PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Who should the Pats have signed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosey threetupu

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
Week 3 is behind us and week 4 is a few days away.

In the meantime who do you think the Pats missed out on in free agency in the past several seasons? I'm not talking Julius Peppers max contract or Steve Smith redundancy. Who's earned or exceeded their contact on another team the Pats might have been in on?

Terrell Pryor immediately comes to mind. He was available for anyone who wanted him a couple years ago, but a lot of teams passed because he was trying to convert from QB to WR. The Pats even had him in for a workout.

In hindsight, he would've added a hell of a dimension to our WR corps -- something kinda like what Michael Floyd was for last year, except actually good. To be fair, WR was a position of relative strength at the time, although we didn't have anyone who offered what he brings to the table. And with the WR corps in its current state, we're definitely missing out now. Even Mike Lombardi--who was working here when the Pats worked him out--has acknowledged that it was a huge miss.

Last edited:
Pryor and Emmanuel Sanders immediately come to mind. If you eliminate all the big $ deals and consider the strength of our roster, I can't think of too many we missed out on that we shouldn't have.

Sanders would've been great here, still sad that we didn't get him. Almost had him too, had him signed to a deal as an RFA but the Steelers matched.

Akiem Hicks

He was one of the first guys I thought of too, but the Bears gave him 4/$48M with a $7.5M signing bonus. Very good player that the Pats wanted to keep, but for that kind of money the Bears can have him. I'll take Alan Branch for a third of the money, minimal guarantees, and a much shorter term.

Who would Pryor have displaced? Any "non-skill" players, i.e., either line since they seem to catch a lot of flack?

Who would Pryor have displaced? Any "non-skill" players, i.e., either line since they seem to catch a lot of flack?

Possibly Hogan, although I think we would've gone for him anyway. It's possible he would have pushed Amendola off the roster or precluded Mitchell from being drafted in the first place. Not really sure, but he's good enough that there are a lot of people he could have displaced and made the team better in doing so.

Tough to find weak spots on this team over the past several years but there must have been a DL or C that was on the market?

Also, didn't the Pats put in a pretty competitive offer on Sanders pre- UFA) obv they missed)?

We had him signed to a deal when he was a RFA, but the Steelers matched it unfortunately. Then the next year he hit UFA and signed with the Broncos.

He was one of the first guys I thought of too, but the Bears gave him 4/$48M with a $7.5M signing bonus. Very good player that the Pats wanted to keep, but for that kind of money the Bears can have him. I'll take Alan Branch for a third of the money, minimal guarantees, and a much shorter term.

Chicago initially signed him in free agency (where the Pats had their shot) for a 2 year, $5m/year contract. Only a few weeks ago did Chicago give him that huge extension.

The Patriots basically offered Hicks a nice career as a 50% snap count rotational defensive tackle. Credit to him for betting that he’d vastly increase his value by going to a team that would let him play 86% of the defensive snaps.

I was thinking Marshaun Lynch because I knew he went for pennies on the dollar but looked it up and remembered he got traded. For pennies on the dollar.

Chicago initially signed him in free agency (where the Pats had their shot) for a 2 year, $5m/year contract. Only a few weeks ago did Chicago give him that huge extension.

Oh damn, I must've misremembered that big time. Yeah, for 2/$5M keeping him should have been a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes