PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why so little success with IR players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

willard

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
As we approach final cut downs, it is likely a binky or two will go to IR. Could this be Cre'von LeBlanc's year?

Ben Watson is often mentioned as a rookie who went to IR and later returned as a valuable player, but he was a first round pick so it alters things a bit. If Gaffney makes an impact this year he will be the first player with little/no NFL experience I remember working out.

Many of the players I had hopes for thinking we had such a deep team that it would be ok to stash them on IR and next year boy ..... But time and again these players just seem to fad away.

Other squads must do better than us. I mean Bill likes to play the house in games of black jack with the rest of the league. He knows over time the economics of how he plays will leading to him winning versus the rest of the league.

IR seems different (although I don't follow football closely enough to know for sure). We have a very poor return on injured rookies. Is it that our roster is so deep and thus difficult to make or is there something else?

It isn't something that is only true here. When San Francisco was starting to build its new force under harbaugh, they began loading up on draftable players with lingering injuries since there roster had gotten so deep. Fast forward three years and I can't think of one of those guys that worked out for them.

Long story short, it's incredibly difficult to make it in the NFL. It's even more difficult if you miss important development time when you join. If you are a mid-level prospect to begin with, it makes it near impossible.

Well if that is the case why invest the resources. I mean it is more than just the money, it is also all the support folks who interact with the injured player.

Ben Watson was a first round pick. Most of the other rookies we've "stashed" on IR were UDFAs or low round picks. Just as simple as that.

Well if that is the case why invest the resources. I mean it is more than just the money, it is also all the support folks who interact with the injured player.

Can't cut an injured player basically. Unless you give them an injury settlement. If he's really hurt, it's active roster, IR, or injury settlement.

This is why "stashing" doesn't exist -- because it's awful for a young player's development.

Most rookies (1st-round athletic freaks like Watson aside) are marginal talents whose careers could go either way. A year of excellent coaching and hard work in practice can send them one way, a year spent spinning their wheels, banished from the practice field can send them the other. Just ask Daryl Roberts.

Can't cut an injured player basically. Unless you give them an injury settlement. If he's really hurt, it's active roster, IR, or injury settlement.

...and players are never required to accept an injury settlement. They only do it because they're desperate to get back on the field ASAP rather than sit on IR and watch their career prospects shrivel.

As we approach final cut downs, it is likely a binky or two will go to IR. Could this be Cre'von LeBlanc's year?

Ben Watson is often mentioned as a rookie who went to IR and later returned as a valuable player, but he was a first round pick so it alters things a bit. If Gaffney makes an impact this year he will be the first player with little/no NFL experience I remember working out.

Many of the players I had hopes for thinking we had such a deep team that it would be ok to stash them on IR and next year boy ..... But time and again these players just seem to fad away.

Other squads must do better than us. I mean Bill likes to play the house in games of black jack with the rest of the league. He knows over time the economics of how he plays will leading to him winning versus the rest of the league.

IR seems different (although I don't follow football closely enough to know for sure). We have a very poor return on injured rookies. Is it that our roster is so deep and thus difficult to make or is there something else?
Rookies who are not involved in football for an entire season do but progress they regress. A rare few can overcome.
Belichick doesn't stash players on IR. There is simply no value in taking a young player who has never played at this level and asking him to go away from football for a year and expect he will improve.

I'm not sure what makes you think other teams have success with it.

You might also ask, "Why so little success with rookies?" Most of them flame out, even the highly drafted players thought by the pros to have the best odds. I have not seen any data to suggest those placed on IR fare any differently than comparable players not placed on IR.

All of what everyone is saying makes sense. I think Mack Herron's point could be potentially tested. Compare drafted IR rookies to success rate of other rookies in the same round.

Gaffney was definitely intentionally stashed on IR as we acquired him on waivers knowing his condition.

Last edited:
How many players come back from missing a complete 16 game season let alone a low drafted or UFA rookie with no NFL experience?

Basic laws of nature:

If you're made of glass, you're gonna break ....Easley/Dowling.

Aging players slow down

But it is also written .....Only TB12 can defy these laws

LeBlanc will go to IR. Swag Roberts will make the roster and next season, when Logan Ryan is in some football hell but with overpaid monies, LeBlanc can settle in.

That's my prediction. And LeBlanc will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes