PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Will Come to Camp On The Defensive Line

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
THE DISASTER AT DEFENSIVE LINE (I generally list Winovich and Calhoun as EDGE, rather than here)

FREE AGENTS
Guy
Butler
Wise
Simon

COMING BACK
Cowart
Allen
(Mack)
(Spence)
(Bower)

Got into the loud mouth soup today so I’m going to throw this out here and say bring in Robert Nkemdiche and his baggage as a camp look. Just a look..

Otherwise..hopefully bring Guy back, wave bye to Simon, and add a high end FA and/or draft pick to the DL. Look to a fatty 6’2 330lb+ guy in the mid rounds to develop as well on the interior. Wise wouldn’t hurt as a low price depth piece ideally, but not someone who should get any significant reps.

If Allen can play to his contract, great, but really have no baseline expectation for him looking at next year.

I would have no problem bringing back Guy, Butler and Wise. Along with acquiring a NT and another top tier DT.
Play Wise at End where he belongs, not at DT.

THE DISASTER AT DEFENSIVE LINE (I generally list Winovich and Calhoun as EDGE, rather than here)

FREE AGENTS
Guy
Butler
Wise
Simon

COMING BACK
Cowart
Allen
(Mack)
(Spence)
(Bower)
Guy
Allen
Cowart (meh)

I would have no problem bringing back Guy, Butler and Wise. Along with acquiring a NT and another top tier DT.
Play Wise at End where he belongs, not at DT.
Butler, infrequent flash on pass rush, Wise, been expecting him to be cut for last two years. Does very little for amount of time he gets. Does look good in the uniform.

i can only identify two starting caliber so far with guy on early down Butler on passing down, don't know obv if allen can be the legit nt we need
the rest plays like backup caliber

Definitely one of our biggest needs, out of the above players named, the only players worthy of bringing back are Guy and Butler as a Sub rusher. I think we hit this position hard in both f/a and in the draft.

I think Guy may be a guy they pay up for. Solid production and a good locker room guy. Maybe offer an extra mill to Butler and see if he comes back for $4 mill. Wise let walk unless he signs for cheap. Take Simon's keycard and shred it to pieces and bid him farewell.

I'm hoping for an extreme makeover in this position group. There are 3 free agents who might fit the bill: Leonard Williams (IDL or 5-tech DE), Sheldon Rankins (IDL), Dalvin Tomlinson (IDL). We need to invest in the front four and bring in somebody as a building block. Not sure if any of these three fit the bill even as a short-term patch. Let's predict Dalvin Tomlinson (6-3, 318).

Lawrence Guy is most likely to be back. He will turn 31 next year. This will be his 3rd contract, and likely a 2-year deal.
Deatrich Wise next most likely to be back.

Butler was an UDFA and will want to maximize earnings, likely elsewhere. Simon is older and his play has declined, he likely retires.

I would like to see them target QB in the 2nd round and use their 1st round pick on defensive line. My preference is Christian Barmore - Alabama. They might even be able to trade back a few spots, restore a 3rd rounder and still get him.

Extreme makeover:
Dalvin Tomlinson (6-3, 318)
Christian Barmore (6-5, 310)
Lawrence Guy
Deatrich Wise
Byron Cowart
Allen, Spence, Thurman, Mack, Bower

Blow it up! Release everyone especially Allen and start over.

I'm hoping for an extreme makeover in this position group. There are 3 free agents who might fit the bill: Leonard Williams (IDL or 5-tech DE), Sheldon Rankins (IDL), Dalvin Tomlinson (IDL). We need to invest in the front four and bring in somebody as a building block. Not sure if any of these three fit the bill even as a short-term patch. Let's predict Dalvin Tomlinson (6-3, 318).

Lawrence Guy is most likely to be back. He will turn 31 next year. This will be his 3rd contract, and likely a 2-year deal.
Deatrich Wise next most likely to be back.

Butler was an UDFA and will want to maximize earnings, likely elsewhere. Simon is older and his play has declined, he likely retires.

I would like to see them target QB in the 2nd round and use their 1st round pick on defensive line. My preference is Christian Barmore - Alabama. They might even be able to trade back a few spots, restore a 3rd rounder and still get him.

Extreme makeover:
Dalvin Tomlinson (6-3, 318)
Christian Barmore (6-5, 310)
Lawrence Guy
Deatrich Wise
Byron Cowart
Allen, Spence, Thurman, Mack, Bower
Great post. Realistic. I would love to see a DE, Richard Seymour type. Any chance of a DE late 1st round and skip Barmore for a DT in thé 2nd or 3rd round?

What do think of signing Bud Dupree? Hightower plus the kids will be good enough?

Last edited:
Guy and Butler are keepers but not sure re Allen (would we need to cover his place given his absence this season). The others need to step up and show they have more to give. BGC as usual has great info on who is showing in the draft at IDL and Edge

Great post. Realistic. I would love to see a DE, Richard Seymour type. Any chance of a DE late 1st round and skip Barmore for a DT in thé 2nd or 3rd round?

What do think of signing Bud Dupree? Hightower plus the kids will be good enough?
Keep Guy at modest contract, get rid of everyone else. I don't know if Hightower returns, have a feeling he won't. Butler is a backup. Wise needs to go. I would keep Allen if there is any projection of him being healthy for next season.

Who's coming to camp? Probably our first round pick in the upcoming draft and the other two guys we pick up in the later rounds.

Guy: our best DT, and the most expensive to re-sign because he'll absolutely have other suiters.

Butler: backup-caliber passing-down 3-tech only.

Wise: vet-minimum backup-caliber running-down 5-tech only.

Simon: Thanks for your service.

Little Lord Byron (could've had Darius Slayton) the Coward sucks, but he's on a cheap rookie deal.

Spence & Mack: vet-minimum camp bodies.

Sh!t-can Bowwower & that disgraceful, lay-about thief Fat Thor ASAP.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back