Should the Patriots cut Tebow?

• Cut Tebow

Votes: 155 64.6%
  • Keep Tebow

Votes: 85 35.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we aren't a club or fraternity, its a cult remember? Big difference. I didn't set up that goat sacrifice to keep BB from cutting Tim for nothing.. ;)

What matters is that it got done, bro. ;)

The problem this argument has is those are all starting qbs and not 3rd string. If tebow was vying for a starting role your argument is fair and honestly spot on.

Tebow was a starting QB at one time.

That benefit of the doubt is probably the only reason why he wasn't shown the door after a horrific performance the other day against guys who will be bagging groceries in a couple of weeks.

If he doesn't do a lot better next time I suspect he might not get the same courtesy.

He was also being protected by grocery-baggers. Fair's fair. He also had only 10 yards less offensive production than Ryan Mallett on six more plays. A difference yes, but not a dramatic one.

He was also being protected by grocery-baggers. Fair's fair. He also had only 10 yards less offensive production than Ryan Mallett on six more plays. A difference yes, but not a dramatic one.

That is very true, good point.

Hence the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully we see a much better performance next time, and we get an idea of how BB really wants to use him.

I can't jump to any conclusions about Mallett's game the other night for obvious reasons. Hopefully we'll see more of him in the coming weeks. As I said before, he needs to show some progression.

It wouldn't surprise me if Tebow is cut before week one and is resigned every week we face a QB who's moble and he runs the scout team and then is released until the next time. Really there's no danger because I can't see anybody else picking him up and if they do so what.

That is very true, good point.

Hence the benefit of the doubt. Hopefully we see a much better performance next time, and we get an idea of how BB really wants to use him.

I can't jump to any conclusions about Mallett's game the other night for obvious reasons. Hopefully we'll see more of him in the coming weeks.

Curious as to why a judgement can be made on Tebow but not Mallett.

Tebow 31 total plays

Mallett 25 total plays.

I think, to answer the question in the OP, that the reason they signed Tebow was this: Most teams have a 3rd string QB. The Pats, with absolutely no risk to themselves in any way, thought that perhaps he might be a better 3rd string QB than what they had, because:

(1) Tebow brings something a little different than a traditional QB,
(2) like it or not, Tebow *has* won in the NFL, and winning experience helps,
(3) Tebow can also do other things for you (potentially) so you get a little more than just a 3rd string QB, and
(4) if they have to go with their 3rd string QB for a long time they're screwed anyway; maybe Tebow could hold down the fort for a short time period better than their existing QB3.

I really think it's that simple.

Curious as to why a judgement can be made on Tebow but not Mallett.

Tebow 31 total plays

Mallett 25 total plays.

Because I haven't seen enough of him this year to know whether he's progressed.

Because I haven't seen enough of him this year to know whether he's progressed.

OK and whilst I acknowledge that you haven't been as judgemental about Tebow as some, shouldn't Tebow get the same level of patience you're affording Mallett?

I think, to answer the question in the OP, that the reason they signed Tebow was this: Most teams have a 3rd string QB. The Pats, with absolutely no risk to themselves in any way, thought that perhaps he might be a better 3rd string QB than what they had, because:

(1) Tebow brings something a little different than a traditional QB,
(2) like it or not, Tebow *has* won in the NFL, and winning experience helps,
(3) Tebow can also do other things for you (potentially) so you get a little more than just a 3rd string QB, and
(4) if they have to go with their 3rd string QB for a long time they're screwed anyway; maybe Tebow could hold down the fort for a short time period better than their existing QB3.

I really think it's that simple.

1) So did Michael Bishop. Remember him? How did he work out?

2) Not this "QB's win" thing again... nah I won't go there.

3) Agreed - and this is what I want to see

4) If something really bad happens to Brady and Mallett then I think any "benefit" that a TT would bring vs a JAG QB - while it would be more exciting to fans - and a coach that made Matt Cassel look good would probably do the same for TT... that IMO would not be sufficient enough to make this team's season end any differently than Cassel's did. Some of which isn't Tebow's fault, this team's personnel can't run the kind of offense Denver did.

OK and whilst I acknowledge that you haven't been as judgemental about Tebow as some, shouldn't Tebow get the same level of patience you're affording Mallett?

Well I admit that I am a Mallett fan... and maybe it's naive but I would like to say one day that he is Brady's heir apparent. And I don't think he's been put in a position yet to demonstrate to BB what the team has or doesn't have with him.

So I am trying to be patient, but that has limits. I think he needs to show us something this preseason and I'm admittedly not that excited about what I've seen so far in 2013.

As for TT I think he's here for a reason and I would like to see that reason manifest itself soon. A performance like the other night doesn't help. I want to see him earn his way on this team and not just be handed a spot because he is Tim Tebow...unlike what many might think this team didn't sign him to be charitable or throw a bone to his fans.

1) So did Michael Bishop. Remember him? How did he work out?

Bishop never had to see the field. Thankfully. No matter who our 3rd string QB is, we ALL hope he never has to see the field in meaningful minutes, because that would mean bad things for the Patriots.

2) Not this "QB's win" thing again... nah I won't go there.

That's fine if you don't want to go there.

3) Agreed - and this is what I want to see

I hope we don't have to see much of Tebow at all, even in some other capacity.

4) If something really bad happens to Brady and Mallett then I think any "benefit" that a TT would bring vs a JAG QB - while it would be more exciting to fans - and a coach that made Matt Cassel look good would probably do the same for TT... that IMO would not be sufficient enough to make this team's season end any differently than Cassel's did. Some of which isn't Tebow's fault, this team's personnel can't run the kind of offense Denver did.

Peter King had an interesting stat from the first preseason game: With Tebow running the offense, they averaged 5.4 yards per carry on the "option" plays. They did have some success moving the ball. Can Tebow run the same offense Brady can? No way on earth. Can he do *something* productive? Yes, he almost certainly can.

All I'm saying is that the combination of these four things probably were enough for BB to say, sure, let's give him a look.

Bishop never had to see the field. Thankfully. No matter who our 3rd string QB is, we ALL hope he never has to see the field in meaningful minutes, because that would mean bad things for the Patriots.

That's fine if you don't want to go there.

I hope we don't have to see much of Tebow at all, even in some other capacity.

Peter King had an interesting stat from the first preseason game: With Tebow running the offense, they averaged 5.4 yards per carry on the "option" plays. They did have some success moving the ball. Can Tebow run the same offense Brady can? No way on earth. Can he do *something* productive? Yes, he almost certainly can.

All I'm saying is that the combination of these four things probably were enough for BB to say, sure, let's give him a look.

But that was the Broncos in 2010-11. I have no doubt that BB would optimize the offense for TT - I mean he did it for Cassel so it's foolish to think he won't be able to do it for Tebow... but that 5.4 YPC is in a Denver offense that had the personnel and the scheme to pull it off. While he might be able to do "something" productive here I'm not optimistic that it would be like it was there.

Wow; so you'd rather have Edelman out there if Brady is hurt and Mallet gets injured than Tebow?

Nope not what I said at all. I said I want my 3rd string guy to be Julien Edelman. Understand. What does Eds have to to with TT?

I will give you a hint. It has to do with roster spots.

The problem this argument has is those are all starting qbs and not 3rd string. If tebow was vying for a starting role your argument is fair and honestly spot on.

and the problem with your arguement is why would we keep a player that is incapable of producing Starter quality numbers after having been a starting QB primarily focused on the read option?

because josh preferred to have Tebow in camp inatead if Kafka?

Camp fodder is not expected to be of "starting quality".

and the problem with your arguement is why would we keep a player that is incapable of producing Starter quality numbers after having been a starting QB primarily focused on the read option?

With Tebow running the offense, they averaged 5.4 yards per carry on the "option" plays.

Yeah I mean that sounds great 5.4 yards per carry!

Against 3rd stringers, playing vanilla defense.

With brady in the game Yards per carry: 11.87
With mallet in the game yards per carry: 10.28

So sure, His run production was about half as good as when brady was in, and a little better then half as good as when mallet was in.:bricks:

Man I can't wait for when Teebs is on the final 53. I can already hear the cacophony of self-righteous histrionics...

I think if mallet and brady both went down we would be much more likely to see them bring back Kafka, or if he isnt already on a team hoyer, then start tebow.

MG is 100% correct with this assessment. I’d even add it was Belichick and Patricia’s preference as well; in Kafka we had a quarterback that fit the mold of Brady and Mallett as a pocket quarterback, in Tebow we bring a guy into camp that forces our receivers (WR/RB/TE) to make decisions on how and when to break off routes, come back to the quarterback, set blocks, etc. and on the flip side Tebow gives our defensive players something completely different to defend against, it allows them to practice quarterback spying, sticking with the receivers when the quarterback breaks the pockets, and so much more that I don’t even have the football IQ to outline.

It was an excellent decision to bring a guy like Tebow in for training camp, he is a hard working guy, high character, and probably a good example for young players. If you accept the fact he's not a very good quarterback and has a 5% chance of making the roster you will see that him being here is at the end of the day a positive and he is doing exactly what I’m sure Belichick expected he would do, help them practice. If the speculation that he was brought in for more than just a camp arm stopped the questioning of why he is here would probably stop as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore