PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Will Be Re-signed/Extended Before Free Agency Starts?

James white is the biggest resign in my opinion.
Gotta get Sweet Feet back.
If he's healthy, I agree - I don't think he'll be signed until late in the game, though (Bedard said that he wasn't ready at this point).

Honestly, JC remains at the top, but he'll get too much, i think, for that to be a possibility.

I'm going with Karras as the top re-sign at this point. Solidifies both G and C.

I see McCourty back at a very similar one year contract. The guy played over 95% of the defensive snaps last year, had tons of tackles and 6 picks. Not bad for a guy who has supposedly lost a step.

Karras- I would like to see him back. He was better than I expected, but he could be upgraded. I just saw that the Bills released Jon Feliciano. He was hurt a lot of last season but in the past has been a very solid OG. Just a thought, but he's an example of what will be out there. The Titans just cut Roger Saffold, who has been pretty good. I think there will be a bunch of solid OL prospects out there to replace our FA's or improve our depth.

Trent Brown - I'd like him back, but not of any raise

Slater - I wonder if he'd take a cut to stay another year. I read where DMac is preparing for another season, I haven't heard anything about Slater.

Folk - He's a must sign.

White - We all love what James White has done over the years. BUT he had a bad year in 2020, He had a serious hip injury in 2021, he's getting up in years, PLUS both Harris and Stevenson catch the ball very well, so we won't be announcing a pass when White comes in. AND I think JJ is already a better runner than White. He also catches the ball well. He just needs to improve his pass blocking and HE can be the 3rd down back at a lower price.

I want to keep Gunner here. He was an ALL PRO PR in 2020 and was Jones' go to guy in the 2021 TC. Remember it took Edelman 4 or 5 years before he found a regular role in the offense.

I agree with cutting Bailey. His salary is too high for what we got. Not only was he erratic, he was also very slow to get the punt off. HE was the major reason a couple of those punt were blocked. Also there will be veteran guys out there. Bill always liked Anger

Godcheaux you keep at least until after the draft. If you can still grab Jones THEN I'd think about cutting or trading him

I'm pretty sure Aghular is going to be here. Even if we draft a WR as early as in the 2nd round, or, God forbid, the first.. It's going to take a year before he is ready to take over as a boundary receiver. Besides I believe He's going to go over 800 yds this season.
If McCourty is playing 95% of the defensive snaps next season we’re screwed

I agree that the players would likely be allowed to go into the tampering window.

1) I agree that Bentley is the most likely to be extended. We are likely saying goodbye to Van Noy, Hightower and Collins. It makes sense to bring back Bentley if we can. We have lots of prospects at LB, all question marks.

2) The second most likely to me is Folk. We really don't want to be out there looking for a decent kicker, and Folk is one of the best.

3) Several players seem likely to sign minimum contracts, with the team getting the veteran cap benefit. it doesn't really matter when. I see that happening to Bolden, Hoy and King.

4) I would like to see White, but this is no big deal. A 3rd down running won't cost a lot if we wait.

5) I think that Slater and McCourty could retire or come back. I suspect that the choice is theirs to make.

6) The BIG QUESTION MARKS are Karras and Brown. The OL could go from solid to disaster if we lose Karras and Brown. Also, Wynn is a free agent after this season. If they are not both re-signed, I see this as Belichick's very high priority in early free agency.
I think Hightower will be back.

If McCourty is playing 95% of the defensive snaps next season we’re screwed
If he isn’t playing 95% of the snaps we will be worse off.

If he isn’t playing 95% of the snaps we will be worse off.

We do not another free safety on the roster.

Mccourty lost a few steps last season and is fast approaching the cliff that most defensive backs fall off of.

Yes definitely need to resign mccourty. He's old and slow but played 95% of the snaps on a "top 3" defense last year. Top 3 that forced not a single punt in the playoff debacle. Or in the previous bills game. Maybe he's part of the reason? Always "in the right place" but just a step or two away and the guy catches the ball anyway. Heaven forbid he try to turn and defend the ball, wouldn't be prudent!

Rebuilding teams don't pay top $ for old washed up players. It's stupid. How about getting someone young and fast and cheap in there. Might have mistakes on a few plays but it's part of learning. No, no, stick with the "proven vets" and go for an 8 win season.

Oh, and sign slow as molasses hightower too. Top of the market, why not! He was good 5 years ago. Tree stumps have more athleticism than him.

McCourty only makes sense if he signs a contract that actually lowers his cap hits over the next two years.

I’ve never seen why everyone else thinks is he is good, I always see him as a day late and a dollar short on pretty much every play.

I will tell you this, if he isn’t re-signed before the new league year starts, he ain’t coming back. Because his voided year will be on the cap for $6.45 million, so if the Pats have any inclination to bring him back, they would do it before then to lessen that cap hit.

2022 League Year and Free Agency starts 4pm Eastern time 3/16/2022

McCourty only makes sense if he signs a contract that actually lowers his cap hits over the next two years.

I’ve never seen why everyone else thinks is he is good, I always see him as a day late and a dollar short on pretty much every play.

I will tell you this, if he isn’t re-signed before the new league year starts, he ain’t coming back. Because his voided year will be on the cap for $6.45 million, so if the Pats have any inclination to bring him back, they would do it before then to lessen that cap hit.
You bring up an excellent point. His degree of physicality has really regressed these past two years. He seems to let others do the dirty work while he cleans it up.

He seems to work hard to make sure he is second one in on tackles instead of being the primary.

We do not another free safety on the roster.

Mccourty lost a few steps last season and is fast approaching the cliff that most defensive backs fall off of.
Who are your 3 safeties?

If he's healthy, I agree - I don't think he'll be signed until late in the game, though (Bedard said that he wasn't ready at this point).

Honestly, JC remains at the top, but he'll get too much, i think, for that to be a possibility.

I'm going with Karras as the top re-sign at this point. Solidifies both G and C.

I don't think Karras will be back. There are plenty of guard needy teams. Including the Raiders. I would expect Karras to get a decent contract offer..

Bledsoe shows some promise and Mills is a better Safety than CB, though he may be needed at CB again.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back