PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Why has Welker not been extended?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyToAmendola

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Just wondering why we haven't heard anything about a possible extension for Welker. Seems like he is going to play this final year out and then head to free agency. Does the front office feel comfortable letting him go, or feel that the market for him isnt going to be very big and they can re-sign him for the same price, or what?

I'm worried if we let him get to free agency some team is going to give him a ton of money, possibly the Jets. Really wouldn't want to see that happen, just makes the most sense to lock him up now in my opinion.

Last edited:
Because a new contract hasn't been agreed upon.

I'm sure a lot of behind the sceens stuff goes on that we dont know about. I'm sure they aint letting him just walk away.

I'm sure a lot of behind the sceens stuff goes on that we dont know about. I'm sure they aint letting him just walk away.

I'm not sure about that at all. He's 30 and he's taken a lot of hits and he's been pretty banged up. He's a slot receiver so he's relatively easy to replace (Edelman can do 75% of his job for about 20% of the cost), and his market value probably isn't all that high (who wants to spend big money on a 31 year old slot receiver?)

I figure they let him play out his contract and re-sign him on the cheap if he played well and stayed healty..

I'm not sure about that at all. He's 30 and he's taken a lot of hits and he's been pretty banged up. He's a slot receiver so he's relatively easy to replace (Edelman can do 75% of his job for about 20% of the cost), and his market value probably isn't all that high (who wants to spend big money on a 31 year old slot receiver?)

I figure they let him play out his contract and re-sign him on the cheap if he played well and stayed healty..

hedge.jpg

So you think that Edelman can get 80 catches and 900 yds and 5 TD's a year?

So you think that Edelman can get 80 catches and 900 yds and 5 TD's a year?

No--maybe more like 60/600 if he's healthy for all 16 in 2012--but I don't think you can pencil Welker in for 1200 yards and 115 caches in 2012 either

No--maybe more like 60/600 if he's healthy for all 16 in 2012--but I don't think you can pencil Welker in for 1200 yards and 115 caches in 2012 either

I personally think Edelman tops out at 35 catches. He doesn't do the things Welker does, he does not get to open field like Welker does. For all the health issues around Welker he missed on game last year and that was the last game of the year. Edelman has missed more time than that and did not tear his ACL. I think Edelman is overrated around here myself.

I personally think Edelman tops out at 35 catches. He doesn't do the things Welker does, he does not get to open field like Welker does. For all the health issues around Welker he missed on game last year and that was the last game of the year. Edelman has missed more time than that and did not tear his ACL. I think Edelman is overrated around here myself.

Edelman had 37 catches as a rookie.

But even if Edelman isn't the guy you can fill the short and intermediate receiving role with some combo of Gronk/Hernandez/a cheap pickup (like the jet look like they'll get this year with Kerley)/ the running backs.

Edelman had 37 catches as a rookie.

But even if Edelman isn't the guy you can fill the short and intermediate receiving role with some combo of Gronk/Hernandez/a cheap pickup (like the jet look like they'll get this year with Kerley)/ the running backs.

And 7 last year.

Because a new contract hasn't been agreed upon.

:confused:

Um, yeah, that's kind of the point of this thread, I'm asking why a new contract has not been agreed upon...

I think they're taking a close look at Welker's odometer and the fact that his performance/production is very high now, which means he commands a high price. It's like when the Red Sox let Johnny Damon go. He was still playing very well when he left, but soon after his production dropped off.

How old is he? 30? And he plays in a position in which he sustains a lot of wear-and-tear.

Edit: He could be a franchise tag candidate if they don't care to place it on BM.

Last edited:
I am with Shelterdog's line of thinking. Welker is a very good player who will play out his full contract (which was what 22 million?) and then things will go from there. With Hernandez and Edelman and the many slot receivers out there I am not especially anxious about this position. Plus I think Wes will sign a Bruschi type contract to retire a Patriot.

I am a huge fan of Edelman-he proved it to me in the first few games of 2009 with Welker out and then he along with Kevin Faulk were our best two offensive players against the Ravens in the Playoff. Last year I give him a pass and he did do well as a punt returner. Think he has the potential to be special like Wes.

I think he'll resign, him and TB12 have a chemistry with each other.

I am with Shelterdog's line of thinking. Welker is a very good player who will play out his full contract (which was what 22 million?) and then things will go from there. With Hernandez and Edelman and the many slot receivers out there I am not especially anxious about this position. Plus I think Wes will sign a Bruschi type contract to retire a Patriot.

I am a huge fan of Edelman-he proved it to me in the first few games of 2009 with Welker out and then he along with Kevin Faulk were our best two offensive players against the Ravens in the Playoff. Last year I give him a pass and he did do well as a punt returner. Think he has the potential to be special like Wes.

While I'd love it if he re-signed for the cheap, I don't think it'll happen when considering the fact that he was hoping to get a new contract before he blew out his knee in the week 17 Texans game at the end of the 2009 season. He might not try to squeeze out every penny, but Bruschi's deal was well below his fair market value, which I don't see Welker duplicating.

No need to fear Welker will be here! They will give him a contract. They did for Mankins after all!

While I'd love it if he re-signed for the cheap, I don't think it'll happen when considering the fact that he was hoping to get a new contract before he blew out his knee in the week 17 Texans game at the end of the 2009 season. He might not try to squeeze out every penny, but Bruschi's deal was well below his fair market value, which I don't see Welker duplicating.

From Mike Reiss, back in May:

[Welker] said last weekend that he's made more money than he ever imagined and from here on out, everything is icing on the cake. That sounds to me like a player who isn't necessarily looking to break the bank, appreciates his current lot in NFL life, and might be more willing to find a middle ground in a negotiation.

Last edited:
Because he's a 30-year-old slot receiver who clashes with the use of the young tight ends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes