Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What impactful player will the Patriots add?

• Marvin Jones

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Golden Tate

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Braxton Miller

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Kendall Wright

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Waiver wire Jag

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • Ray Lewis might of hurt some people.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • Goodell suspends Brady for lack of wrs

Votes: 15 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
And if we start the season zero and two, will we still be hyping the new guys?
It’s always good to be on the optimistic side, but honestly, I’m not even hyping the old guys, let alone the new. Until Julian Edelman returns, it’s definitely a work in progress.

Everyone will begin hyping up these guys. I am just gonna wait and see what they do come next Sunday.

Nothing. They will be inactive or at the very best get 1-2 snaps. This move is about November, December and next offseason and not about improvement now. That being said it is a flier so they might as well be gone before they even sniff a single snap.

Brady and McDaniels have more to with castoffs succeeding on offense than Belichick does.

No sh it? Really?

So, the guy who designs the plays that (hopefully) optimize the skill sets of the players, and the guy who actually throws them the ball, have more to do with the success of the players on the field than the guy (one of the guys, actually) who tries to find the players who might be useful for the offense?

I had no idea.

I looked through that Twitter thread Lazar had on Darboh and am kinda intrigued. His route running seemed pretty good. If the staff can coach him up a bit on dealing with press and he can improve coming in and out of his cuts he could be more useful than I initially thought.

Here is the start of his mini dive into him:

@BaconGrundleCandy any insight into him ? Would love to hear your opinion on that guy and his strengths/weaknesses.

I like Darboh. I like Hansen more. I think he'll stick on the team and become pretty good.

Also, I know we're 'win now', but next draft class is going to be loaded at WR.

Burkhead is a banana. 3 carries and 3 weeks on the trainer’s table.

We really need a plan b that does not start with Chung.
Burkhead has been great when he is in there....problem as you say....he can never stay HEALTHY!!! I wish they had kept Webb....in case the “banana” can’t make it back again

So we bring two more guys that are basically the same.

Patriots' "draft after the draft" strategy is actually pretty simple. Get some NFL tape on some guys that are developmental, but show productivity in the skillsets they're looking for. This allows them a lot of cap flexibility while letting other teams basically be their farm system. Vrabel. Nink. Hogan. There are other examples throughout the tenure.

Additionally, you do this at the end of the roster where they can prove out in practice. This means a wider cap based across the entire roster instead of invested highly in every front line position (Khalil Mack says hello). This is highly frustrating to stat guys who want to see big numbers at every 'sexy' position, but as a long term strategy usually gives the team an ability to maneuver and test these additional "draft picks" for lack of a better term.

And yes, many/most do not pan out, but it's so low cost and risk that the hits are well worth the high number of misses.

Patriots' "draft after the draft" strategy is actually pretty simple. Get some NFL tape on some guys that are developmental, but show productivity in the skillsets they're looking for. This allows them a lot of cap flexibility while letting other teams basically be their farm system. Vrabel. Nink. Hogan. There are other examples throughout the tenure.

Additionally, you do this at the end of the roster where they can prove out in practice. This means a wider cap based across the entire roster instead of invested highly in every front line position (Khalil Mack says hello). This is highly frustrating to stat guys who want to see big numbers at every 'sexy' position, but as a long term strategy usually gives the team an ability to maneuver and test these additional "draft picks" for lack of a better term.

And yes, many/most do not pan out, but it's so low cost and risk that the hits are well worth the high number of misses.

They have extensive tape, live scouting and combined analysis for many thousands of players in college and their first few pro years. People follow these guys a long time. Then they find guys whose strengths play in the system and who can meet the demands of playing in Foxborough. Like you say, there is a development period, which often takes a full season or more.

I would say they invest heavily in a few key positions (TB, HT, Gilmore, Gronk) and then hope to be “average plus” everywhere else. If you are a bit above average everywhere and those players mesh well into a good system, you play good football, make the playoffs every year and have a good shot at the AFCCG/SB. Getting the Ninks and Vrabel and Van Noys and is just another part of that process.

They have extensive tape, live scouting and combined analysis for many thousands of players in college and their first few pro years. Then they go through Filene’s Baement/ Century 21 to get the

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes