PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who Will Be Re-signed/Extended Before Free Agency Starts?

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
We have a week. Who do you all think will be re-signed/extended before Free agency starts?

Hopefully Dmac, he should be priority number one.

At this point, I would say none of them. BB has shown that he is more than ready to let his veterans "test the FA waters" and then give the Pats a chance to match any offer they have out there. Just like with Hightower a few years ago when it came down to the Pats or the Jets for more money, he chose the Pats, because, well anything is better than being a Jete.

McCourty has been killing the Pats cap for years now, and will do so again this year, (he has two voided years that now count 6+ mil against the cap). He might be the only one they sign before the league year begins, just because they could get some cap relief if they do.

deleted wrong thread

Last edited:
They could sign nobody prior to the legal tampering window and I wouldn't be surprised. Testing the market is generally a player's best option.

There's plenty of guys who fit the profile for re-signing without seeing every other possible option, though. Karras, Brown, Bolden, Collins, and Hoyer have all played elsewhere and returned. McCourty, Hightower, White, and Slater have gotten the full free agency experience and then returned. McCourty, Hightower, Bolden, Collins, White, Hoyer, and Folk are all getting close to the end of their careers and could value familiarity and stability over anything else. So in that sense, I guess the only notable player I anticipate definitely choosing to hit the market is probably Bentley.

Anyone else surprised there haven’t been any contract restructures? Keep seeing all of these other teams clearing ten plus millions of dollars.

Hopefully Dmac, he should be priority number one.
He would be the one — his situation is like Brady’s was, where if he signs a new deal now the cap charges for the void years on his old contract won’t accelerate. But if he signs after the new league year begins - even with the Patriots - the cap charges will still accelerate.

So if they want to bring him back, they should be doing it now and not later.

Anyone else surprised there haven’t been any contract restructures? Keep seeing all of these other teams clearing ten plus millions of dollars.
Restructures are done on an as needed basis. The player has no say, so they can be done within a working day. Many teams have announced restructures because they needed to do so to get under the cap limit by the start of the season.

The patriots have over $9M in cap room, even after presuming the 2nd round tender for Myers. If more is need immediately, a restructure of Judon for over $6M is likely to be first. There are $11M more available if needed.

They could sign nobody prior to the legal tampering window and I wouldn't be surprised. Testing the market is generally a player's best option.

There's plenty of guys who fit the profile for re-signing without seeing every other possible option, though. Karras, Brown, Bolden, Collins, and Hoyer have all played elsewhere and returned. McCourty, Hightower, White, and Slater have gotten the full free agency experience and then returned. McCourty, Hightower, Bolden, Collins, White, Hoyer, and Folk are all getting close to the end of their careers and could value familiarity and stability over anything else. So in that sense, I guess the only notable player I anticipate definitely choosing to hit the market is probably Bentley.
I agree that the players would likely be allowed to go into the tampering window.

1) I agree that Bentley is the most likely to be extended. We are likely saying goodbye to Van Noy, Hightower and Collins. It makes sense to bring back Bentley if we can. We have lots of prospects at LB, all question marks.

2) The second most likely to me is Folk. We really don't want to be out there looking for a decent kicker, and Folk is one of the best.

3) Several players seem likely to sign minimum contracts, with the team getting the veteran cap benefit. it doesn't really matter when. I see that happening to Bolden, Hoy and King.

4) I would like to see White, but this is no big deal. A 3rd down running won't cost a lot if we wait.

5) I think that Slater and McCourty could retire or come back. I suspect that the choice is theirs to make.

6) The BIG QUESTION MARKS are Karras and Brown. The OL could go from solid to disaster if we lose Karras and Brown. Also, Wynn is a free agent after this season. If they are not both re-signed, I see this as Belichick's very high priority in early free agency.

I can see them getting DMac & Folk done. Depending on the price : maaaaaybe White.

I'd really like to see our two free agent O-line guys back(Trent Brown and Ted Karras) I thought they both played well when healthy last year. Both have also made statements about liking it here in New England.

Players that could be re-signed:
McCourty (assuming he is willing to take a decent deal)
Karras
Trent Brown (only if he realizes his injury history and his lack of production in other systems affects his salary)
Slater
Folk
White (depending on how he has recovered since hip injuries can be tricky)
Meyers (second round tender)
Gunner (lower level tender)

Potential extended/redone deal (converting salary into bonuses)
Judon (salary to bonus)
Henry (salary to bonus)
Jonathan Jones (extension)
Mason (extension)

Cuts
Godchaux
Bailey (would save $4 million vs. the cap and he was awful last year. Not sure even if he returns to 2020 form a punter is worth $4 million in base. He has the highest base salary of any punter in the league by a million dollars. Could be in line for an extension. I flipped a coin on which category to put him in. Depends on whether the Pats are confident he can return to 2020 form.)
Harry
Agholor (will try to trade. McDaniels might be interested since he knows his system and has a rapore with Carr)

Players that could be re-signed:
McCourty (assuming he is willing to take a decent deal)
Karras
Trent Brown (only if he realizes his injury history and his lack of production in other systems affects his salary)
Slater
Folk
White (depending on how he has recovered since hip injuries can be tricky)
Meyers (second round tender)
Gunner (lower level tender)

Potential extended/redone deal (converting salary into bonuses)
Judon (salary to bonus)
Henry (salary to bonus)
Jonathan Jones (extension)
Mason (extension)

Cuts
Godchaux
Bailey (would save $4 million vs. the cap and he was awful last year. Not sure even if he returns to 2020 form a punter is worth $4 million in base. He has the highest base salary of any punter in the league by a million dollars. Could be in line for an extension. I flipped a coin on which category to put him in. Depends on whether the Pats are confident he can return to 2020 form.)
Harry
Agholor (will try to trade. McDaniels might be interested since he knows his system and has a rapore with Carr)
I see McCourty back at a very similar one year contract. The guy played over 95% of the defensive snaps last year, had tons of tackles and 6 picks. Not bad for a guy who has supposedly lost a step.

Karras- I would like to see him back. He was better than I expected, but he could be upgraded. I just saw that the Bills released Jon Feliciano. He was hurt a lot of last season but in the past has been a very solid OG. Just a thought, but he's an example of what will be out there. The Titans just cut Roger Saffold, who has been pretty good. I think there will be a bunch of solid OL prospects out there to replace our FA's or improve our depth.

Trent Brown - I'd like him back, but not of any raise

Slater - I wonder if he'd take a cut to stay another year. I read where DMac is preparing for another season, I haven't heard anything about Slater.

Folk - He's a must sign.

White - We all love what James White has done over the years. BUT he had a bad year in 2020, He had a serious hip injury in 2021, he's getting up in years, PLUS both Harris and Stevenson catch the ball very well, so we won't be announcing a pass when White comes in. AND I think JJ is already a better runner than White. He also catches the ball well. He just needs to improve his pass blocking and HE can be the 3rd down back at a lower price.

I want to keep Gunner here. He was an ALL PRO PR in 2020 and was Jones' go to guy in the 2021 TC. Remember it took Edelman 4 or 5 years before he found a regular role in the offense.

I agree with cutting Bailey. His salary is too high for what we got. Not only was he erratic, he was also very slow to get the punt off. HE was the major reason a couple of those punt were blocked. Also there will be veteran guys out there. Bill always liked Anger

Godcheaux you keep at least until after the draft. If you can still grab Jones THEN I'd think about cutting or trading him

I'm pretty sure Aghular is going to be here. Even if we draft a WR as early as in the 2nd round, or, God forbid, the first.. It's going to take a year before he is ready to take over as a boundary receiver. Besides I believe He's going to go over 800 yds this season.

Let Bentley GO!

I agree with cutting Bailey. His salary is too high for what we got. Not only was he erratic, he was also very slow to get the punt off. HE was the major reason a couple of those punt were blocked. Also there will be veteran guys out there. Bill always liked Anger
I agree that Bailey isn't worth $4M. I think that the number in his contract meant and means that he will be extended or let go. I favor extension.

I agree that Bailey isn't worth $4M. I think that the number in his contract meant and means that he will be extended or let go. I favor extension.
Bailey pay this year exceeds his entire contract that he signed. Because of the proven performance escalator which will most likely get him cut.

Unless Slater is coming back literally for free, there is absolutely no point in bringing him back. For what?? Spare me the intangibles too. Same with McCourty. He's old and not that good anymore... $23 million we gifted this player for the last two seasons. That $15 million flushed down the toilet for franchising Thuney in 2020, combined with the $12 million they wasted on McCourty... hmm... how could they have better spent that $25-plus million??

When you look at our FAs, most of them are best suited for Bill's system. I doubt many of them garner much attention (aside for JC, Brown & Karras) especially the older dudes. Bill can sign a bunch of these guys for vet minimums and may do just that (God I hope not).

Last edited:
Re-signing some of the older players on defense means that the younger will not get a chance to be on the field and develop. I hope they move on from the veteran players to improve speed on defense. It is not the job of the veteran players to coach the younger players. Most teams hire coaches to do that.

James white is the biggest resign in my opinion.
Gotta get Sweet Feet back.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back