40 - phuck off. You've never had a better twenty year ride in your life. And half of you probably got married and divorced during the ride.

30 - 40 - phuck off. You're too young to realize that you had the best ride of your life. And half of you are probably filing for divorce after ten years of marriage.

20-30. -. Phuck off. You were born into a dynasty and was fed great moment after great moment with the proverbial golden spoon. What a bunch of spoiled pink hats.

10-20. - There's still hope for you. Slap your pink hat dad a couple of times for me. Will you?

BB built a playoff team in Cleveland. He built the Patriots into a Dynasty and he'll build them up again. No doubt in my mind.

I truly don't understand this "who was more valuable" bull shyt because the answer is they both supplied us an incredible twenty year run.

I love both Brady and BB. I'm enjoying watching Brady do his thing down in Tampa and I'm enjoying watching BB rebuilding the Pats.

Will he rebuild the Pats to what they were over the last twenty years? No. It's impossible. The BB/TB dynamic has only happened once in NFL history. It was special. Will BB rebuild the Pats into playoff contenders? Absolutely.

Great post.

I think this is a really overlooked aspect of it, and it becomes more important when they both realize they’re probably not championship contenders any time soon. 20 years...Jesus. These types of partnerships are not supposed to last that long in professional sports. Neither of them have to be blamed for the way it ended.

Though I would add: if there’s an unsalvageable relationship problem between the two, then the owner must choose which one to continue with. The idea that Bill would be there “many years” and that it isn’t even a debate because Brady of Brady’s age/abilities...seems pretty foolish right now. Bill is 68. Total rebuild? He’ll likely be 70 before even getting a chance to do what Brady is doing now, which is contending for a championship. And that’s not guaranteed.

Let’s be honest...Kraft surely loves Brady and wanted to keep him, but he‘s also bought into the idea that it’s somewhat of a 1/3 Brady, 1/3 Belichick, 1/3 Kraft himself success pie that the media has parroted. Maybe not that extreme, but the idea that The Patriot Way is an organizational thing that can outsmart and outdo the entire league. I really got the sense Kraft felt that Brady was acting desperate and that Brady’s end was imminent...and that Brady should retire to save his legacy. Just my hunch. If that’s the case, this has to be a totally unexpected kick to the balls in how its playing out in reverse.

Technically when Gronk left was when he was on the decline, other than Jules he had absolutely no one to throw. Brady kept giving the hometown discount and kept restructuring his contract to bring in talent and they just wouldn’t in his final year. After AB was let go of that was the final nail in the coffin and we know BB can be headstrong, I heard about drama with Brady’s personal trainer, so there have been few things that Brady didn’t like in his final few years. If Brady says the reason he has been playing at the top of his game because of his personal trainer and the diet he is on then I totally believe him because he is playing better than 90% of the league QB’s.

Lol give him the damn two year deal when he wanted it and he’d be here

I am so tired of this argument. What do you do when you have an older QB who needs some help? Get him an offensive line and a strong run game so he only has to make 10-15 money throws a game not 30-40. Make sure the defense is solid and creates turnovers so they only have to score 20 not 30+ to win games. Right or wrong you can disagree with specific players BB choose but the method, 1st round O line man, 1st round RB, 1st round WR, bringing in AB trading a 2nd for WR, building the boogie men....all of that was BB trying to make it work. He used a lot of cap space and kicked Brady’s 14 million cap charge down the road for years. All of that came due this year so Brady on this team or not anyone who thinks the Pats would have been in the AFC championship cuz that’s all Brady does is crazy. Both of them made it work for 20 years and that’s just incredible, enjoy the unprecedented and never to be repeated lottery ticket of sports fandom we already won and the rebuild I know BB is capable of working out.

Last edited:
It is very simple.
BB and Kraft misjudged the situation.
They are human and do not get every decision right.
To me, I think BB is a bit uneasy with Brady and his methods of "nutrition" , Alex etc. BB and Brady were both tired of each other. What is going on Tampa is a mirage and not sustainable, people are seeing relative success and are reading too much into things. Outside 4 games, Brady has been lucky and that luck will run out this weekend.

To me, I think BB is a bit uneasy with Brady and his methods of "nutrition" , Alex etc. BB and Brady were both tired of each other. What is going on Tampa is a mirage and not sustainable, people are seeing relative success and are reading too much into things. Outside 4 games, Brady has been lucky and that luck will run out this weekend.
You sound like all the idiots who used to say that when Brady was on the Pats it was luck, the system, Belichick pulling the strings....You’d think after watching the guy for 20 years you’d know it’s not luck

Because we would have been exactly in the same spot we are this year and were last year just with an even more disgruntled QB and another 1-2 years of cap debt pushed down the line and no flexibility to built around him.

Brady got to go ring chasing with a stacked team and BB got to reset the salary cap situation after going all in year after year so the Pats are actually building up instead of tearing down this offseason. Seems like a win/win to me.

people need to stop extrapolating what brady is doing in tampa with what he would do in new england. With our lack of offensive talent we likely are worse than last year and get bounced in the Wildcard game again with brady struggling. instead brady is on one of the most talented rosters in the NFL with a kings ransom at receivers.

Now, that doesnt absolve Bill/Kraft from misjudging the situation. its okay if you move on from Brady if you have another guy in the wings. like when the colts went from Manning to Luck. But the Patriots lowballed brady while they had NOTHING in the wings. absolutely nothing. Who cares if Brady goes downhill like Drew Brees and you go down in the wildcard game looking washed up. its no different than going 7-9 with cam newton throwing balls into the ground. You literally are right where you are right now.

Brady would have struggled with us this year. No te or Edelman would have been brutal. He wouldn't throw the ball to Meyers and Harry sucks.

James White had a horrible year in life. 2020 just didn't seem like it was in the cards for us no matter how you slice it.

Nothing has changed. This is how it was supposed to play out.

Pats had a roster that needed a rebuild. Brady is an old qb who was not part of that rebuild.

so it made sense for the Pats to move on.

made sense for the Brady to go to a place where he could win.

now we’re rebuilding and Brady is in the nfc championship game and everyone wants to make it seem like we made a huge mistake. No people, this is how it was supposed to play out.

Very simply. We were in cap hell after chasing rings and we weren't able to improve the team and signing Brady would have forced us to make cuts to further hurt the team and it would only be for two or three years where there is no guarantee that we will get back to being competetive in that timeframe. We would have been wasting Brady's time and our own. Gordon, Matthews, AB, Britt, Thomas, Sanu all didn't work out in the last several years. We weren't in a position to get anybody to imrpove and adding Brady to the mix guaranteed we'd cut someone of value to keep him.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Back