PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why Mingo Will Do Well Here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides being a hard worker here the main difference is BB will never ask him to do something he is not capable of. It is clear why Mingo was a top draft pick. His talent jumps off the screen but I question whether he will ever be a complete player. I doubt he can get the full skill set needed to be a 4 down guy and preform all aspects of a single position well.

If you ask Mingo to do the things he does well though he can dominate. If he gives you 1 game changing play a game as a role player which he might be very well able to do then that is a huge gain.

If he succeeds, it's probably going to be because the oft-maligned D.C. finds a way to keep him clean and protected from bigger players, and that combines with him showing a better ability to cover.
Patricia is oft-maligned? Maybe in 2011 or 2012 but not really now. I think he has the confidence of the fans who actually watch games thoughtfully.

Maybe there aren't many of them so their voices are drowned out by the 98.5 crew

His A gap blitz last night was lightning fast and downright scary.

And he was winning off the edge against a tackle, who should have been called for holding on more than one play.

He's going to do just fine here...

Its only one game but his instincts looked pretty good to me.
The complaints from Browns fans were his strength, tackling and lack of instincts. That's not to say they're right but that's what was said.

The complaints from Browns fans were his strength, tackling and lack of instincts. That's not to say they're right but that's what was said.

Yep. I'm not sure who they were watching.

Last night he was Lawrence Taylor.

That water from Lake Erie can play funny tricks on the eyes.

In all seriousness I know he did not look good most of the time there.

Mingo is the solution to problematic idea that Jonathan Freeney was going to backfill Jerod Mayo.
Mingo n mayo r totally different players. More appropriately is mayo/Hightower, Collins/Mingo

My god. Kyed is better than that

If they get their hands on him hes done. 1st step is critical.
I don't know if I've ever seen a player more reliant on momentum than him. When he has running start he's damn near impossible to block, if they stop his momentum he's cooked. That's why it was obvious to Bill that he should be an LB in space.

67332484.jpg

See I don't think Mingo is an inside the hashes guy. Hes certainly excellent in pursuit on the backside but Freeny is a bigger player more geared to be on the inside.

Mingo n mayo r totally different players. More appropriately is mayo/Hightower, Collins/Mingo

Yes, Mingo is decidedly more like Collins in his makeup. Here's the thing: the game has changed since the year when Mayo was drafted to anchor our LB corp. Collins and Mingo are the future at the position as the NFL becomes more pass oriented, and the power running game becomes increasingly marginalized. The days of the big interior thumper, like Ted Johnson and Brandon Spikes and Jerod Mayo (and Jonathan Freeney) are gone... Freeney is a shadow of the past.

Belichick sees it better than anyone, and has talked about it to the press. He is following and setting the trend to lighter, faster linebackers who can rush the passer, cover a TE or RB in coverage. Modern LBs are not being asked to body up with interior linemen to plug the run, nearly as much, they need to be fast to the edge and explosive in a blitz look.

BB has been recruiting a new brand of players along the defensive front, characterized by Collins, Mingo... even Patrick Chung playing a SS/LB hybrid. It used to be called the Big Nickel defense, but it is becoming increasingly the base defensive front.

So, I do not retract the idea that Mingo is a roster backfill for Mayo. He's a product of an entirely new recruiting profile, and represents a shift in philosophy.

Saw this tweet:

Could it possibly be...

We have two of them?!! :eek:

Maybe. However, of this is true, only one or none will be here next year. I was happy until I realized he's yet ANOTHER FA after this year :mad:. Look how many key members of this team are FAs after this season. It's stunning. And if most contribute like we expect/hope them most will most likely all be elsewhere next season.

Because of that, I'll enjoy this ride because it may/will be difficult to maintain it going forward.

The brilliance of BB is evidenced once again, in Cleveland Mingo was asked to do things he was not comfortable with... here BB plays to his strengths.

We have seen this over and over again, off the top of my head; Ninkovich, Sheard, Chung(not really but close enough as he floundered in other systems) and probably Mingo.. all these moves lead to a undefinable defense and perhaps changing the way the game is played from that side. BB has tried to get here before with mixed results, but the back 7 or 8 on D defy traditional description and will give O coordinators fits..

As much as BB is maligned as a talent evaluator, he excels in this area...

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: PP2
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand